new here, reader and aspiring author

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mr Stephen J Greenhouse, Apr 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mr Stephen J Greenhouse

Mr Stephen J Greenhouse Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen Aspiring Writer

3%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have started and stopped writing a few times and I think I have enough gold nuggets to make an interesting story with fun characters, ones that you would love to listen to in an audiobook. I have listened to a number of litrpg books and I am fairly familiar with what should be included, but I want to do some more reading in this area to make sure my story is written properly to fit into this genre. Anyway, hi it's nice to meet you, I'm Stephen.

Yuli Ban and TravisBach like this.
  2. Nadernad

Nadernad guy who reads litrpg instead of sleeping Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Human's Land of Oaks
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey! The forum lets us, lovers of reading LitRPG, ask questions for authors, and share their experiences. Authors, like ypu will be soon, can recieve feed back from readers. (theres plenty of fooling around too) Great place here, the people are great. I hope you find only joy in your experiences.Welcome and forever be well!

Yuli Ban and TravisBach like this.
  3. Mr Stephen J Greenhouse

3%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you, I have just been reading through the threads, you guys are are very open, its refreshing. I work as an artist making crafty gifts in my day job and have free time approaching as summer nears. I really would love to make a book and get a foot on the ladder as an author. I have been doing a bunch of research listening to what well known authors have to say as advice which is very helpful.

I think I overthink things and really don't need to. Stephen King said once that great characters in unusual situations make a great story, and plot is an inconvenience, writing is the process of discovering how characters perform in these situations. I think that really clarified things for me since I haven't had any training in writing since I was at school.

I guess I just wanted to discover the main essentials that define the genre, that so much has some importance, and as far as I can see it is just that stats are stated occasionally, the world has NPCs players and AIs, monsters and the rest is kind of up to you, guilds and missions really depends on your writing perspective.

Let me know if you think I've missed anything there, that's my working theory on the subject ! Anyways, off to the gym to clear my head, have great day,

Cheers

Steph

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Yuli Ban likes this.
  4. GRCooper

GRCooper Author of the Singularity Point LitRPG series LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He can get away with it - but most of us need a plot ;-)

5. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome! :)

Yuli Ban likes this.
  6. Mr Stephen J Greenhouse

3%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    thank you

Yuli Ban likes this.
  7. Mr Stephen J Greenhouse

3%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is great advice, thank you !

Yuli Ban likes this.
  8. Mr Stephen J Greenhouse

3%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I made a timeline of events, it is singularly the best thing that I've done to add structure.

Yuli Ban and GRCooper like this.
  9. Thomas Davidsmeier

Thomas Davidsmeier Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's also a man who finished many of his books in a flurry of typing and coke, and I don't mean the stuff in the red cans.

Yuli Ban likes this.
  10. Mr Stephen J Greenhouse

3%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yikes, I don't intend to do that, I will work on my timeline of events, that'll do for me

Yuli Ban likes this.
  11. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome to the forum, Stephen.

Looking forward to crossing paths here, and hope you're writing takes off.

Terry

Yuli Ban likes this.
  12. Michael Wallace

Michael Wallace Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

70%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi Stephen, I joined the forum today and saw your post. I utterly love the LitRPG genre and it has given me great pleasure reading the stories other people just like you have written. Have you had a chance to work on your book?

Yuli Ban likes this.
  13. Mr Stephen J Greenhouse

3%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have had some time. I have been reading "The writers compass" be Nancy Ellen Dodd, while working in my eeked out time after work and on the train. I made a timeline of events and then entered that into a free android app on my tablet called simplemind, which is a mind map/spider diagram software that I am finding very useful, because it is like having a cork board to pin story cards to except you can take it with you anywhere, and it can be infinitely edited and expanded.

The left side of my mind map work is all dedicated to world building, so geography, cities and names of everything, NPC's, PC's Mobs etc... to which new attributes can be added to as they come to me.

the right hand side of the mind map is the linear progression of my story cards, so far the prologue and the first 3 segments of the first chapter are entered. it is time consuming planning all of this out, but it will be worth it when the actual writing happens because I will have the framework ready.

Last edited: May 28, 2019