My dirty secret....

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Eden Redd, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought I finally come clean about something I have been keeping a secret.

*deep inhale

I play No Man's Sky.

Now before the fire and brimstone starts, I'm what gamers would call a filthy casual. I don't have time to play as many games as I would like. NMS is good because you can explore space at a nice leisurely pace.

The recent update has improved the game by miles. I'm blown away on the missions and story now. At first it was a nice distraction but now, I hunger to play more!!!!

Even now, i want to get off my phone and play and play and play.

I just thought I share and see if anyone else secretly plays the game. :)

Jay, Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bout it on pre-order never played it. I'm also vastly underwhelmed that this is a dirty secret for you, you filthy casual.....

Kidding about the casual part, I just don't have time for a lot of game playing any more. Now that the Empress of Sexy is talking about it though, maybe i'll Dl it from GOG.com and give it a look this weekend.

3. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is it really considered that bad? It looked interesting, but then, I like open worlds.

4. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's not that bad of a game. It was released last year and seemed unfinished. There has been several updates and it's fun and relaxing. I admit, before the last update I had become a little bored but now with about 30 hours of storyline and repeatable missions, it's pretty fun. :)

Jay likes this.
  5. Eden Redd

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's a better game but is a little overwhelming at first but you get used to it. I understand the whole finding time to play. I play a few hours out of the week bUT now I'm thinking I may play more when my special project is done. :)

I'll keep the filthy casual part extra dirty. ;)

Jay likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was overhyped and underdelivered. Also repetitive grindy and boring, with zero story and a complete lack of any kind of promised multiplayer.

It read to a lot of people as basically unfinished - more like a tech demo than an actual fleshed out and polished game. The internet being the internet, the haet musheen went into overdrive and panned it everywhere.

Jay, Paul Bellow and Eden Redd like this.
  7. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's one of the reasons we love you. You dirty dirty casual

Paul Bellow and Eden Redd like this.
  8. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The concept was great, an infinite space and planets to explore, all of them randomly generating an environment and even creatures for that environment. The kind of thing that you hope games produce one day where the scope is so large that you may never run into another person (player) your entire gameplay.

And you got to name all things you discovered, so that was fun.

But that is all it delivered at launch, you ran around improving you or your ship and hopped from planet to planet.

I was not disappointed in it per se, because what they achieved from a development standpoint was quite impressive, but it lacked the fun factor for sustained gameplay. Glad to see they are working on fixing that though, I still own the game in my steam library, and thought about checking out again a few times.

Jay and Eden Redd like this.
  9. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We all have our dirty and filthy gaming secrets.

In RPG world, I had been a player in an old Hercules and Xena RPG campaign. Clint of the Eastern Wood, yes, I do like the pun names, he was a bounty hunter who had a pair of nunchucks from his father.

For the computer, I have Bejeweled and HuniePop. Sometimes, it's not a life or death struggle, like Rimworld, it's just "I wanna see your BOOBIES!".

Jay, Eden Redd and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm stubborn and only play the survival mode. This tends to last about an hour. Then I start another game and try again.

Once you finally make it to your ship and get it off the planet, things get much easier. Not sure why they had to make the harder version super hard when the normal version is super easy.

Anyway, after like 6 tries, I stopped playing. This was like a month ago, haha.

Jay, Eden Redd and Paul Bellow like this.
  11. Eden Redd

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can't play survival, too stressful. Try the normal game. The new missions are fun and interesting. :) It has really improved on the mission/story of the game. :)

Jay likes this.
  12. Eden Redd

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Everyone loves boobies! :)

(My relaxation games were governer of poker and skyrim on super easy. Sometimes you just want to enjoy the scenery and kill a dragon with one shot. :)

Jay and Seagrim like this.
  13. Eden Redd

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would say with the new upgrade, give it a try since you own it. They say they will continue to improve the game at no extra cost. Worst thing that can happen is you lose a few hours you will never get back. ;)

14. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    But... then I'd be giving in! I'd be telling them I wasn't good enough. ;)

I actually don't play games a ton. I play a bit of StarCraft 2 and get suckered into playing Overwatch or League of Legends every so often. Mainly waiting for Destiny 2 on the PC, and biding my time with writing. :)

Eden Redd likes this.
  15. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suppose my dirty secret is I'd rather play Mario Kart on my old N64 than just about anything else.

16. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I bought no man sky after it came out and played for a while. One of my co-worker and author friends is trying to talk me into trying it again after the last update.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. John Rickett

John Rickett Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

10%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've had it since launch but haven't touched it since they started with the updates. I've heard really good things but may wait until they get full coop support before diving back in.

I'm one of the few people who really enjoyed it at launch, exploring and discovering, and can't wait to get in there to check out the new stuff.

Ian Mitchell likes this.
  18. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I liked it when I got it as well. Reminded me a lot of playing Spore.

19. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My dirty secret is that I haven't played video games in months (and I haven't played them seriously in longer than that) because I've been writing so much, and for the most part I watch no-commentary playthroughs to stay up to date on titles. Even titles I've long since played and beaten. I have innumerable video games— physically, digitally, and emulated— and I just never play them.
    Also, I came into this genre having only played a handful of RPGs (compared to the size of my collection; it's still quite a few and usually the best in the genre) and I've never actually played an MMORPG. I've just watched videos of others do that (and now I suppose, I've read books of others doing that as well). That was mainly because my internet connection was so shit for the longest time and my mother wasn't ever going to pay for a monthly subscription for a video game. And once I got my own disposable income, I was already falling away from video games.

Now that I think about it, the last video game I've been playing regularly was Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. So f**k my tongue, I guess?

Also, the reason No Man's Sky failed is multifold:
    1. Overhyped. It was made out to be this transcendental space civilization simulator when it's ultimately a cartoony space-set crafting-simulator. And it was overhyped for years. I remember discussing No Man's Sky way back in 2013, and I was one of the first to point out how the 2013 UK floods could have had ruinous effects on the development of the game. But they soldiered on. Because of this, people put their identities into the game. It was the strangest thing but towards the end, people seemed personally offended if you didn't get a ticket on NMS's hype train, to the point they were sending death threats to a whole load of people, even the creator of the game itself Sean Murray. It was almost like politics.
    2. Overstated features. The cold fact is that Hello Games was always an indie studio. They didn't have thousands of employees or a nine-figure budget to develop this game. Thus, going back to what I said before, people thought it was going to be more than it actually was. I remember some people who actually said that it would be like a fusion of Spore, Elite: Dangerous, Eve: Valkyrie, Deus Ex, Grand Theft Auto, and Far Cry, like there were going to be whole procedurally generated sci-fi civilizations on these planets and that you could literally choose to play an entirely different game if you wanted. Oh, and it was going to be an MMORPG that could topple Dungeon and Dragons' dominance. Not only that, but you could even create your own vehicles and space ships to race throughout the galaxy with others, creating a complex virtual economy unlike any other. What we got was laser-based crafting. Sure, updates have given the game more features, but it was never going to be any of these things. And like with the flaws and failures of political ideologies, that was a thought a lot of people couldn't accept or even entertain, of course. And why?
    3. Poor communication. Hello Games could've stopped that Augustian nightmare by just explaining to the press and to fans what was and wasn't going to be in it. But it seems like they deliberately led fans and followers on. Sean Murray had more than enough opportunities to tell the world that the game was a purely single-player experience. Not only did he not do that, but he lied and said there was multiplayer. And if there's anything people despise, it's liars. You know, like politicians.
    4. Gameplay was genuinely boring. I haven't played it in a year, and I've heard from some that it's gotten a bit better, but I just have no desire to return to it. Speaking of which, that was another thing that hurt it— awful first impressions turned people off permanently. I remember TotalBiscuit and Angry Joe tearing that game a new one, and some tried rationalizing that it wasn't as bad as some were saying because this was the game Hello Games always said it was going to be. Except... they never said that. They always skirted around saying just what kind of game it was supposed to be. And they never once corrected fans when they got misinformed about it. Suddenly falling back on the "this is what it was supposed to be" argument after it didn't live up to the hype they themselves fostered was weak. So then it started looking more like they were greedy two-faced wannabe AAA-devs more than the artistic indie devs who had a grand idea and tried their best to make it real. Like when a prole reformer becomes a career politician.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  20. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dont worry im right there with you havent played many RPGs and as MMORPGs Ive I think 1 or 2 for any length of time longer then 1 week and even then not for verry long although recently I have gotten into MineThings which is a cool little browser MMO that takes almost none of your time and isnt one of those annoying FTP games(hint hint go check it out its not for everyone but it is cool)

As for games I've basically been alternating between playing LOZ breath of the wild (great game) and Starcraft 2 granted ive been playing a ton of SC2 because I have a chronic ilness and thus have more time idle then your average joe