LitRPG tags: feedback thread #2 - MC's class/role, story elements, genre, theme and tone

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Windfall, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was just thinking of it. I could do something like

Code:
    http://browse.litrpgreads.com
    or something. I would have to get another SSL cert likely, though.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Jay and Windfall like this.
  2. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I kinda have no idea what that means :p

But if possible I'd really like it to be a rather frills-free tool that is just a filterable database for stories and reviews (so maybe no promotion posts, no sponsored ads, maybe Amazon auto-links are okay -- no idea what those are called, but like the ones at the bottom of the forum pages -- but we don't do official recommendations, in order to remain very neutral) And if possible I hope we can be very transparent about how things are run as well. What do you think?

I don't know how Drupal works, but I was thinking that it's just a database for LitRPGs and LitRPG-like stories. Submissions are checked by a human. Or maybe you can add them manually like how you post updates?

Just a few ideas: to give it some momentum, before launch we'll need a 'review panel' recruited from trustworthy people on here, with the initial aim to have a total of 100 reviews/star ratings, so the website starts with something. The users are completely anonymous, unless they don't choose to be, but with individual user names so people can track and 'follow' individual reviewers?

Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry, it didn't spell out the domain. Technology sometimes! Heh.

I edited the post to show what I meant by using a sub-domain.

I'll have to look into Drupal. I haven't looked at it in a while, but it was perfect for what we want to do - with tags, users, individual posts, etc.

Windfall likes this.
  4. SideKarakterGendut

SideKarakterGendut Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

86%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Indonesia
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    drupal still a thing?!
    I thought it already fades away like joomla, haven't look at both for years

5. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Both Drupal and Joomla! are alive and well and still in development.

6. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it would be very cool to have on the LitRPG Reads website. I don't think any other LitRPG site offers that option so it would definitely be something to promote it as well.

7. SideKarakterGendut

SideKarakterGendut Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

86%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Indonesia
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welp, they seemed to lost their popularity since nodejs stole quite a bit developers from PHP community. Even Laravel promoted javascript framework Vue and WordPress begins to adopt Facebook's React now. I still remember how people hyped drupal as the next thing that would overtop WordPress but WP still a giant as always.

8. Windfall

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Paul Bellow

I'm back! But do give me a bit of time for the tag things. I'll come with a 'full proposal' for the website :)

But are we just implementing tags right now or are we implementing reviews as well? I know LitRPG Reads has a reviews system, so are you going to combine those?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    To be honest, I'm not sure yet. I'd love to write some machine learning code to suck up new litrpg books and auto-tag them. Heh. That's gonna be the hard work - tagging the content as it goes into the database. Reviews shouldn't be too difficult to tack on the litrpg search engine listings.

No rush! About to get back into writing groove here. ;)

Good to have you back, btw. ::PAL::

Windfall likes this.
  10. Windfall

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you! Glad to be back!

Machine-learning is going to be really difficult, IMHO. (It will be interesting to see what it does, though!) Give me a few days while I finish off some stuff and move onto my next project!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, that's my pie-in-the-sky dream. It's likely a few years away at least. Some people have been doing similar stuff - aka the Book Genome Project.

Anyway, definitely keep in touch. :)

Windfall likes this.