LitRPG and Character Stats

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Simon Fiasco, Jul 17, 2018.

?

How much does LitRPG depend on character stats?

1. The reader should have access to an updated character sheet every time the character gains a level.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. There should be a complete and updated character sheet when the character hits a major milestone.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. The author should inform the reader when a character's skill or stat changes.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. There should be both starting and ending character sheets in an appendix at the back of the book.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. The author should inform the reader of stat or skill changes when it affects the story.

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. Stats aren't really necessary.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So... I'm relatively new to LitRPG, and have spent the last couple weeks reading through a few of the books available on Kindle Unlimited. So far, it's been The Land: Founding, Ascend Online, and Steam Whistle Alley, with Ritualist, Regicide, Hack, Hate, and Hero queued up to follow.

In my reading of Steam Whistle Alley, I've found the lack of dependency on character stats to be refreshing. I know from everything I've read here (and from The Land and Ascend Online) that stats seem to be an important aspect of LitRPG in general. But is there a place in the genre for a book that doesn't dig into the character's stats regularly? Not that the stats wouldn't show up at all, and certainly not that there wouldn't be character progression, mind you.

I guess I'm just wondering how dependent the readers are upon seeing regular stat updates in order to make it feel like a game.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wanted to choose more than one answer on your poll. Heh.

It comes down to your style and your readers. There's no one set way.

We have a thread around here somewhere talking about this topic...

3. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I edited the poll so it can accept multiple answers, Paul.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In Incipere, Stats exist but aren't readily accessible. Characters can view their standings, their ranks, their skills, their traits, and know that they exist because different classes are supported by an area. However, Stats don't rise with ranks but with practice. I don't believe stats are important in my story because of this. Ranks dictate skill with a class, so rank is much more important than how strong or fast someone can be.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. DarthNerdus

DarthNerdus Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder -- does anyone have a read on how books that take one path or another actually perform in terms of sales, reception, etc.?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought about doing a database of styles/books/best ranks, but I don't have the time to put it together. Would def be interesting data.

I really think (personally) story and characters trump stats no matter how you do them - as long as they're not done horribly?

Heh. Then again, what is "horrible" when it comes to stats? It's a fine line to walk.

[​IMG]

7. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree with this.

But personally, I'd like something outside the book where you can see the characters' stat/gear. You know, like a bonus page in manga. For example, I'd really like to be able to go to the author's website and look up "Character A's stats/gear/skills at the beginning of Book 2", which I think would be really cool.

Edited to add: I don't want to see stats at the end of every chapter or even periodically, since I feel like it breaks the flow of the story. I kinda want to be able to see stats when I choose to, though -- but that might be too much to ask.

8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Ooh. This is a very interesting idea...

Windfall likes this.
  9. Simon Fiasco

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is where I think the story I’m working on is going to fall.

Just about have Chapter One finished…

Windfall and Paul Bellow like this.