WIP Lands of Light and Darkness (Book 1 of The Divided Lands Series)

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Thomas Davidsmeier, May 16, 2018.

1. Thomas Davidsmeier

Thomas Davidsmeier Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just starting. Boy do I have ideas. Here's a hybrid Amazon book description/opening scene that morphed by accident as I was writing it.

In the middle of a school shooting, a desperate prayer is miraculously answered. Christopher Allen is suddenly talking to an angel.

"What do you mean that we settle this elsewhere?"

The angel looked over his wings behind him. There was a devil there, talking to the three kids with the guns. "If they agree to accept your challenge, you will all go to the Divided Lands and do battle in the Game."

"Game? What kind of game?" In the back of his mind, Chris admitted to himself, We've got a lot better chance in some game than here against three people with guns.

He looked at the two other kids beside him. They had all gotten up and headed toward the attackers instead of away like everyone else. Olivia was a senior who looked like a freshman. Darren was a freshman who looked like an accountant. He barely knew either of them.

The angel cocked his beautiful face to the side. "Though I don't know what this means, I've been told to tell you that it is a cross between a fantasy RPG and Civilization."

Olivia piped up cheerfully, "Ooo, I've loved all the Civ games. Except Alpha Centauri."

Darren looked over at the older two students, "I'd bet we've got a better chance to win there than here."

"I was thinking the same thing," nodded back Chris.

The angel's wings fluttered. "It has been decided! They have agreed and accepted the challenge. Only those who survive the Game shall return. They shall return to exactly this place and at this exact time. Prepare yourselves."

"Wait," gulped Chris, "What do you mean survive?"

There was a flash of light, and suddenly, there were six less students in the cafeteria. The ones who were left behind were frozen in time, waiting to find out their fate.
    What do you guys think of the concept? I'm super excited. I've got some awesome plans for the game mechanics, the background of the world, who the NPCs are, the development of the characters, the resolution.

I'm one of those guys who likes to know where I'm going when I'm writing. So, I've already got the conclusion of the last book of the series roughed out in my head. It is awesome, absolutely awesome.

Boy, I hope I can learn how to sell books by the time I try to release this one.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Chris Marchant

Chris Marchant Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

85%
    xp:
    Zone:
    EU
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could be interesting. I enjoy most of the civ games, although not too fussed on the remake of Alpha Centauri.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Thomas Davidsmeier

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Now I'm 8K words in. Writing LitRPG is very fun for me. My main challenge will probably be keeping to the plan and not wondering down rabbit holes and the like. Also, I realized that there is a great deal of risk to accidentally do a "Chechov's Gun" here.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Thomas Davidsmeier

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wow, I'm 21K words in and it writes so easily. I'm loving writing it, I just hope the product will meet people's expectations.

Anybody want to read a rough draft and just say if it makes sense or not?

5. Thomas Davidsmeier

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    42K in, but doing a massive restructuring after reading the amazing "The Anatomy of Story" craft book. It has already drastically improved the book and given it a much greater coherence and driving flow. Must keep working...

Herko Kerghans and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Keep it up. You got this.

7. Thomas Davidsmeier

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    About 20K rewritten. I seem to be adding a healthy amount of words as well, probably because I feel more certain about the direction to take things, which detains to add (hint: the ones that support the theme and character changes I know will happen), and I know how much of secondary stories to add (enough to hit the seven essential points of story as laid out by Truby). Kind of weird that a structured approach can be so freeing. It eliminates paralysis by analysis and leaves more room for paralysis by ghoul.

dag0net and Herko Kerghans like this.
  8. Thomas Davidsmeier

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, I've got a 1/2 way remodeled kitchen, a winterized farm, and an almost completely edited 99K word LitRPG novel. I meant to be striking out unimportant stuff and ended up realizing I had some dead time that needed to be resurrected.

9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid: