My choice for the top LitRPG titles (May, 2019)

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Conor Kostick, May 20, 2019.

1. Conor Kostick

Conor Kostick Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

23%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Dublin, Ireland
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Recently, I had a go at choosing from the hundreds of LitRPG titles that are available. Having made a top ten list, I found I’d forgotten an important book (Ascend Online) and didn’t have the heart to remove anyone. So I’ve ended up with a top 11!

There’s a grey area as to what exactly is LitRPG and Ready Player One sits in that area. If I had included it in my top ten, Ready Player One would definitely have been in the top three. It’s a great book. But in the end I decided to exclude it. I think most readers of LitRPG enjoy a sense of progression in the game world, whether of the characters or the town, dungeon, etc. And Ready Player One doesn’t have that.

It’s subjective, of course, like any list. And funnily enough, I don’t even agree with myself. Ask me another day and I’m sure I’d swap some around and introduce new titles. And this is written at a particular point in time, 20 May 2019. Since there is a new LitRPG book published every few days, I’m sure this will soon be a dated list. Mind you, it would take a really excellent book to get in the top 5. These are classic LitRPG books already.

So here’s the list. For my reasoning you can read more on the Level Up website.

11. Hack: A LitRPG Novel (Tower of Gates, Book 1), Paul Bellow
    10. The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, Book 1), Aleron Kong
    9. Crota (The Gods’ Game, Volume 1), Rohan M. Vider
    8. Blood Eye (Land of Dreams, Book 1), Morgan Cole
    7. Advent (Red Mage, Book 1), Xander Boyce
    6. The Crafting of Chess: A LitRPG Adventure, Kit Falbo
    5. AlterWorld: Play to Live. A LitRPG Series (Book 1), D Rus
    4. More than a Game (Fayroll, Book 1), Andrey Vasilyev
    3. Ascend Online (Ascend Online, Book 1), Luke Chmilenko
    2. Catharsis (Awaken Online, Book 1), Travis Bagwell

1. Survival Quest (The Way of the Shaman: Book 1), Vasiliy Mahanenko

2. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice showing, @KitFalbo
    Still a little sad that Dante's Immortality didn't make the list..
    (Or Incipere, but I'm biased on that one)

Yuli Ban and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had to pay $500 to get #11! ;) Just kidding. I'm still not sure I deserve to be on it. Means a lot coming from one of the early pioneers of our genre.

Yuli Ban and Gryphon like this.
  4. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd definitely put Awaken Online at #1, but Way of the Shaman isn't a bad pick.
    As for Ready Player One, I dunno. I've been reading it again lately and it's not really holding up well in my eyes. I just realized that a lot of the pop culture references genuinely are just "references", and the story as a whole really missed a lot of its potential in terms of being a tale of the world becoming nostalgic over someone else's nostalgia, and this was never reflected upon.
    I can't throw stones, obviously, but I feel the majority of litRPG works in your list technically surpassed it.

At the same time, I read those litRPG works as litRPG, whereas I read Ready Player One as a mainstream bestseller, so it's true that I'm just holding it up to much higher standards.

Gryphon likes this.
  5. LelulaGames

LelulaGames Author Crissy Moss LitRPG Author Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I need to read Awaken Online and Way of the Shaman. I hear nothing but good things about it.

6. Conor Kostick

Conor Kostick Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

23%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Dublin, Ireland
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You won't regret spending time with the first few books in the series at least. The last one, apparently, is very poor.

LelulaGames likes this.
  7. Arieline

Arieline Level 6 (Footpad) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

78%
    xp:
    Zone:
    France
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I do believe The Land should be first. Caverns and creatures is hilarious. Viridian Gate, Eden's gate, and Life Reset are also very good.