Killobyte by Piers Anthony

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, May 15, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, yes, the author of the Xanth series. [Insert fond memories...]

While not "technically" modern litRPG (i.e. there's no stats/leveling), this story does take place in a game world, and it deserves to be recognized as a forefather of LitRPG...

Yuli Ban and Tony Breeden like this.
  2. Tony Breeden

Tony Breeden Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually, the book is recognizably LitRPG the way Frankenstein and Kepler's Somnium are science fiction despite existing before the genre was established. This being the case, why isn't Piers Anthony touted as the Father of American LitRPG over that opportunistic fellow who supposes all one needs to do is trademark a genre name?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I think Quag Keep is actually the first of our genre. Then Guardians of the Flame. Andre Norton is the Mother of LitRPG (and dragons)?! ;)

4. LelulaGames

LelulaGames Author Crissy Moss LitRPG Author Citizen

47%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I remember reading this book in high school. I loved it! It's one of my favorites from him.

Why isn't he named as the father? Because Piers Anthony is a quite person who lives on a tree farm and doesn't need any titles or ego boosting. Titles that are not freely given by others is just to make yourself seem more important than you actually are..