Let's Talk Cliffhangers...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, May 15, 2017.

?

What About Cliffhangers?

1. Love 'em!

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Hate 'em!

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Meh.

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Stop stealing my gold, you scoundrels!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Love 'em? Hate 'em? And "why" on both accounts.

Ready, steady, go!

Seriously, though, as a writer, I like using them at the end of chapters to keep readers moving through the book. Time is so valuable these days, so when I have a reader's attention, I like to try to keep it.

Cliffhangers at the end of books, however, are another matter. What's that saying about always leave them wanting more? The problem, I think, comes when there's too much time between releases.

Of course, many readers think even one day is TOO LONG if they're waiting on an author they love. I tend to stay away from huge cliffies at the end of my books, but I'd love to hear thoughts from others.

2. Jenny Haviland

Jenny Haviland Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hate authors who leave books on cliffhangers, can maybe forgive it happening once in a series but not doing it constantly.

Even if a book is part of a series I like to feel a sense of completion when i finish a book and cliffhangers take away that sense of completion.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, after the climax you need (imho) a comedown period and sense of completion at the very end with maybe a hint of what's to come in the next book.

4. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hate cliffhangers... bit it's a love-hate thing. I love them if the next book in the series is out... I hate them if they are GRRM and take 12 years to finish a book but decide to have a TV series made and let the show writers finish it for him.... if only the rat Bastard had a neck I could wrap my hands around...........

Sorry.. went off on a pig trail there..

5. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love em'! I get super excited for new books after a cliffhanger. Books continuing without them are like starting a new story with an old character. I like to already know what is going on in the characters life if it is a series. Also, I like seeing authors styles in catching someone up in a series. It takes skill to not ruin a previous book with an info dump.

Jason likes this.
  6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol

7. gtvManager

gtvManager Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love them at the end of chapters! Leaving a character at the beginning of a fight, or in a sticky situation is perfect fuel for me when I pick up the book again since I'm more apt to remember the cliffhanger than when I leave off in the middle of a random part of a story. At the end of a book, however, is questionable... Depends on how soon another book will be out, and if there was a solid conclusion to the current book's story.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. RJ Castiglione

RJ Castiglione Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

2%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    While I understand the use of cliffhangers, I don't think I will ever use them myself. I also understand the use of end-of-the-story prologue exposition, but will never do it.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Crowbaits

Crowbaits Level 9 (Burgler) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    England - not New - the old one across the pond
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In general, I like the use of the occasional cliff-hanger at chapter ends but overuse gets old very quickly. I loathe cliff-hangers at the end of books, especially if there is an extended period before the publishing of the next volume. I think cliff hangers should be resolved within the volumes final climax but to leave certain threads wafting in the breeze unfinished, act as very good hooks into the next volume.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love them! it makes remembering the book much easier, especially when you read a lot and stories get mixed up.

Cliffhangers are memorable, therefore mark you, especially when well made!

Paul Bellow likes this.