Labyrinth World

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Johan, Feb 15, 2020.

1. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "at this point?" is like 1 mo from now maybe.. right now wild life is making everyone its bitch.
    F.E. should the Swaroth not been so lucky to build a bridge over the ravine.. everyone of his followers would be eaten by now by the Cats..

2. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some good some bad. I liked the land better.

One thing that really bothered me is zero fell doesn’t really have much curiosity, ever. It’s convenient and cool to have a hero trait be curiosity, but it was jarring for this guys “zero fucks” persona

this also felt a lot like ritcher part two: same assholey promts, same type of sex, frat, and uncle references/jokes, same personally and leadership styles. I like alreons books but he seems incapable of producing multiple character voices.

But some scenes were very exciting and I’m happy there are lots of mysteries, some subtle and some obvious, while we got other plots nicely resolved.

I like the way gods eye ties into the land. It seems there’s a galactic war between gods being fought on multiple battlefields, and this book gives insight to a different arena than the one on the land.

I like how there were consequences and deaths at the end. One of my largest complaints of fantasy is the winner always wins without casualties. Hardly any main characters ever die, even when overcoming overwhelming odds. So the near extinction and loss of important tribe members shows that hopeless fights do have costs, and victories are paid for.

Lastly, some musing: while it may be easy for zero to initially amass power, I think he will quickly reach a medium level plateau and it will be difficult to gain strength thereafter. In the land, there are allies and items and skill paths to tread; Ritchers power rise is scalable. But when everyone is at primary succession stage there is no way to leapfrog. So it will be interesting how these power gaps will be crossed.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I agree. Which is one reason I think building a strong (as in trustworthy and reliable, personal strength is secondary. Bring out the moronically benevolent god of the pacifist garden gnomes) pantheon will be critical. Not only do they provide a way to amass larger combined armies in addition to trade and technological exchanges, they will also allow the gods themselves to break through the tier system and challenge higher tiered gods. Such as the tier 5 demon god who got beaten by a quartet of tier 3's that would never have stood a chance normally regardless of how much they were willing to sacrifice.

4. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. What?
    2. Gnomes! Boring.. stopped listening 1.5h in.. then Brute forced again 9 mo later or yesterday after ur post about best LitRPG?! bored after 4h again.. will continue.. I have the will of steel Dragon. WILL OF STEEL.
    3. not sure what are you getting at but the relic seemed like a joker card, to level out the playing feel, power is not everything, but the application of it is what matters.. Creative gods I think will be dangerous if they will survive long enough or be lucky enough. If your neighbor is the Ogre God or Spider god.. you have to run with ur gnomes.
    Say you are a God of Gnomes. Your neighbors are unknown.. Gnomes will not be able to build Mithril mechanic Golemns in first ten days.. they barely will be surviving at all..
    So you have to ensure, food, water, survival?! for at least from 3-15 days until the building and research will start or could start. Based on Luck.
    We saw what happened to Gnomes without a Diety. Though Don't think Diety would have helped much.. unless it had sponsors...
    Gnomes could make arbalets.. easy to shoot.. could start leveling up make traps.. maybe.. don't think traveling any distance would be a good idea.. how would you lead your tribe Drago?
    [​IMG]

To illustrate my point you have 200 of these:
    [​IMG]
    Your neighbor has 100 of:
    Click on link, Zoom, zoom again, look into his eyes, look into their eyes, now look at the guy with a totem, he is a mage, now look behind him, that's a dreadnought it can kill cities, now look at the sky, yes they have air support.
    [​IMG]
    Leman Russ by AlexBoca on DeviantArt
    so whats the plan?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You find the nearest hole to hide in and come out once your population is in the tens of thousands with advanced tech? Early conflicts bring some gains, but slow and steady wins the race.

Once the gnomes start working with the dwarves, the humans, the elves, etc. pantheons will form while the evil gods are caught up in being the biggest and baddest warlord in their area of influence.

6. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In a normal world sure.. in this one conflict is a constant. And ambient mana of the labyrinth is flowing in all the time and if you don't grow and consume.. you will be consumed.
    This could work, but what if before you reach said hole in the ground(assuming no one is living there already like some centipedes) you will be attacked, by another tribe, beasts etc..
    Problem and challenge with Tielos world is that it is trying actively to kill you, and also your opponents are doing the same.

F.E. upon your mad rush to the nearest hole in the ground dark dwarfs notice you and start tracking your guys down.. what then? What about food, building materials etc.. someone will have to collect them too.
    Id give you a 2-5% chance to reach the right hole safely. In other cases you will meet say a panther group what then? For this world it seem super unlikelly for a safe travel anywhere.
    Fighting and traveling maybe, just traveling no way magaBro.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First off.
    Gods are bound to a location, they cannot attack directly once their alters have been placed, rendering their personal combat powers useless outside of defense on the prime plane. Their followers are the ones that will fight for them, which means the ones with the biggest armies and the most advanced technology will be the ones with the greatest combat power. Que in the pantheons and the option for several populations to work together.

