LitRPG categories and keywords

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Tom Gallier, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    While studying the top LitRPG books' sales blurbs, I noticed something else. Those books were all in different categories than mine.
    Which a lot of books are in "Cyberpunk" and "Fantasy" the books at the very top mostly seemed to be in "Science Fiction & Fantasy Gaming" and "Role Playing & Fantasy" etc...

I don't know if I'm picking the wrong categories or key words.

The top books were:

Look for similar items by category
    Or

2. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wondered, does the author set up the categories? How does that work? I have seen the same type of thing.

3. Tom Gallier

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, for the readers: When a book is uploaded on Amazon we have to chose two categories. Then we enter 7 "key words" in boxes (but they can be phases too). The Key Words are Search words/phases we think readers might use to find books like ours. During the publishing process, Amazon puts our book in the "appropriate" categories based off the combination of categories chose and key words listed.

VRRanger likes this.
  4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I never get how Amazon sticks litRPG books in the TV & Movie Adaptation category.

5. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    hehe anything to get that best seller flag. But until an actual LitRPG category appears, I don't see why people shouldn't run amok. Somethings gotta get amazons attention.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  6. Tom Gallier

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really wish Amazon would come up with a LitRPG category. Right now they are all over the place. I've seen them in post-apoc, fantasy, SF, roleplaying and gaming, steampunk, cyberpunk, etc..

7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, you'd think it'd have gained enough traction in their library by now.

8. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Huh, I had thought Ramon talked about how LitRPG was an official genre on Amazon... I must have misheard ~_~ now I have to edit my intro again. The tag system I guess must work for it at least as I get a ton of results with that. Any other English distributors have an official LitRPG subcategory, or is it still Russia only then?

Or are the tags preset and need Amazon approval to "work" or something? Maybe that's what Ramon talked about in one of those super early podcasts, that or he could of just meant he was enthusiastic for the existence of the LitRPG community...

Curse my normal non autistic brain.

9. Tim Kaiver

Tim Kaiver Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Fantasy Author Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m researching keywords and categories as well. So far I have,

1. realrpg
    2. litrpg science fiction
    3. litrpg sci-fi space
    4. litrpg real world
    mixed bag thoughts: litrpg telepaths, litrpg genetic engineering, litrpg transhuman, litrpg cyberpunk, litrpg space opera

for categories: cyberpunk science fiction; fantasy, movie tv

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've been told you don't want to duplicate terms across boxes and you basically don't want to use only one word or phrase...

However, the exception to that rule is when you are trying to keyword into a category. In the example below, I have TV VIDEO GAME MOVIE ADAPTATION as its own keyword. That with choosing FANTASY->GENERAL gets me into the adaptations category. Mostly, though, you want as many RELEVANT keywords as you can fit in...

For you, I would probably go SCIFI->CYBERPUNK and SCIFI-> GENERAL and keyword into the tv/movie adaptations where a lot of LitRPG lives...

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

keys.JPG

Tim Kaiver likes this.
  11. Tim Kaiver

Tim Kaiver Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Fantasy Author Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you so much for that explanation and actually showing me what keywords look like.

so keywords for me could be:
    1. LITRPG lit rpg RealRPG portal fantasy sci-fi
    2. Bounty hunters in space jungle escape wormhole travel
    3. Space opera men’s adventure galactic empire genocide
    4. Prophecy scavenger hunt mystery treasure hunt ancient civilization escape from prison
    5. Movie adaptation role playing game real life game system portal fantasy

how am I doing so far?

12. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah. I've heard some speculate that having a well-searched for phrase by its own in a slot/box helps, but in my experience, just getting as many is as you can helps.

Oh, for the TV/MOVIE adaptation, that has to be in it's own box/slot and you have to have SCIFI->GENERAL or FANTASY->GENERAL as one of your two categories in my experience.

Don't forget gamelit and rpglit