Minecraft: The Island

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by Paul Bellow, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    LitRPG? Or no?

Heard a good interview on NPR with Max Brooks today while driving around.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/22/536892650/life-lessons-with-zombies-in-minecraft-the-island

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/15/54361...yslexia-and-growing-up-with-hollywood-parents

2. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    WHY do people write Minecraft books its probably my least favorite genre I have NEVER seen one even mildly like the game and or interesting, the Minecraft universe shouldn't even be a thing and this is coming from someone who has played the game for 5 years. To answer your question no, I dont think its LitRPG at least not if its based on Minecraft because Minecraft has no story (yes theres story mode and a small story) the actual game is more of a sandbox then a game in and of itself there are no rails nothing forcing you to do anything no real limits I would honestly call it fan fic if you wrote a book inside a pre established world but completely changed the story you would probably call it fan fiction there is an argument to be made that this dosent stop it from being LitRPG but personaly i think in the case of Minecraft it is. I think the better term is to call it portal fantasy fan fiction I had an argument written out but im having a hard time narrowing down why I think this is the case.

3. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm actually reading this book to my daughters. A chapter a night at bedtime. I think we're on chapter 5. The story is horrible. It's one of the most banal and boring things I've ever read in my entire life. Just horrible, but my daughters love it.

It's full immersion. The guy is actually in Minecraft and he's learning about the world and its occupants as he encounters them. So, the first time he sees a creeper, he doesn't know what it is, and is shocked when it explodes. He has to learn how to mine blocks, how to craft things, learns about monsters coming out in the dark... all of the stuff you experience in the game. It's told in first person so you get to experience things as the character does.

Portal fantasy is a fair description. Personally, I would classify it as LitRPG simply because the guy is in a game, learning the rules, and trying to navigate a virtual world while staying alive. However, the game does not have in-game notifications. If he levels up, I haven't gotten to that part yet. The people who love 'crunchy LitRPG' would hate and despise this book because so far there hasn't been a single crunchy bit. However, if you take a more expansive view of the genre, then you'll probably accept it as LitRPG.

The answer to your question is that it depends on your personal opinions.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah... I'm just thinking of ways to tie it to LitRPG so that the hundreds of thousands who enjoyed it might start to look for other LitRPG. ;)

5. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, personally, I think it's LitRPG because it is about living in a game. The entire book is the guy dealing with and figuring out game elements. To my thinking, you really can't get much more LitRPG than that. However, the bits that I have read will earn it nothing but condemnation and scorn from that niche group who demands crunchy LitRPG... because so far, it ain't got that.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, but it's not marketing itself as LitRPG is what I'm saying. Like Jumanji, I want to tie the Minecraft book to our genre.

7. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh yeah. You'll have to complain to Mojang and Microsoft about that. Honestly, LitRPG is such small potatoes to them, they probably don't care. They don't need to market it as LitRPG. They can just slap the word 'Minecraft' on it and people will buy it. It's kinda the exact same effect on people as when they see a new book with the words 'Written by Paul Bellow' slapped across the front: impulse purchase.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You're missing my point. I want to tie them together because they won't! ;)

Can't hurt to try.

9. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, I get what you're trying to do. I support your efforts.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry, I misread then.

I mean, it's a herculean task, but it could improve the genre for everyone.

11. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean the book is great if you're nine years old, but for adults it's pretty horrible. I'd hate for people to think all LitRPG books are similar to that.

12. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thats honestly why im so opposed to it being LitRPG not only are most Minecraft books bad and the same they dont follow most of the conventions of LitRPG so there not even that similar they also have the problem of being bait for kids who like Minecraft (there selling on the IP not on the genre or style) so suggestions can turn those kids off of LitRPG (also they probably shouldn't be reading it in the first place given that most LitRPGs arent exactly kid friendly) IF however someone was to write some childrens LitRPG I would be interested to see how it does as many books in the genre rely on power fantasys.

13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tower of Gates is Young Adult (been called adolescent too). I think that has some to do with why mine aren't selling as well in the current market, but I think it will open up over the next 6 to 12 months.

14. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    when I mean children's I mean like the 7-10 age range something a little more Narnia and a little less dark

Paul Bellow likes this.