LitRPG MMO Guild

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Masoric, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Masoric

Masoric Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I posted the below message on the LitRPG Facebook group.

There was an incredible amount of feedback on the thread and a lot of people in the same boat. To that point I wonder if there might be an opportunity here to create an LitRPG MMO game guild where the intent of the guild is not to rush to the end game, have mandatory raiding, Min/Max, or even have the need to invest a lot of time. Many of us have family, jobs, real life, and maybe even a powerful need to drink beer and watch football on Sunday.

Instead the intent would be to group, socialize, do some dungeon crawls, help each other with quests or camping, maybe RP a bit, make some friends, and generally play the games the way we want rather than how they just happen to be played these days. Everyone should be welcome regardless of level or time invested.

If there is enough interest I will throw up a webpage and we can start discussing which games to play. Possibly even do something like the MMO book club and rotate games. If there is already something like this out there my apologies please direct me that way.

Any who, sound off if there is any interest sound off.

Masoric

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I threw up a LitRPG MUD the other week. Took it down, though.

We talked about this with some of the new MMOs coming out.

Welcome aboard, by the way. ::PAL::

3. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Afternoon Paul,

It has been a long time since I have played a MUD. Why did you take it down?

When I was thinking about what pulled me into my first MMORPG's I realized the game itself was only about 50% of the draw. The other half was my guild. I have yet to find anything like them in the last 10 -15 years. So I figured if I can not find another similar group I could at least try and make one :). I think there are a number of games out there today that could be used as good foundations for a long term gaming guild. Sadly I wish Star Wars Galaxies was still around as I feel that could have been a great opportunity. But beyond that the everquest expansion server is about to release Velious (which I think was the best xpac). Wow is going to be rocking some vanilla servers soon. ESO might be a good option And then as you mentioned there are a number of new games coming out that are a bit more....I guess old school and social based would be the word. Games such as Pantheon Rise of the fallen.

Either way I thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone else was in the same frame of mine. Looking forward to talking with everyone.

Masoric

4. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am interested ^>^

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lack of interest and time to mess with it personally. Might restart it someday. MUDs are so oldschool, though.

6. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sweet... Did you have a particular game you would prefer?

7. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not really. All I ever play these days is Hearthstone. Excuse me while I shuffle aimlessly around the forum in a bathrobe.

TravisBach and Seagrim like this.
  8. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can not knock the robe... It is good for all occasions from casting spells to dinner parties..

9. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd be interested. Might be able to talk my wife into it too. We currently do play ESO, but, haven't been quite as active recently...Have played Everquest many moons ago, never played WoW and missed Star Wars Galaxies, so I feel cheated about that.

I'll also just mention City of Heroes, look really sad, and then stick some more pins into a voodoo doll that just has NC Soft for a face. May the fleas of a thousand camels inhabit all their nether regions.

Also, pants are a tool of the enemy.

TravisBach and Felicity Weiss like this.
  10. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I did love some COH.

Well we will see who else is interested in this before we make a call. EQ is probably the most social and group content oriented of the options. But is also the oldest and does not have a lot of the "nice features" of modern MMOs.

On a side note there is a emulation server for SWG now although I am not sure of its current state.

11. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love this quote, but i prefer may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

12. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Now if only we could make that a guild tag.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  13. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    <Camel Fleas>

14. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like it... Remembered I have Explorers-league.com registered and free domain came with the hosting package. So CamelFleas.com too.

Either way should have a guild page up within the next day or so.

Need to figure out a game.

1) Everquest Free to play or Agnarr
    2) StarWars The old republic.
    3) Elder Scrolls Online
    4) Wow

Frankly I lean in the direction of EQ just simply because of the mechanics but... it is an acquired taste.

15. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’d say either SWTOR because it’s actively supported and completely free vs EQ which can be fiddly to get running - not to mention the questionable private server issue.

And also WoW because it’s got an active base and is easier to find things to do as a social group than ESO which, when I played it seemed more like a multiplayer version of an elder scrolls game than an actual MMO.

So my vote (keeping in mind that I can play neither currently) would be for WoW or SWTOR.

16. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok So its very very rough but its a start. http://Explorers-League.com/forum is up and running (barely). I have a poll up for game options.

CamelFleas.com will redirect there soon as well :p

Seagrim and Felicity Weiss like this.
  17. SoapyWeasel

SoapyWeasel Level 8 (Thug) Beta Reader Citizen

2%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    eso is one i still play on and off

swg emu was working well a while ago, i had a ranger/creature handler i was working on but stopped playing as creature handler was broken at the time.
    But having just had a look at the forums it may be time to give it another go!

18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's it.

ENACT THE BANISHMENT!

lol just kidding.

Good start. Good luck with your forum!

Feel free to link it in your signature file here.

19. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tha
    Lol thank you Paul. I did not think you would want us using your forums to organize a guild.

20. Masoric

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Need to find a good place to get the installer. No idea where my original disks are any more.