POLL Lucky bastard

Discussion in 'Disagreements' started by Johan, May 3, 2020.

?

Luck effect

1. Effect relative to overall personal level

2. Effect just based on total luck stat level

3. Luck relative to those around you

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bad luck, put more stats into it!

How does anyone survive if they have such low luck starting out?

2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Luck relative to those around you?

3. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it also relates to your aura. As most people have common auras I don't think many things happen, but the stronger and more likely events that happen near you, there more important luck plays in determining the outcome. Like a boring guy living a normal life with a crazy luck stat may happen to fine gold in his backyard, but he wont suddenly find teflon jewelry or a magic core, nor will he have much chance of saving a princess from a runaway carriage. While someone with little luck but a high aura may come into situations where magic cores or princesses are common place.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Because it is not really good or bad luck, its just luck?. The bending of fate that brings both danger and fortune, but does very little to change the way the coin flips. Which plays really well with Richter's chaotic aura.

At least that's my current impression from book 8.

5. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is actually a lot of connection to one or more aspects of the various auras a person has. I still haven't figured out Aura yet.

6. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would say it's the opposite. Luck stat would effect the likelihood of a positive outcome with each die roll or coin flip. Most people have very few high value coin flip moments. Richter's chaotic aura creates these high value coin flip moments very regularly, and his luck stat help those coin flips turn out favorably.

To address the original question. I think it is the luck stat alone (non-relative) that matters. But I think the luck stat only has positive effects. In order to have bad luck, one would have to have a negative luck stat, and this should only be possible with modifiers. Someone with a luck stat of 5 would have slightly better than 50/50 odds on a coin flip.

Johan likes this.
  7. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    agree all the way till the end there, I think 10 is the base luck for 50/50 odds, since it seems to be the starting point for almost everything we've seen

Johan likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thing is, he isn't finding random stuff lying around, he has encounters of various sorts, usually dangerous ones. Hence, danger and fortune. That giant that randomly fixated on him was probably due to luck as well, sure it was freakishly dangerous but the fortune that followed it was equally great.

I'm not saying it doesn't have an effect on games of chance, or daily events, but the main effect is in combination with his aura.

Chaotic Gradient – An aura that is unique to creatures of Chaos. Simply by existing, they can affect events around them, twisting the strands of fate. This aura can be a curse or a blessing, depending on the Luck and power of the owner. The only thing that can be definitively stated about this aura is that it will trigger powerful events in the life of the one who possesses it.

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Monsters: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 8) . Tamori Publications, LLC. Kindle Edition.

The more luck Richter gets, the more unlikely events and encounters will happen to him. If his luck outpaces his power - my take - he is fucked, but if he can stay ahead of the curve its a blessing.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  9. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My bad. Didn't realize 10 was the base. I'll go along with your correction.

I think you are misinterpreting this quote.

1. His Chaotic Aura makes unlikely events and encounters more likely to happen to him. "Simply by existing, they can affect events around them, twisting the strands of fate."
    2. His high luck stat makes these encounters exceedingly beneficial. "This aura can be a curse or a blessing, depending on the Luck and power of the owner."

Clearly luck is an influence upon the outcome of an event rather than existence of the event.

Andrew Lynas, Cire122 and Johan like this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's simply not what is happening. I doubt there is even one instance of Richter stumbling across treasure without going through serious danger first.

Reread carefully, i was not saying it had no effect on the outcome of events, but that the main effect was in combination with the chaotic aura.

11. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that the Chaotic Aura amplifies the Luck Stat (both in reach, strength and complexity) while the Luck Stat helps to direct the Chaotic Aura into causing changes to somethings that would be beneficial to Richter and less likely to be detrimental, although not necessary not potentially harmful towards him but with better odds of success against that harm.

12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    don't forget to include the aura caused by his reputation, that might also have an effect on that combination.

Andrew Lynas and Dragon like this.
  13. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I ment to add that but then I forgot.

14. Johan