"Mama's" caravan?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Hastur, Jun 30, 2020.

?

How many new villagers will the caravan have?

1. Less than 100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 100 to 250

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. 250 to 500

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. More than 500

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, but without weight reduction and size, they are far less useful for transporting large quantities of suplies.

2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No o was thinking she had warned him about up holding to his part of the deal with her people. It was as if she would know if he did or didn’t do something. I’ll try to go back and relisten. I really figured you would know.

3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Useful enough Richter hasn't gone 1 book without one, size reduction alone (not carrying a backpack full but a pouch) can be super handy.

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks once again. That helps me make the point. I know Jewish people had been mentioned earlier but during their persecutions they learned to conceal their wealth. That way in those bad times they could disappear with their wealth in hand. So the would place their wealth in things like jewels and jewelry. To my point a bag of holding itself is extremely valuable. Another benefit of having a bag. Any other cumbersome goods that aren’t specifically needed could have been turned into gold or better yet jewels and jewelry. Then just the necessities purchased to for the trip as many items could be repurchased later. Of course that’s me thinking of what I would do. A large wooden wheel wagon pulled by an Ox might get you right through the country side. Even those guards and soldiers wouldn’t be able to stop or catch a wagon moving fast like it had a mission through the country side.

5. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nothing like "she'll know", but there is a part where
    "Every man or woman that gets a contract through me is paid and treated fairly. If there is ever an issue I make sure my people are taken care of, and then I deal with anyone that would cheat me and mine."

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  6. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like he is being checked up on after so many original people are dead. I'm thinking the contract shows they are dead.

7. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hopefully mama is bringing a new stationary buzz saw that could be powered by the river to greatly increase productivity

8. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A crafter doesn't need to carry their inventory around, on the contrary they would have to lift it at all times or risk having the bag snatched with a demand for ransom if its soulbound. Richter has a 90% reduction in weight, but thats the luxury version. Lesser bags may require that you carry half the weight or more. Thats a lot of weight if someone wants to clean as much of their inventory, materials storage and possesions as possible, especially if they also have a family.

A carriage and donkeys is cheaper and you likely have more space, as well as somewhere to sit when you don't want to walk. Might have a purse of holding for the really valuable stuff, on the other hand said purse likely costs more than a second carriage and donkeys set.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah that was probably it. My question was how would she ever know? Unless she was kept informed. Johanns statement below could answer that.

10. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This has gotten away from us.

Yes, obviously if you're moving literally everything you and or your family own(s), then you need something more cost effective. If things like cutlery don't get stored in the same slot because they're not the same then even more so.

However, if your taking the essentials, or adventuring, or just want some piece of mind, these bags are very, very useful, and don't have to cost a small mint. The utility isn't just weight loss, or storing large cumbersome objects, and it doesn't have to be a maxed out piece every time. Even just having 1 thing that ways 100 pounds instead of 100 things weighing one pound each is a huge advantage. Yes, these people are suffering under the Yvesian regime but they're not paupers. They're looking for a better life.

I'm not trying to say everyone and they're mother will have one, but what I've been trying to say is that an entrepreneurial enchanter could make a decent living selling smaller everyday bags of holding, to the common folk, and people with less money than the pope would buy them. Like a wallet with 1x3 spaces. Can't be stolen, can't be lost, auto sorts your money, made of minimal leather. The soul stones would be negligible, because the piece is negligible. The crystal powder I don't believe costs ungodly amounts. The poorer and unemployed? No, of course not. The employed, while they might not have been making the standard wage of 4 silver every 2 weeks, did make some money however. Some of them will have wanted to a place to keep things. I can't believe there isn't someone who saw the opportunity for theft proof minor enchantments for the common folk. Or bags that aren't soul bound for people like hunters and fisherman and such. The utility is too real not to.

Dragon and Captain BlackJack like this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol I can see it now.

Dragongard was a professed dwarvin crafter. He stood high in his wagon shielding his eyes from the sun as he looked back. His wife a half elf looks at him as she swaddled their only child. “What do you see Dragon” “aaaah shite” he says. She ask “is it the guards?” He replied with a deep but quite “no it’s soldiers”. You errant clay-brained pignut I told you not to go with the donkeys and wagon! How do you plan to make them out run the soldiers horses. Dragongard reaches into his purse and pulls out a carrot telling her to hold it high. Then he screamed “now get out woman and run!”
    :p

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Shout it brother!
    shout it LOUD!
    That’s what I’m saying! Put all those valueables in a bag of holding. Then stick up where the light of day won’t see it. To me a bag of holding is worth every penny and some. I really don’t think the caravan is worried about thieves stealing from them. They are worried about making good on their escape. Anything that I could run or galllop away with would be Mist Village bound with two guys and a boat. Or would it be two humans and a wagon?

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wouldn't refugees on foot carrying their earthly possesions on their backs be even slower?

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No doubt, you are right as rain! Tell me though what would make you think someone was trying move off? A family walking through town? Or ole Dragongard loading a wagon in front of his house with all his family’s heirlooms and his workshop tools.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mama is coming with a large caravan and was close to the wood elf kingdom west of the village, which means they are outside or close to the Yvesian border. The Yvesian government has to know they left Law, which is one reason I doubt there will be all that many professionals with them. The kingdom still maintains some outward politeness and the fiction of fairness, so as long as the people leaving aren't too valuable it wouldn't be worth it to play hardball and force them to stay.

The kingdom probably knew they were leaving long before they left. Hundreds of people can't prepare for a journey of several weeks overland without buying large quantitites of supplies including food.

16. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was easy to buy from them because of the referral from Terrod.

17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That was part of it, but they were still denied after the referral from terrod. It was only after a goodly bribe that the books could be purchased.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did mama have a grand caravan or was it just a caravan? I’m hoping it’s a grand caravan. They just allow for so much more cargo.

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    822F3AC6-453D-4D29-9D3B-34930DF78462.jpeg Hello
    Hello

HELLO!

Are

You

There?

Now that’s what I’m talking about.

Mama be haulin in style if she has a Grand Caravan.

:p:D:)

::DANCE::

Johan and Dragon like this.