Movies I like, but, you might not know about them.

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Seagrim, May 1, 2018.

1. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm a fellow who's been watching movies for quite a few years. I've seen movies that were older than myself, and, I'm kind of surprised when I'll make a comment from one and people just look at me with a blank expression.
    Now, the reason I'm popping this up is, I think this would be a good place for movies or TV that are old, or obscure enough that they might not be well known or remembered anymore. Just so people can get an idea of them. I'm going to put up a couple viddies or trailers and see if anything sticks or if people enjoy them. Also, maybe movies that you find addicting, watching again and again.

One of the movies that I've watched more than once is this little gem from 1975. Rollerball starring James Caan. I think of this as one of the first cyberpunk stories I've ever seen and, while it's slow in parts, it is really as influential in the creation of the Cyberpunk genre as Bladerunner, which was released 7 years later. Rollerball in the glittering corporate towers and Bladerunner, down in the dirty trash-strewn streets.

Another movie I've watched tons of times is Knightriders. Released by George Romero in 1981 and filmed around Pittsburgh PA, it is a retelling of the legend of King Arthur set in a traveling Renaissance fair where the jousting show is done from the backs of motorcycles. It's a good movie to watch on how to do a cross-genre story and still deliver a good story. This is even more impressive considering it was filmed on a small budget.

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh man, Rollerball cemented James Caan, in my mind at least, as the ultimate badass. The remake was terrible and only worth it for the couple seconds worth of Rebecca Romijn-Stamos boobs.

It’s not even bad enough to properly enjoy by roasting it - it’s just ... bad.

How about Howard the Duck? It was a critical and commercial flop, and almost drove George Lucas to bankruptcy (he had to sell off Lucas Ranch because of Howard the Duck), but damn if I didn’t absolutely love that movie. How can you not love a campy 80s action flick about an anthropomorphic duck coming to earth to kick the evil overlords of the universe’s collective ass with the power of quack fu and peppy 80s synth-pop?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In Cleveland, no less! ;)

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  5. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have no idea what you're talking about. There was NO remake of Rollerball. NO. REMAKE.

Now, on with the show. Back in the 1960's, Gerry Anderson was doing shows using marination. Shows entirely made using puppets. The Japanese have something very similar, but, instead of these being hand puppets, these were marionettes. Some of the shows were The Thunderbirds and Stingray. However, the one that was my favorite was:
    Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mmm, marination is my favorite part of a steak.

7. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Rollerball sounds like what you get when you mix hokey with football and then have the US and Canada take over the world :p

CheshirePhoenix and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Roller derby, football, basketball, motorcycle racing and full contact martial arts. Jonathan E is the first player to survive long enough to retire.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.