Nanowrimo

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Viergacht, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you're not familiar with it, the basic idea is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days (about 1,667 words a day). You don't win any prizes, the goal is just to get a first draft knocked out as fast as possible. You can go back and edit later on, of course. Several people have actually gotten works published that started as nanos.

Anyways, I wondered if anyone else was going to try this year?

https://nanowrimo.org/

Alexis Keane and VRRanger like this.
  2. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just to add, the last few years there were some pretty cool bonuses for participants (and better ones for "finishers"). Scrivener discounts, 4thewords vouchers, etc. Very much worth the price of admission (which is $0).

Alexis Keane, VRRanger and Viergacht like this.
  3. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks for posting......my friend was telling me about this or something similar...sounds interesting, I might do this.

Alexis Keane and Viergacht like this.
  4. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I try to participate in NaNoWriMo every year, but it doesn't always line up with my own writing schedule. This year, it looks like I'll be in the middle of the first draft for my Apocalypse 2020 sequel, so I'll probably participate and write 50,000 words on it in November. It's always a good motivator and a great way to meet other writers.

Alexis Keane, Viergacht and VRRanger like this.
  5. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll be in working on Hacked. Finally got back to writing it, and it made me happy to see my characters again.

6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can almost always tell the difference between a nano novel and a regular one. Usually comes down to plot holes - writing stream of consciousness like that, it's hard to get from point A to point B without leaving at least a few behind, unlike a well prewritten book.

7. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That doesn't necessarily mean a nano book. I outline my nano stories ahead of time so they're still very much planned.

8. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The version you write during Nano is jsut like a first draft, you are expected to edit it afterwards.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  9. Charlie Moorcock

Charlie Moorcock Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I'm in. I generally write about 60k a month but it would be cool to write with a community for a month. Hopefully I'll have Escape Life Online finished by then so I can just slip into the sequel.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Check out the LitRPG Leaderboard thread in the WIP forum.

11. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Look at all the non-nanobooks that get released with terrible or nonexistent editing. There are quite a few I've read that use spellcheck in lieu of an editor - it always shows.

12. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Found a fb group, nanowrimo - writers support group

Alexis Keane likes this.
  13. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    OK, created my account...If anyone else is thinking of NANO and power writing a LitRPG or anything else and want to do the whole "writing buddies" thing let me know.

14. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yep, I'll be doing it. I'll also be committing to NaNoWriMo '17.

Funny as hell, my NaNo account dates back to 2013. Yet I've never finished a novel for it... This year, it's gonna be a breeze though since I've gotten practice. I could probably outdo it, instead averaging at around 2,500 words or even 3,000 words a day instead. It's frighteningly easy to do that, especially when you have a journal writing online software and various tricks to ward off writer's block to help you.

Speaking of which, check out:
    https://750words.com
    http://writeordie.com

Yes, you do.

None of them compare to my favorites from a couple years back, where you got free copies of your (presumably unedited or lightly edited) novel courtesy of CreateSpace, but they're all great.

The crazy thing is that even if you can't afford an editor (which is most people ever), you still have a free tool to help edit your novel like a professional. It's a tool built into every human, even if some don't have it activated. It's called ears.
    If you listen to your writing, you can basically become your own editor because there's a massive audiovisual disconnect. The "you" who reads is not the same "you" who listens, bizarrely enough.
    I've had this happen, where I write things down and read them back and think it sounds perfectly fine. Then I either run it through a text-to-speech software or I read it outloud and I go "who was the invalid who thought this whole passage was a good choice to put down in words?" You pick up on spelling and grammar errors that your eyes automatically gloss over (often multiple times with multiple rereads even). You can 'hear' flow that your eyes may miss that, when you rectify, suddenly seems imperceptible nicer to read.
    It's unreal how often "the cat burrowed under the the rug slit to run away" or sentences like it can escape you. Even when I read that sentence, my brain is pulling some O'Brien 1984 BS, trying to mesh the two "the's" into one. As a bonus, the preceding sentence doesn't flow well either because of confusing tenses. Is 'read' past or present? Why am I using a present perfect verb when a present participle works so much better?

An editor helps too. More than most will immediately guess. But I'm just saying, if you don't have ready access to one's services, there are plenty of better options than relying on Spellcheck.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  15. AmyH

AmyH Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've registered but I'll be wearing the rebel badge while I finish up one project then start on the next :) I'm not a terribly fast writer but I just managed 55k in 31 days, so I'm aiming to win this year!

16. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Should I sticky this post for everyone involved?

Alexis Keane and Viergacht like this.
  17. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah!

I'm Lew Viergacht on Nano.

Alexis Keane and VRRanger like this.
  18. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  19. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think I'm about at....

[​IMG]

20. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh dear... This is going to backfire so badly, I just know it.

Brian Simons and Jay like this.