Making LitRPG Lands the Game?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, May 31, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  2. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd be interested. No idea what it entails, but that's never stopped me before... :)

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, just brainstorming here while procrastinating from writing...

A strategy game? I'd like to have a board and pieces. Cards maybe.

Goal is to level-up and escape the game? Kinda like Talisman maybe?

Tie it to the forum somehow? Hmm....

Alexis Keane likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  5. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paul, wish we lived closer. Writing and game design are two of my favorite things to do with my down time. I think this might take away from my writing though so I'm going to have to pass for now.

6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, it's at more of a dream stage for me right now. At one time I looked into how much it might cost to release a MMORPG of Tower of Gates. Lots of damage! Heh. Something to keep in the back of our minds, though, unless anyone else picks up the ball and runs with it.

7. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey, random question. If I blog, does that count towards my word count for the day?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Only half the gold? ;)

I mean, it depends on your goals. Blogging can help build an audience, but the book on sale will do it even more.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  9. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why not have the players be the dungeon? Kind of like Castle Panic, so its a team effort to keep 'players' from getting to the heart of the dungeon. So if Castle Panic and Boss Monster had a baby...

10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Taking a break before bed tonight, and jotted some notes and threw this together... Ideas are coming fast and furious. Maybe a Christmas launch? Small smile.

You're an Aspiring Writer Who Needs to Write LitRPG. Other authors want to reach the same audience. Battle for the LitRPG Lands!

Combo card game and board game...

With cards -

Publish a Book --> Get Fans / Readers --> Build Your Lands

Collect cards that are tasks in writing a novel - ie Write 1 Chapter, Write 3 Chapters, etc. The longer the book the better. Also, Edit Novel. Format Novel. Finally, when you have enough cards, you publish the novel.

Trolls come and say, "It's NOT LitRPG!" - enemies

Once you have at least one book published, you're launched on the game board with a single hex you have to build up - while still publishing your next novel.

Goal is to take the giant middle island or have more hexes than all other players.

NPC controls some of the hexes. Nigerian Prince who is the true-founder of all the LitRPG.

.........???????????................

That's all for now. Gotta take Oma to doctor tomorrow then back to work on the novel.

The novel. My novel. Human. (Unofficially GRIND.) About 15% into the third draft with some changes to add depth and fix dialogue.

Anyway, here's some crazy prototype maps for the LitRPG Lands Board Game...

LitRPG Lands Test 1.JPG LitRPG Lands Test 1b.JPG

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Alexis Keane likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or maybe at first you're on a boat and you wander around the board collecting cards until you can publish your first "novel" then you get your first land hex and can start building (via cards??)

Alexis Keane likes this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    To make it enlightening, I could have the middle island be less total hexes than some (most/all?) of the outer islands hexes - showing that even if you're in control of a big kingdom, with a good book and strategy, you can "win the game."

Alexis Keane likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The first one would only officially have cards for LitRPG Reads and LitRPG Forum...However, if the game's a hit, we could easily make it like Talisman or something where other authors could publish their own Expansion Set (i.e. add cards describing their books/process) into the game??

Alexis Keane likes this.
  14. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As contentious as the genre is right now, with battle lines being drawn and various allegiances already making veiled (and not-so-veiled) threats against one another, not to mention the fear of litigation I would be very, very wary of making a game where someone controlled the litRPG lands. I think that's way too meta anyway. Do most readers know about the behind the scene stuff? If they do, do they want to play a game about it? And if they don't, do you want to involve them in the dirty laundry "this isn't litRPG" crap that's doing the rounds?

Maybe all of this was said in jest and I need to read your post when a three year old isn't trying to close the browser a hundred times... :)

A game where you ignore the lit part of litRPG is just a board game though, so you'll have to do something special...

15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I'd not use anybody's IP (intellectual property)... other than my own for the game.

I think I'm going to have to shelve the idea (again!) for a while, but I still think it's solid. Could introduce boardgamers to LitRPG, which would be a win.

The game would be more a strategy building game of sorts built around the idea of LitRPG publishing...

I'll let the idea gestate a while longer. Still open to other ideas! ;)

Alexis Keane likes this.
  16. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Man where have I been? Is this Facebook drama?

Maybe I should coin my own genre haha.

17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Advanced LitRPG lol

Alexis Keane likes this.
  18. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    i beta tested a few boargames also, would be happy to help.

I think a card game or a skirmish game would be better. Easier to make too

19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ooh. I think I have a cool idea. Jotted some notes. We shall see. I'd like to keep it under $30 if possible? Aiming for 2 to 5 players. Maybe solo too?

Can't wait to share more. Soon! Back to editing.

Viergacht and Alexis Keane like this.
  20. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Behold! My new genre...

L33tRPG

Viergacht likes this.