Mod for the sub-forum? ++

Discussion in 'Help & Housekeeping' started by Paul Bellow, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey, everyone! Welcome! If you're a refugee from Aleron Kong's forum, we're happy to have you here! If you have any problems or concerns, let me know. If this sub-forum gets too big, we could make sub-sub-forums too, to make it easier for everyone to browse.

If anyone thinks we ever need a moderator for this sub-forum, let me know. I tend to keep a close eye on everything here (this forum is a passion project of mine), but I'm always down for help from the community when/if it's needed.

That's about all I got. Again, enjoy your stay!

[​IMG]

Johan and ShoughtLoud like this.
  2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A mod would be a good idea, depending on how many refugees we get back it was pretty wild west-ish back there.
    [​IMG]

Johan and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, we want to avoid that if possible!

Let's see how it goes and how many other new people show up.

Feel free to browse the rest of the forum or just stay in here if you like.

[​IMG]

4. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let me know if you have a suggestion for what to do with all my mechanics/ whatever you call my "All these ____" threads

SnackBarbarian and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could make a game-mechanics sub-forum if you think it'll be helpful. That or we could TAG them (like in the WIP sub-forum)? Up to you! I serve at your pleasure! ;)

Seriously, lemme know, and we'll make it happen.

6. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There was usually a good tone and we always managed to settle things eventually. We probably do need someone with the power to beat the occasional thug - i mean troll - down, and remove insulting posts, but its a balancing act. Definitely do not want someone who can't take a few harsh words when people are in the middle of a what-should-I-call-it, lively discussion. That sounded nice.

There was also that religious nut that kept posting on a subforum and that time we got invaded by bots. A new post every 3 minutes XD So yeah we need someone with a cleanup ability, but not someone who will start deleting posts unless its below the belt.

Also, hi everyone, managed to track you down.

Paul Bellow and ShoughtLoud like this.
  7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't disagree, I meant wild west-ish in that we had to kind of police ourselves as a community :)
    And welcome back!

Johan, Dragon and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Understood. I will do my best.

[​IMG]

Dragon likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, and before I forget, we've got virtual shops with virtual items to spend your virtual LitCoin!

DragonByte Shop | LitRPG Forum

Good to see so many people arriving!

[​IMG]

10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like Exiles, and also Forsaken. Twice I have been exiled from my Homeland. Three times if you count Mist Village Mafia Facebook page, lol.

PokeMosses has led us (actually scratch that he didn't lead or tell us) to our new Homeland. Thank you @Paul Bellow for putting this together and @Benji Bigelow

I think it was amazing that for three years without a Mod everything was fairly tame.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Paul Bellow and ShoughtLoud like this.
  11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought about asking how you got banned from the mvm Facebook page but after a few weeks there during the interim I'm not even shocked. Huge echo chamber that does not take well to criticisms.

Paul Bellow and Johan like this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hopefully, you'll find we're a bit different here. There's likely a reason you haven't heard about us until now. ;)

Johan and SnackBarbarian like this.
  13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @staff member do you know if it possible to put a poll in as a post on a thread? Could we have a thread that is just full of posts containing polling info?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You can summon me with @Paul Bellow ... ;)

When you post a new thread, if you scroll down, you should see poll options. If you don't, let me know, and I'll see if I messed something up on the backend.

pollthread.JPG

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For a new thread is fine and all, but we have never been able to create multiple polls after the first of the thread, in the thread. Instead we had to go the route of having someone mod a debate thread where we manually add people to answers and have them delete their vote to save space. Let us know if you have any ideas.
    [Edit...is there an emoticon for that]
    It is about concentration of relevant info. In the old forum we had stuff scattered over twenty some odd of thread lists and it became hard to find stuff. For instance my "All these" threads, that acted as our own little wiki, should have been placed together. Not in a single thread but in a sub-forum I suppose. Things like "All these Discussions" on this forum were created to keep track of people's opinions and hold them to it, while keeping the forum clean and organized. Otherwise we would have to search through pages of threads to find the poll we are looking for. So if you have seen the old forum, what are some ideas to keep things organized that we weren't able to do before or Haven't thought of.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gotcha. MAybe we could create a POLL sub-sub-forum. I don't think there's a way to add a second poll to a poll thread, but I'll look into it.

Tell you what, let me know what you (and the other @Exiles ) want for sub-forums, and I will make it happen. I'm happy to help come up with ideas. We do want to make it easy to browse/find information.

I'll keep thinking on my end, but I'm all for hearing ideas.

17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One thing I know I have disregard are tags. That probably would have helped, but like with my works server, people need to know what tags to use. But we could not pin a thread. But I don't know what happens when clicking on a tag either. Does it show all tags on the forum; or just the sub-forum you are on without the related sub-sub-forum.

18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We have a tags page, but we weren't great about using it either. Gets a bit cumbersome.

Search Tags | LitRPG Forum

We could do something like...

• THE LAND UNOFFICIAL
      • INTRODUCTIONS (self explanatory)
      • HALL OF RECORDS (old posts, memories)
      • GAME MECHANICS (game mechanics threads)
      • ALL THINGS CHAOS SEEDS (catchall?)
    The problem I've always found is that if you have TOO MANY choices that also becomes cumbersome. I'm sure we can strike some sort of balance if we think about it.

There's also the prefix option. I'm going to set that up right now for POLL. We could do similar prefixes for different things like game mechanics and what-not instead of doing sub-forums.

Gimme a sec...

19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, here's an example of the prefix method...

prefix2.JPG prefix1.JPG

We could do other pre-fixes. We use these in the WIP sub-forum and a few other places. I think you can click on the prefix and get just those threads.

Anything I can do to make this place easier / more fun, let me know!

I serve at your pleasure!

[​IMG]

Johan likes this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ShoughtLoud likes this.