Mental Kombat and Mindscapes

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

59%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree on him just doing his things. I hope he doesn’t continue to add stuff because it necessitates a ton of retcons.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Perhaps he could. Would it consent to such a meeting of the minds? If so its sure to be an odd conversation. I'm not sure aleron can pull off a truly good, benevolent being for an entire conversation. I think its more likely he will go with the good old communion of the minds, where no words are necesary, but instead the author gets to explain the gist of it and the mysterious, divine being stays mysterious.

As for an abyssal version of the quickening, I don't think so. The quickening is an inherently selfless being whose primary purpose and desire is to help others reach their full potential. At worst it encourages others to protect it out of gratefullness, something it never asks for. I think that kind of thinking would be anathema to abyssal, devilish and demonic beings of all stripes. From what we've seen so far, Aleron sticks to a traditional good vs evil dynamic.

There might be abyssal creatures that can help you advance, maybe even far faster than the fruit of the quickening, but it will be at a cost. It will be a transaction, likely a loopsided one in their favor where you end up as their servant or slave unless you are extremely careful.

3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am sure there is an abyssal version of the quickening. Of course it would be the exact opposite of what the Quickening is. I sure wouldn’t want it on the same continent with myself. One of us would have to go.

AndyJ and Mister Bill like this.
  4. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can see Ricther being able to communicate with the Celestial tree by using a mindscape. Although the only way I can see it is through a sense of emotions. At that Ricthers own emotions could put him at odds being Chaotic. Any celestial would be lawful good in nature which would make them not trust Ricther so much as Chaotic neutral. The quickening just wouldn’t be able to fully trust him to always do the right “good” thing.

AndyJ likes this.
  5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If Richter was good 2 or 3 the quickening would know Richter's inclination would be to protect his own first and others a close second as long as the burden wasn't unreasonable. The inclination to help the other without much thought for personal gain would be a driving force, but not to the point where other factors such as racial hatreds and old conflicts couldn't still play in - we see that with the human hating sprites. Even superman has been tempted to kill at times, and he would probably be good 6 or 7 (aka pure heroic character who will risk his life to save anyone, even a total scumbag).

Similarly, some evil races such as Druegar will go far to protect and aid their own. Where they differ from good and neutral races lies in how they treat the other as well as the lesser. Namely as useful tools, if not fun squeaky toys that can be used as they please. Que in the goblins and their gennerally unrestrained sadism towards anyone weaker than themselves (its worth noting that its not universal, the goblin druid diden't strike me as a sadist, more of a neutral alignment).

Gennerally, taking justifed or understandable evil actions do not make you evil. But when you do those things for the sake of doing them (aka you think its funny, entertaining, you get off on it etc.), you have crossed the line. You are an evil person.

That said, I see racial alignment as more of an indicator of where you are likely to go given the natural inclinations of your race and the environment they are likely to raise you in. A newborn goblin with natural evil 2 isn't evil, but its likely it will be due to factors out of its control.

We know elements such as personal qualities can counter that. If a goblin is honorable, kind, generous, steadfast or has some other positive qualities, those will likely change his alignment towards good.

Alternatively, subraces can probably be changed with hard work and luck. If nothing else you can always evolve into a race with an alignment that more closely fits your character.

6. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Something like the Devil Fruit Tree, but with consequences and a price for eating the fruit and getting the Power/Ability, probably a drop in Alignment, increased inclination to act like that Alignment drop (although can be resisted with some effort and awareness) and likely painful Health Risks (poisoning, ect) during transformation, especially for the Positively Aligned. May get a slight boost or weakening to certain Stats as well?

AndyJ and Captain BlackJack like this.
  7. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well you say that one can do things that they don’t get thrills from and not wear the evil tag. Yet Randy did what he was required to do and he has to wear an evil spy tag.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are oversimplifying my point a little.

His ruthlessness is considered an evil quality. He is a politician and an extreme loyalist, getting rid of people he considers problematic but know to be innocent for the greater good of the kingdom wouldn't be unthinkable for him.

I don't think its unreasonable to consider that kind of ruthlessness inherently evil.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter should look into constructing are Mental Library in his Mind Fortress, to see if it gives any Benifits.

Mister Bill likes this.
  10. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

59%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree. Could be neat! Same for any other buildings.