New source of magic cores

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Joe Schmoe, Dec 24, 2020.

?

Will Richter get a magic core from the sea of chaos?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. It'll be offered but he will choose something else

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How do you know you would get life magic? Didn’t the story say the Ricthers tree type was chosen by the needs of the Land itself? Or sometime hat effect. My understanding is that you could get any magical type of tree it’s all based on what the surroundings need. It could make some form of death, light, air or hellish tree.

I do believe that a room big enough for the tree would be best. That would confine he ambient mana from the tree increasing the dungeons consumption of its magic type. For instance Ricthers celestial tree is open air. Everything living around it is getting ambient mana from it. Some of that ambient mana would drift off and some portion would be consumed by the dungeon. In a tighter area it would be more concentrated and it wouldn’t have any animals or anything else absorbing any of it. To me it’s like using one rod to heat a nuclear reactor the size of Atlanta aquarium compared to using the same rod to heat a compact car size reactor.

Mister Bill likes this.
  2. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He will be able to do that with the celestial tree.

3. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Because we are told it is the purists expression of life magic.

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So because a seed core is the purest expression of Life Magic does that mean it can only create life trees???

Ricthers seed core was a Celestial magic tree not a life magic tree.

I would need to listen to it again but I am pretty sure it said that seedcores became what they need to be according to the Land itself.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If he plants the tree, then that one time event will create a massive amount of life energy. I do not know about any others. Maybe the next planting will, but not by one's created by the Dungeon.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  6. Anthav

Anthav Level 6 (Footpad) Exiles Citizen

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The problem with a seed core coming into Richter's dungeon is that it'd be absolutely broken since it'd be considered a resource.

The rebirth root is listed as a resource and Roswan can funnel dungeon points towards resources until they appear in the dungeon. So if a seed core is thrown in the well then they can keep funneling points towards it until more seed cores appear indefinitely. If Richter uses his last free room to make a big old botanical garden that will further increase the rebirth root and seed core spawn rates and give a localized area to hunt for them when they see it's % drop in the dungeon screen.

Considering how overpowered the quickening is having a bunch of magical trees of any type in and around the village would be a bit to much IMO. Kind of like if Richter were able to power level his skills with the magic core in his bag. Join it with a life spellbook for a casters chamber, remove the core then combine with a fire spell rinse and repeat and other things and he'd pretty much be a journeyman in numerous areas in no time. I think something like that could be avoided if the core lost all but one of its durability in making the building and regained a few points a day and couldn't be used til it was full durability again would be an adequate check and balance against that type of abuse, so it'd take years before it could be used to form another core building. To curb the potential abuse of the seed cores they could be considered a unique magical signature like Alma's venom and not able to be reproduced by the dungeon, but still lost down the well to remove the greed factor and give a lesson about considering the consequences of rushing into things(again hah) without asking. The fact the dungeon is now a potentially limitless source of rebirth roots because of the way it was written is at least curbed by the spell needing a lot of mana and a one hour limit to res someone.

Mister Bill likes this.
  7. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If it's not dropped down the well, but planted instead, then the Dungeon could reproduce it if it could and not if it can't. After all the thing could be alive but not a animal or beast.

8. Anthav

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True. I guess I figured if he was going to plant another seed core it'd be in the village proper and given to a pixie. Hadn't really thought about planting it in the dungeon.

Mister Bill likes this.
  9. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the chances drop back to the starting point after whatever they were trying to get actually drops

Mister Bill likes this.
  10. Anthav

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah that's kind of what I meant about them knowing one would be available to hunt down on the dungeon screen, nothing stopping another dump of points into another drop though.

11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nothing except diminishing returns on what has to be a hellaciously expensive resource to manage through the point system. There would be better uses for the points in growing both the dungeon capabilities and the empire than throwing points down the hole for maybe getting a seed core. Which they then have to pay for if they want a guarantee on the drop. Otherwise some other adventurer might get the drop. Powerful way to spawn them yes, but massively burdensome on the wallets.

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That goes back to the dungeon spawned or dungeon grown debate. If the dungeon spawns a seedcore due to it learning the trees magic and structure it would likely only begot one type of tree. If the seedcore was planted and a tree grown from a non spawned seedcore they should still have their natural randomness. Those naturally dropped seedcores retaining their natural randomness in my belief offer the same type boost and increased DP’s from the additional ambient mana flow as the original.

Here is Another question for you. If the failed Hearth Tree was removed stump trunk and all then dropped down the well when the dungeon learns its structure would that tree being dungeon spawned tree offer seed-cores?

I would be happy to see it respawned as a new tree or a resource.

13. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A seed core (and other cores) would almost certainly count as a unique item that can't be replicated by the Dungeon. Like Alma's poison.

A tree planted in the Dungeon wouldn't create more seed cores unless its a ht. It takes centuries for those to spawn a single seed core if I remember Sion right. They are rare to the point where they cripple sprite expansion, at least that's my reading.

If Richter wants many seed cores, he needs to figure out whether the pixies, claimed by the Land itself as caretakers of its forest, can speed up the production of seed cores at the HT and elsewhere.

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I rather like the idea that the dungeon couldn’t spawn a seed core. That doesn’t mean a Hearth Tree couldn’t bare its own fruit in the dungeon nor would that prevent it from having a seed core. What it should do is speed up its growth and increase it’s fertility.

Do Pixie queeens pair with sprites?

Do Sprites pair or commune with their tree?

Would either of them do the same with a Hearth Tree raised in the dungeon?

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And this starts the Dungeon pixie series

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its actually a good question. Why hasn't our current queen bonded or even mentioned the possibility? If she had one in the past that would explain it of course, but otherwise maybe queens simply don't have companions?

17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Im going with simple don't have companions. You could make a poll for it.

18. Anthav

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought she mentioned it in book 7 that she just hadn't felt her other half yet and they hadn't been born yet? The other thought I had was since it seems distance based, pixies getting agitated when their meidon gets near the borders of the mist and all that, that Elora's fated companion is a long way away and could take a long time before he nears her to be sensed?

I think her other half is gone though since "each pixie born is half of a sprites fate" so she was born and never met her other half before the plague that wiped pixie's out, and never went through sakeru because they didn't bond before she went into the chrysalis.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  19. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was mentioned, might take some searching, can't remember the wording

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m hopeful that if her companion hasn’t already come and gone that a Sand Sprite Chaos seed fits the bill.