Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Felicity Weiss, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    957f2410aa0847f94b9d9180c151192c.jpg mahouka-koukou-no-rettousei-episode-18-15.jpg
    Synopsis
    In the dawn of the 21st century, magic, long thought to be folklore and fairy tales, has become a systematized technology and is taught as a technical skill. In First High School, the institution for magicians, students are segregated into two groups based on their entrance exam scores: "Blooms," those who receive high scores, are assigned to the First Course, while "Weeds" are reserve students assigned to the Second Course.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei follows the siblings, Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba, who are enrolled in First High School. Upon taking the exam, the prodigious Miyuki is placed in the First Course, while Tatsuya is relegated to the Second Course. Though his practical test scores and status as a "Weed" show him to be magically inept, he possesses extraordinary technical knowledge, physical combat capabilities, and unique magic techniques—making Tatsuya the irregular at a magical high school.
    --------------------------------------

Here is an anime where the protag is hiding his full potential. Enjoying it immensely! I love the mix of tech and magic SO MUCH.
    @James G Patton I think this is right up your alley as mentioned in the 'Hopelessly Drawn To' thread =)

2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I will have to look at it.

Matthew James and Felicity Weiss like this.
  3. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think I watched a tv version of this. I think it was just called the Irregular at Magical High School, or maybe that is the translated name.

But yes, I like the blending, and the character growth this proposes. I'll have to check them out.

4. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anime under the name of Irregular at Magic High School, 26 episodes. It can be watched on Netflix, Hulu and Crunchyroll. There's a movie coming out this summer.

Sadly, there are some things in the anime that aren't very well explained, and I've seen reviews complaining it isn't a good adaption of the light novels. Then again, moving anything from print to visual is going to have some issues if the writers don't take into account the change from one medium to the other. I liked the series.

5. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The mangas had a split perspective for the brother and sister (I think they were brother and sister)... not sure why I never stuck with it. The "Interesting Magic-Sci-Fi High School!" genre might have been so done to death at the time I just forgot about it until seeing the pics.

6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hear ya. Thus far, I am enjoying the visuals in the anime. I have made it to ep4 and the psionics in use with CADs are pretty cool. I tried to pick some images that reflected the cool factor.

Seagrim and Matthew James like this.
  7. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paul Bellow likes this.