Kid (7+) friendly pen and paper RPG?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by nightwriter, Nov 9, 2018.

1. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My son came back from the school and brought a paper with a "gameplan" on it. Looks like they play with friends during the school breaks some sort of made-up game where they mine and trade resources. I was pretty amazed with it actually.

He is into tabletop games lately, plays a lot of chess in the club, also our local take on Monopoly.

Now, I never played "real" RPG kind of games myself , but seeing how he likes the roleplaying aspect I thought we could try it if there were some books or games for the younger audience. Does any of you know if there is anything like that out there? Scifi themed would be better I think.

Windfall and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can't think of anything off-hand. My nephew enjoys Talisman board game a lot. It's kind of a "basic" RPG in some ways.

Their made-up game sounds fun! Heh.

nightwriter likes this.
  3. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was rather impressed. I will see if I find something simple enough. Maybe we will play his game :)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Maikel Yarimizu

Maikel Yarimizu Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You might want to look into a mini-module called "Heroes of Hesiod." It's a D&D-lite game intended for elementary schoolers. And if it's too basic, it also serves as an excellent base for applying more advanced and/or homebrew material. I ran a game with some EFL students for the better part of a year, starting from that base module and transfusing it with a heaping helping of Dragon Quest.