From what we learned, smart gods whether good or evil are hunkering down and establishing Alters in the best locations they can find. That's partially because they'll be able to summon new followers based off of their faith points every tenth day, up to their cap (10.000 to start), partially due to other advantagers such as being able to resurrect later on. Every follower in turn generates more faith points.

So for the gnome god searching for a hidy hole he has a pretty good chance of making it, about the same as any other god really, maybe slightly larger because he isn't seeking out a clash with other gods, conserving his resources. Once he does he will be able to build up a population faster and faster due to the increase in faith point generation from his loyal followers as they increase in numbers. The currently aggressive wandering gods on the other hand seem intent on fighting each other and wasting faith producing populations fighting over scraps.

Its a world of conflict. That doesn't mean throwing most of your population away for a one-time boost in faith points is a great idea.

Second

War gives a pathetic amount of faith points.

That means that any faith point gains from consumed souls will likely be less than what any of your lost warriors would have generated in a ten-day, in addition to which neither side will be able to catch all the opponents fallen souls unless the gods do nothing apart from rushing around the battlefield picking up souls. Acolytes are special in that they give 500 faith points. For regular people
    (on a sidenote, apparently worshippers can have multiple gods but only one will be awarded faith points)

Which is later increase to 15 points per tenday. Which means that by sitting on his ass doing nothing the gnome god could easily get 5 times the faith points than for the average kill (3 faith points) so far. Every tenth day which is also the time where he'll be able to turn faith points into new followers.

On the other side, completing the quest Save Us 1, gave 7500 faith points in one go. Doing the quests now is the smart move. Might be worth it later on to pick off any straggler gods with overwhelming numbers, but for now turtling is definitely the better strategy.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks for the recommendation, I've been enjoying the book so far.

Dragon likes this.
  9. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    give me your streggt Waterhobit.. +- 5,5h in this is so boring.. I just cant.. continue.. next book

10. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do you have a god core book you recommend?
    Or a dungeon core book for that matter? These are new sub-genres for me right now.

11. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wastes of Keldora was pretty good too. Little bit gods running amok, little bit factorio.

12. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I was just reading book 7 again and found something that doesn't jive at all. Here's the quote "You may lead The Land to its own fate, knowing that no matter what happens, it will not affect the Earth until your grandchildren die of old age. You must know, however, that the actions the Lords were forced to take to protect your world from the Courts have changed it. Things will be... very different now, and your life may not be the same." So how can Earth already be affected in the Labyrinth novel? Unless he's forgotten what he wrote in book 7 since it conflicts. What do you guys think about this?

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Devil's in the detail.

The lords of chaos promise nothing he will do in the future will affect Earth before his grandchildren (Richter has a child on Earth? or just a figure of speech?) die of old age. Which is true from what I can see, as the event affecting earth happened in the past.

14. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suspect that the Chaos Energy been that escaped from Richters Control when he was Absorbing the Chaos Energy from the Chaos Gem and that then went shooting up into the Sky/Space was the beam of Greater Energy that hit the Earth and caused it to become Connected to the Labyrinth.

15. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The bone dungeon series is good. There are some on RoyalRoad, too.

16. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I absolutely agree. Get the altar and temple totally done, get some quests in, and try to conquer the zone they’re in. Plenty there to do while you ramp up your tribe’s abilities and such. Plus zero fell gets some free techs and resources and such so he can use that to catapult to first place. Then stay on top while your tribe branches out and starts to take over the region.

17. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    • But srsly Find the prime Relict and use it.
    • Just make a bunch of simple heavy wood arrows with stone tips and send the Archer to harvest a bunch of creatures.
    • Build traps.. lead creatures in them and harvest souls!
    • Not sure if and how viable, but every new cat dude could be sent on a two day trip to the next continent through portals.. will get 5k exp for exploration. might be worth it.

18. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    not sure will need to ponder on that one.. most books are literally dog shit after AK.
    Atamanov is mostly solid unless he writes not the space opera but something about goblins..
    The last one thats pretty awesom(addictive) is Silver-Fox-Western-Hero-Forsworn https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Fox-W...ver+fox&qid=1608255312&s=digital-text&sr=1-17

19. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have not read "gods eye", is it worth the read?

Mister Bill likes this.
  20. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly, in my opinion I think its not worth it. The page count is inflated because of stat tables and abilities. If it were longer and had more plot development I would say it would be ok.