Last movie you saw? (Theater/Home)

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Readsalot, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Downsizing (2017) 5/10.

Completely mediocre movie suffering from an identity crisis. On paper it had all the ingredients for success: A decent cast, a fairly original script and the option to go in any direction with it. Unfortunately, instead of focusing on one or two things and doing them well this film tries to do everything so you are never sure what you are watching. It is at times a comedy, social commentary, drama, a love story, sci-fi disaster... Sadly, it tries so hard to do so many things that in the end it doesn't do any of them well and just leaves the viewer unsatisfied, wondering what was the point.

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  4. RandomFan

RandomFan Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen Aspiring Writer

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Um, I... think... it was "the Imitation Game", which was decent. Historical fiction, and it didn't wash away Turing's homosexuality, so I don't have major complaints.

Idk if the female character was historically accurate, but as movies go it was pretty good? That was also two years ago, so I can't honestly say too much for/against it.

Readsalot likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

Not bad. I enjoyed.

Jay and Viergacht like this.
  6. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ready Player One (spoiler free)

The movie is an adaptation from the book of the same name. The writer himself Ernest Cline is credited as one of screenplay writers which surprised me. This movie... has nothing to do with the book.

I expected a few changes, that's normal considering the amount of references to pop culture in the book and how licensing works for movie adaptations. Thing is even the plot, characters and end message were changed.

This went from a coming of age story, a boy learning that escaping to "his oasis" is not the solution. You have to fight for what you want. Sacrifice everything for those you care about. There is also a message in there regarding the dangers of corporate takeover of the net, seven full years before the net neutrality issue came up.

What does this one do?

The challenges are changed completely. The characters that he meets along the way and is united with them against a common enemy are his buddies from the beginning. Even the lesson changes to simply... the power of friendship.

[​IMG]

That's it. Oh and gaming is for the young that love to play not corporate thugs, who fund their development and market them in the first place.

To me this is such a childish plot it's barely a six star movie however because of all the nostalgia they throw at you and the epicness of the final battle I'm adding one extra star. I'll admit, it was nice seeing some of my favorite characters from the 80's and 90's on the screen battling it out. The kid in me liked it but the adult that I am was disappointed with the overall emptiness.

Windfall, Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I watched the new "Tomb Raider" today and enjoyed it immensely.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And wasn't this a good thriller....Just watched it last weekend

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah. I called most of it a bit early (intentional?), but well done overall. A bit too bloody for me. Haha.

10. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just came out of Avangers Infinity wars.

God that was a fun movie and I was so sure they would fall flat with a million and one heroes in there. Oddly enough it's the villian that has the most character development.

I think I'm a bit bias because of my theater though. The place was full of kids (and by that I mean 13-15 year olds with cracking voices) that clapped whenever a character showed up on screen, dropped the F bomb whenever something happened to their fav. hero and the rest of the time riffed the movie as if they were on their parent's couch not in theater. Because heaven's forbid they'd shut up and let us watch the actual movie.

the SHHHHHHHHHHHH! thing was heard throughout the theater every few minutes!

Thing was they were so into it that I found it entertaining in the third act. That finale was amazing but seeing kids react to it just blew it out of the waters.... and sent a few empty popcorn and water bottles hurling at the screen! (I'm serious!)

VRRanger, Windfall and Paul Bellow like this.
  11. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dave-Made-A-Maze-set_photo-by-Tiffany-Laufer-600x400.jpg
    Dave Made a Maze

After having seen the trailer for this movie on the forums, it looked interesting enough to put on my "to watch" list. Well, while looking at Hulu's new movies, I found "Dave Made a Maze" in the new movie section. Tonight Kari and I set down and popped it on. Turns out, it was a fun little movie, with such an interesting look to it with the entire maze made of cardboard. it's a cardboard fort if it was designed by the insane homeless child of Daedulus and MC Escher.

We'll probably never watch it again, but, I do put it in the fun campy horror comedy list.

[​IMG]

Paul Bellow and Kidlike101 like this.
  12. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail followed up by Robin Hood Men in Tights. We were educating my friends daughter to be a proper geek/nerd.

13. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I remember watching Holy Grail with my dad when I was way too young to get most of the jokes. For example, I thought the whole Castle Anthrax scene was boring, and I was glad when Sir Lancelot showed up because the action started again XD

14. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would have loved to have you as an uncle growing up. Alas we can't all be so lucky as to have a parent's with proper geek/nerd friends like that blessed girl.

DJ Schinhofen likes this.
  15. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Proper.
    Might want to try an old movie called Knightriders. A retelling of the legend of King Arthur in a traveling renaissance fair that has a jousting show done from the backs of motorcycles. It's surprisingly good and is one of those movies I've seen again and again. Also, it was one of the stories that got me interested and always thinking of ways to change up genres and possibly combine them to make a stronger idea.

In one of my AD&D campaigns, I had the horse riding clans of the plains, descendants of bikers that had been transported to the fantasy world.

DJ Schinhofen and Paul Bellow like this.
  16. LastStarfytr

LastStarfytr Level 6 (Footpad) Beta Reader Citizen

28%
    xp:
    Zone:
    SE United States
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes I was a bit disappointed with the translation of the book to movie but Ernest Cline actually was credited on the screenplay so go figure. I realize they can’t really use the same challenges as the book since they would be a bit underwhelming on screen but changing up the plot and major events from the book in places was just too jarring for me. If I hadn’t read the book, though, I probably would have enjoyed it like my wife and son did (they didn’t read it), but it’s not a movie I’d really care to see again even at home.

17. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Black Panther (2018) 7/10.

Good movie, though not the best in the MCU, imo. Loved the Africa feel and finally getting to see Wakanda. I kept thinking: These are the guys who should be making William Gibson's Neuromancer. Strong female characters always a plus. But the story wasn't very interesting to me. I just couldn't get worked up about Killmonger and his issues. Would have like to see more of Andy Serkis.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    All The Way (2016) 7/10 and Selma (2014) 7/10.

Didn't realise both of these movies would cover more or less the same time and the same events from different perspectives until I watched them. Didn't know much about LBJ until I watched All The Way, in which Cranston does a brilliant job of portraying a deeply flawed character. Oyelowo is excellent in Selma and listening to him speak as MLK is riveting.

Not light popcorn flicks, but probably good for the soul.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Death Wish (2018) 5/10. A completely average and mediocre remake of a 70s classic. It serves no purpose whatsoever except as an advertisement for the NRA.

20. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Friday I'll be going to see Dead Pool 2, just rewatched the 1st one tonight. I hope the 2nd one can capture even half of the fun the first one had.

Paul Bellow likes this.