Levels?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Tom Harem, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Tom Harem

Tom Harem Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi everyone.

I have an idea for a new story but I've been having a problem. I don't know if it's litrpg or gamelit.

There are classes, special attacks, all of that, and it happens in a game. However, there are no levels.
    The more people train the more they get better and unlock new attacks and other stuff. They also win items and money every time they win a match. The story revolves around a tournament.

Is this litrpg, gamelit or nothing at all?

Thank you for the help.

2. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tech that's more gamelit but if you want to classify it under Litrpg it'll still be acceptable as it contains RPG elements.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  3. Tom Harem

Tom Harem Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe something like soft litrpg?

4. RauthrMystic

RauthrMystic Elf Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm cross posting this from: "Whats a Good Definition of LitRPG" [huge thread]
    But this is how I think of LitRPG as a reader. There are fantasy LitRPG, and scifi LitRPG. Being someone who craves magic I suppose it makes sense that I read almost exclusively the former. The connection, the LitRPG aspect, is that there are clear gaming mechanics involved. Even if the world isn't a gaming or virtual world, there is a structure that exists in all RPGs. We, the reader, will see clear character progression (call it levels if you must), a way to quantify skills and abilities, and inclusive world building that fits clear 'rules'. The biggest thing to remember here is this: RPG. If your story can't translate into a game (regardless of the fantasy or scifi) then it's likely not going to fit into LitRPG.
    Someone mentioned 'sufficient magic' earlier. I found it on amazon through a LitRPG search. However thinking back on it, I don't recall it having any 'stats' windows, or skill level ups. I suppose the argument is that it does not qualify as a LitRPG piece of literature. I would say however that it could be easily turned into an RPG. There are always going to be outliers in any field of writing just like there are examples that exemplify the genre.
    SO with that said: your novel seems similar to tower novels. there is a specific goal to overcome each 'level'. I don't see why your novel wouldn't be LitRPG. I suppose it would depend on how you write it in the end.

Tom Harem and Yuli Ban like this.
  5. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like litRPG to me. If stats matter and the narrative can't function without them, it's litRPG.

RauthrMystic likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are plenty of RPGs that don’t use traditional levels. Think Elder Scrolls, for example.

Windfall, Tom Harem and RauthrMystic like this.
  7. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

I'd say it's both really. GameLit and LitRPG are closely related. So I'd say you could label it both if you so choose. I don't think anyone would raise an eyebrow at it being LitRPG even if there are no levels.

8. Brian Foster

Brian Foster Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Terry Ervin, an author who I ran into back on the Mythic Scribe forum years ago, recently came out with a LitRPG. There were a lot of negative reviews, and one of the big reader complaints was that there was no leveling up.

I don't know about official definitions or anything, but it certainly seems like the vast majority of books out there contain it. To me, it seems like a pretty major expectation of the genre.

If you're going to call a book LitRPG and not emphasize leveling up, I think you better be writing an extraordinary story.

RauthrMystic likes this.