LOL Is this real? (The Land Trigger warning)

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Kidlike101, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I was browsing and someone online called attention to this regarding the new Land book.

I'm an audiable junkie and the longest book I've ever gotten from them was 19 hours long (One of the Shaman books that was really mostly filler)

So... can this actually be real? Like not a collection volumes 1 - 5 million sort of thing... just one book

[​IMG]

Kingmarz111 likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder how much is just reading stat screens of skills/powers that might never even be used...

3. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well knowing this series there will be at least a page or two of stats at the end of each chapter but still.... That's two days worth of audio, How did he even?!?

Did he just give them an unedited audio of his last D&D campaign? Because otherwise I'm thinking he was trying for something none book related like an award for longest audio or something prestige related to wear as a badge of honor.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  4. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wow...

5. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

6. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Last I knew it was a really long book, so yeah it might take that long to audio it

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You know the words per hour average?

8. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For one Audible Credit, that is quite a deal.
    I may not be a fan of The Land, but I'm sure his fans are loving that bargain.

9. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Apperently for most books its about 150wpm although with litrpg from my experience as there are lots of pauses while reading stats i wouldent be suprised if it was more like 100wpm although i might be wrong i havent timed it

Yuli Ban and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yikes.

Part of me is triggered. No, not by that. I mean, my experience with KU scams makes me want to think this isn't legit, but it's an audiobook and even has loads of five star reviews, so I don't know. Maybe there's a bunch of extra material? Author commentary?

11. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well according to FB it's really 47 hours long with the KU book being 2200+ pages. Looking through the audible comments I wouldn't put much stock into the five star reviews

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And it keeps going, in the comments people are flat out telling you they're rating five everything before reading the book.

In the more recent reviews they still give a full five everything but grumble in the comment section and discribe something that would usually be three stars or less.

Must be nice to have such a loyal *coughmindlesscough* fan base.

12. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]
    It's listed on Amazon has having over 2200 pages.

By contrast, King's The Stand (which is super long) only has 1300 or so....

So. Wow. I mean, I'm sure 75% of that is probably charts and filler and rambling nonsense, but it's almost impressive how dedicated he was to just...keep on going...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    RauthrMystic likes this.
  13. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Keep in mind that King had to remove 700 pages from that particular book because they told him it would cut into profits for thing to be so thick. an unabridged version came out due to popular demand BUT he only added in 400 of the removed pages saying :-

I'm not as vulgar as that!

When asked about adding in all of them.

What I mean to say is I think that Monster of a tome is more quantity then quality. I'd rather have 300 pages of a well written story full of originality and every world carefully weighed... then a rambling never ending mess!

CheshirePhoenix, RauthrMystic and Jay like this.
  14. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was mentioning this and my SO said he had a 40+ hour audio book. It's The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I've read it and it is a very long, but also very good book that kicks off the Stormlight Archives series.

However, The Way of Kings is listed as 1000 pages. So basically, it takes just as long to read Kong's 2200 page book as one that's 1000 pages of packed story? Makes me think that those extra 1200 pages are just...filler charts and lists. o_O

15. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can you do that though? Make a book that's nothing but charts and stats?

Seems... sad....

Oddly enough I just found a notice in my inbox from this particular author promoting the audio titled WE BROKE AUDIBLE and THE BOOK THAT BROKE AUDIBLE!

Would a super long book cause the website to crash? I know it's listed as a best seller but he was marketing the hell out of it so no surprise. I want an army of zombie fans too!!! *Sobs*

RauthrMystic and Jay like this.
  16. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I will admit to having glanced at the "free sample" on Kindle. The answer is yes. That sample was probably 60%+ just...charts, lists, and color-coded nonsense that didn't really mean anything or do anything, but involve the MC either patting himself on the back about how talented he was or pondering what points to spend in what.

RauthrMystic and Viergacht like this.
  17. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So he never grew up from book 1.

I got that for free and was bored of it from chapter one. A one sentence common joke requires a full chapter to say and the MC is a power trip for the author. Clearly a self insertion.

I heard that further in you get all the lovely stereotypes of the 90's just dressed up in fantasy genres so teehee can't call me racists *the author sticks his thumbs in his ears and nah nahs you*

Example:-

Opening of book 1 and how all this began:-

Satan is bored, everything in this realm is so predictable... you know the D&D realm that all players wish to live in. The one with fantastical adventures, Magic and mystery.

It's boring.

So he devises to get humans in to and stir things up a bit, calling them Chaos seeds (because seeds of chaos is more accurate but taken) .

How does he do that?

I kid you not, he adds a bit in the terms and conditions agreement of a VR game that by clicking the yes box you sell your soul to him. He pulls you in as part of his property.

That joke is so old dust came out of the apple employee that first said it... then he got fired as it lowered his IQ and attractiveness by 20 points instantly!

Viergacht and Jay like this.
  18. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pretty much!

And if anything, he's regressed from Book 1 as hard as that might be to believe. It seemed like in the beginning he was 'trying'. Now the series has enough followers he can just go off on being as immature a bro as he wants and everyone just gasps and pats his back and tells him he's brilliant. Which is a shame because honestly, it feels like there were some good kernels in the series, at least originally. A good editor could probably make something pretty decent from it.

RauthrMystic and Viergacht like this.
  19. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I still really, really want the final book to be that he's revealed to be the villain.

Kingmarz111 and Jay like this.
  20. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Even then it'll be like he's evil but in a cool way and the other person deserved is so Anti-hero at worse... bro...

Nah in power fantasy you're never the bad guy, That actually requires effort to pull as the motivations have to be just. More that your methods are what make you "bad". Disney's old villians were so memorable because you got where they came from. You don't agree with them and it's clear in your mind that they're bad guys but they weren't mindless thugs or pretenous pricks like 99% of all movies and series nowadays.

Jay likes this.