Labyrinth World

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Johan, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Now that I think about it, Your comment makes so much sense why book 8 was so short and had literally no plot advancement. If he has to change the very foundation of his world building mechanics of The Land to match his new series which will be located in the Labyrinth. Especially since he doesn't talk about tiers in any of his books in The Land series except for book 8.

Mister Bill likes this.
  2. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don’t know about that, i could be that all the mechanics we are seeing in gods eye are from the perspective of a god. They could easily have a different view of mortals. There is also the fact that telos was a low mana world from the start. That would also have an effect of things like stats and abilities. Add in the whole cultivation of faith thing and remy has the ability to become massively op in a relatively short period. With good management skills at least. With crappy management skills he is just screwed.

3. Belgared

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean the tier that a race has, which as far as I can recall didn't exist till book 8 brought up tiers for races, and evolving into higher tiers of races.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  4. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the new mechanics I have seen are all dependent upon being a god or worshiping a god. The exception I guess is Energy, which is something we haven't seen revealed in The Land, but might pop up as a limiting factor for Richter eventually. I will be shocked if we don't eventually see the MV adopt worship of Zero Fell.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We do see differently ranked souls among the pantherkin: Common, Uncommon, and Limited.

6. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I’m thinking the motes of light connecting the the planets are the God Nodes.

Johan, Waterhobit and darkenedstar like this.
  7. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is possible that the race tiers are just another way to express things like the kobold/goblin cast systems. Those casts had very clear differences in them, and it was far more than political/social standing that determined them. Evolutionary tiers are likely a different subject all together. Given the power of the dragonkin race it would probably be a higher tier race like tier 4+, but only a tier 2 evolution.

8. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can’t disagree with that.

9. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So Fell using the God Nodes stumble upon??? The Land... The MV??? Has a strong pull towards Richter, bing bang pow... the Mist village worships him.

Side note: is Richters “sponsor” the lords of chaos. Or is there one individual pulling strings for both him and Remy

10. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    2tymes = I suspect that Richters Supporter is most likely to probably be the Lords of Chaos. Although it could also possibly be himself due to some type Timey Whymie effect, or considering Gods Eye it might be more likely that it might be Remy via Timey Whymie methods?

DarkenedStar = Different Caste/versions of Kobolds&Goblins is probably more likely to be down to Ranks of Species then Tiers, at least in the most common part. Might be Connected to Soul Rank as well?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  11. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would be shocked if they didn't come to blows eventually. Richter's uncle is a ruthless psychopath with no meaningful connection to any of his worshippers. Richter can be ruthless as well, but nowhere near the same degree we see from Zero Fell. Richter has a monster inside him, but Zero Fell is basically his own monster, which is ok. It makes sense for the character, but I doubt many of the villagers would have a good resonance with him.

A pantheon makes a lot more sense when the most effective god-worshipper pairings are the ones where the god has a high synergy with their worshippers. Someone like the elf goddess would make a good addition to a village pantheon, as she could represent the more morally rigid and longlived/ unchanging races.

Gotta say I found this new series is far less entertaining than the Land. None of the side characters had any depth and the entire plot was basically just Remy following a line in the sand laid out before him by the lords of chaos. Can't say i'd give it more than 3 stars standing on its own. Than again, I wouldn't give the first land book more than 3, but that's due to the system rather than the story. Its going to be a lot harder to get this story moving than it was to develop the systems underpinning the land universe.

Belgared likes this.
  12. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I disagree Remmy seemed pretty upset by the loss of his followers:
    In the heat of battle, he couldn’t care less about the drop in Devotion, but losing Ghost and Leaf were hard hits. Of all the razin, his acolytes were the ones he’d become closest to over the past few days. While his heart was hardened after years of battle, losing close comrades could still pierce his emotional walls.

Svaroth is an example of a ruthless psychopath. Remmy is far from it.

Mister Bill likes this.
  13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Swaroth is an asshole supremacist who genuinely doesn't consider mortals worthy of life and attention. I'm guessing this will be a fairly common attitude among evil gods which I think will be the vast majority of contenders. The good thing is that most of the evil gods we have seen were too selfish to cooperate with each other, so in the long run neutral gods like Remy and even good gods are likely to catch up as they forge stronger pantheons.

Lone gods will start having a hard time at that point.

Mister Bill likes this.
  14. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    While i have to agree that remy is ruthless as hell and has little emotional connection to his worshippers, he is also not even remotely a psychopath or even a sociopath. I can say the he appears to be the type to not give a damn about anyone unless they prove worth their time. Not going to waste his time or energy on just anyone.

Mister Bill likes this.
  15. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When have we seen Remmy decide someone wasn't worth his time to save or help? He literally sacrifices his life to try to save people when he was still on Earth. He very much risked his life to save the Razin when he first met them by luring the eaglebear away from them. He literally gave up a piece of his godhood to help his people through the Eaglebear's quest. He has done everything within his power to protect the razim, and the razim are the only sentient beings we have seen that weren't actively trying to kill him or his people. I don't think we have seen anything to indicate that Remmy is anything other than a "good" or benevolent god.

2tymes likes this.
  16. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My statement is based off of the personality that aleron seems to be trying to portray, the zero fucks persona. So far remy has had valid quest related reasons for everything he has done. With the exception of apologizing to the eaglebear. I personally doubt that aleron can truly depict a zero fucks persona but that is what he is aiming for.

17. Belgared

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have read the book and was not impressed. While it was better than book 8 of The Land, that's not a high bar to beat. I don't think I could even give God's Eye a 3, since the plot is so threadbare. Literally just running from point A to point B, that's it. I'm hoping book 9 isn't anything like book 8 cause that would be a huge disappointment in my eyes.

18. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    To be honest when aleron announced he was doing a book to explore other mechanics the divine perspective was not what i was hoping for. I would have preferred to see a literally anything else (never found a god mc book to truly be worth reading, though this one wasn’t as bad as most). An undersea adventure, airship pirates, or an earthling expedition into the labyrinth, those could have been an interesting read.

Belgared likes this.
  19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you read god of gnomes? Its probably the best god litrpg i've seen thus far. It had some flaws, but it felt like the god core gained powers in a way that limited it from taking away the agency of its followers while remaining potent. That's a sharp contrast from most such stories.

The gnomes also weren't unreasonably lucky.

20. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Heretic.. You are playing with fire Drago.
    Handed the Gods Eye.. seems a bit like a tutorial into WTF is LitRPG. Still pretty awesome book. looking for Book 2 even more than Book 9.
    The reason why Aleron did write in this way is to hook up new vanilla readers who don't know anything about new system. It seemed a bit like a tutorial to Civ 4 with infinite map lol

Waterhobit likes this.