LitRPG at WorldCon2019

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Conor Kostick, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Conor Kostick

Conor Kostick Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

94%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Dublin, Ireland
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Day one is ended at WorldCon 2019. I had to go, seeing as it was in Dublin (which is where I live) and also, Level Up has its first three books published this week, which is perfect timing!

I was told not to expect much awareness of LitRPG/GameLit at WorldCon but it's going great. There was a panel this morning that was packed and okay there were questions that indicated no knowledge of the genre but there were also some very well read people present, including the moderator Likhain. A really interesting point was made by Elliot Kay about the appeal of LitRPG, which I hadn't thought about before, which is that it allows a fantasy/scifi/whatever story to take place with an MC who is modern and that can be leveraged for a lot of fun (I suppose he was thinking of The Land in particular, but let's not get into that). Like A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur. Joseph Malik, had a top 100 Kindle hit with a fantasy book that he was told would never work because he drilled down into great detail about the technicalities of medieval combat, blacksmithing, castle-building etc. His interest in LitRPG is as a reader at present (although he might write something for the genre) and its appeal to him is exactly that game detail, which matches his own approach.

Likhain put a lot of smart questions to us (e.g. what are the common tropes? What makes for the most engaging MCs?) and made thoughtful observations of her own.

[​IMG]
    Swapping books with Joseph Malik

[​IMG]
    A suitably dystopic view of Dublin from high up in Worldcon!

[​IMG]
    At the Level Up stand.

[​IMG]
    The LitRPG/GameLit panel at Worldcon2019

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. HunterLegacyUniverse

HunterLegacyUniverse Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My long term aim is to be able to do events like this, having a stand there, and strutting around in my team uniform. :)

Alas, still a way to go on my health side of things.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hope you're feeling better.

5. HunterLegacyUniverse

HunterLegacyUniverse Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks. Been a bad 6 weeks for me so far. And things haven't settled down yet. The current WIP is way behind as a result.

6. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The group looks good! Keep it up.