Let's Talk About Maps...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, May 16, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are they important to you? Just an added bonus?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

2. Jenny Haviland

Jenny Haviland Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Most of the maps i have seen in books come across so small they are useless except for giving you an outline of the continent.

So you can guess from this not important in my opinion.

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I'm going to eventually make mine available on my author website or maybe email them to people who sign-up for my newsletter.

grabiscoisles1242CE.JPG

I'm not a very good designer. Haha.

4. Jenny Haviland

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looks good to me, as long as it tells people the various places thats enough. This colour codes areas with what is there which is good.

5. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks. Here's the rest... 1242ce.JPG
    1242ce-one.JPG 1242ce-two.JPG

1242ce-three.JPG
    1242ce-four.JPG

tm_rain and Jenny Haviland like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's one of the problems I ran into... The map is kinda big, so you either need a super-large version where you can zoom in or to split it up.

Would be cool to have some kind of map-app that made it easier to view them - like Google Earth for fantasy maps? Now THAT would be cool.

Jenny Haviland likes this.
  7. Jenny Haviland

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    yeah that would be cool. Can you just imagine Google reading all the books and making maps from them for the apps :D

8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haha. I remember reading that they've been scanning and digitizing all sorts of books. Would have to be some mad processing power to be able to construct maps from text, though! Maybe another five years? Haha.

This is the software I used to make mine. It would probably take a company like them to build the feature into their map editor.

https://secure.profantasy.com/products/cc3-plus.asp

I found designing the map really helped me when writing the story, and I've been curious about whether the same holds true for readers.

9. Jenny Haviland

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally I believe it is more helpful for authors then readers. For me at least if you tell me Town A is 2 days travel or 20 miles or whatever from town B thats all I need to know. I never build a map in my mind. I am more caught up in the characters and the world building then in the map. THat may just be me and others do build a map but I just never have.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. gtvManager

gtvManager Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This totally reminds me of my time playing Age of Empires! I like the 3D imagery.

For me as a reader, I do like maps because in the beginning, all the names of places thrown around can lose their meaning if I don't know generally where they are. This was definitely an issue with The Wheel of Time, but thankfully the maps sorted that out for me. (So, you mean they traveled how far on foot?)

I'm also a fan of the maps that look like they are worn out and have actually been on a few adventures!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. gtvManager

gtvManager Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed, if the author includes the relevant info in the narrative. When they don't, I check out the map. If I were a player in a game, I would say, "Oh, so that's two days journey on horseback? Fast-travel!" ;)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don't get me started on Age of Empires lol I have a copy of AoE II Gold on my Steam account. ;)

Yeah, I've seen some really amazing ones. Anyone have examples of their favorite fantasy / LitRPG map?

13. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I used to draw maps when i was a wee tot. I womder if I have any stashed somewhere. ...

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maps to gold buried in the backyard? lol

15. Jason

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No. Maps to where I keep the bodies. I don't want the cops tearing up my landscaping digging up everywhere if they come looking. They jist tell me who tjey are looking for and I can point right to the spot.

16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You were offing the competition even as a young child?

*Takes two steps back.*

17. Jason

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One doesn't simply become the Lord of Darkness overnight. Its a progressive transformation.

18. lordnova

lordnova Level 10 (Filcher) Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Mountain States
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like maps. They can add to a story. They can help make the world feel more real.

I've seen them done well, and I've seen them done wrong. Though these are just my preferences so your mileage may vary...

For fantasy stories (where maps are most common) I prefer maps that have a hand-drawn look to them. Makes it feel like it might be an actual map a character in the story has.

They should be to the scale of the story.
    If your story takes place in a huge city, have the map be of that city. A map of that nation isn't going to do any good.
    Then again, if your story has an epic quest across the face of the known world, the map should show all the places the heroes go.

Don't be overly detailed. It can be distracting.
    In a city map, you don't need to (and probably can't anyways) include every possible street. Just do the major ones, and note different districts and areas, some landmarks or other features.
    For a country or world map, we know a country will have many cities, many many towns, and countless villages and thorps. And it will have just as many roads, be they wagon trails, footpaths, or major stone paved roads. You don't need to try to include all of those. You should include some major roads and cities, to give it some depth, and then include anywhere your heroes go, but that's it.

The reader should never have to consult the map. The book should be written as if the reader never sees the map. Don't rely on it to give your reader distances or scale. Include those in the actual writing.

Some of the best fantasy novel maps I've seen are: Lord of the Rings (of course), Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time.

The Discworld map by Terry Pratchett is funny, but really shows you the theme of his unique world.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pictures of the maps of a game seem to be a natural thing fantasy authors do when they have a fully developed world and its fun to look at but can kind of change the outlook of a fan when the fan has read before looking and has imagined a different look for the world. But the map in the reading can give information more value when the character sees a map of a new unexplored territory and it's really expensive. Gives the explorer character value. I like the way D.Rus did his in Alterworld or was it Way of the Shaman? I get my litrpg mixed up sometimes.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some maps from Xanth...

Useful buy ugly...(?)

tlaGjMcX94DyhRpq3rz2ImxV4LAmI4gPzhlB2MxTOXs.jpg

Better?

xanth-florida.jpg

Post a pic of your favorite fantasy map if you have one!

Scargro likes this.