Let's Talk About: The Dark Age of Comic Books

Discussion in 'Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Yuli Ban, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This particular period fascinates me. For those out of the loop, this is the age of comics preceding the current one we're in, and it's that era where it seemed every major comic protagonist was either a grizzled gun-toting edgelord with an edgy name or an impossibly sexy vixen obsessed with putting T&A in every single panel while splattering your brains across the wall. It's also when they killed Superman.

My personal two favorite 'Dark Age' comics are the Watchmen books (all 12 of the original issues, at least) and The Killing Joke in the Batman series. But then again, they came at the very start of the Dark Age, before it actually got "dark" and was merely dark due to the nature of the content rather than trying to be harder and grittier.

If you don't have loved ones and have good life insurance and wish to die before achieving anything in your life, here's a rundown from TV Tropes: The Dark Age of Comic Books / Useful Notes - TV Tropes

Herko Kerghans likes this.
  2. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, the Maxx - that was a fantastic comic. I rewatched the animated series recently and it's held up pretty well, although I don't think people would like some of the "un-woke" themes in it.

Herko Kerghans likes this.
  3. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  4. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In looking at that trope page, I eventually browsed to this one: Deader Than Dead - TV Tropes

5. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The edge