LitRPG books with a lot of charecter creation/ability choice scenes

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by EdLincoln, Dec 19, 2018.

1. EdLincoln

EdLincoln Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This sounds odd, but I don't generally *LIKE* LitRPG. I have trouble caring about the action sequences.

No, I'm not a Troll (either in the internet or RPG sense).

One thing I like that I have seen in a couple LitRPG books is scenes where charecters have to decide how to allocate points/mana/energy to develop abilities/attributes/spells. I find this fascinating...the concept of going through that whole "character creation" part of D&D in a situation where your life depend on it.

Can anyone suggest any LitRPG books where the characters has to put a lot of thought into ability/attribute optimization?

Paul Bellow and Maaike Madsen like this.
  2. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Super Sales on Super Heroes.

The entire series is about a guy that has the power to edit people and objects like they have character sheets.

Paul Bellow and Maaike Madsen like this.
  3. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Divine Dungeon as the character Cal. He spends most of his time figuring out how to build, allocate, and optimize his resources and use them on others to the most effect.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. EdLincoln

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just read this one! Liked it...although it was also an example about how I have trouble caring about the fight scenes in this genre.

The book that inspires this question was "Asgard Awakens". I liked the charecter's thoughts on building, but the way he accumulated women seemed cheesy. (That seems kind of common in the genre for some reason...)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I find the harem thing bothersome.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Only really seen it done right, but it didn't last long. Harems are an interesting animal because most of the time they don't make sense. Love to discuss it further, but I don't want to hijack another thread. I do that too much.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. EdLincoln

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is there a "Harem Rant" thread elsewhere?

They are the sort of thing I loved when I was going through puberty. I have no fundamental problem with the idea...but I notice a lot of the time (particularly in this genre) they are a bit too obvious wish fulfillment...People for whom it would be out of character suddenly develop devoted harems when they develop superpowers. In a couple books EVERY ally the hero meets is a women who is attracted to him. Sort of a weird inverse of the Bechtel Test. It' sci fi, the author could come up with a society or situation where it makes sense...but they usually don't bother.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Paul Bellow likes this.