Newcomer - Latetide

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Latetide, Jun 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi all

I've just got invited to the tribe last night, and I might say I am more than happy to join.
    About me: I am a father of three, (not too hardcore) gamer and a reader and an aspiring author with a love for LitRPG and lately, superhero books.
    Happy to be here, and AMA :)

Jack / @Latetide

2. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sup Latetide and welcome. Father of two, aspiring author here as well. Like you, I am not a hardcore gamer because of real life aspirations but if I can manage to making gaming a part of my "research" for writing and go full time writing, I wouldn't feel near as bad about spending more than 2 hours a year gaming. What all LitRPG have you read so far? Whats your favorite? Honorable mentions? Disappointments?

Jason and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Happy to give a list, but it will not be a full one :)
    - Yvvaros: Did not like this one, too simplictic
    - Shepherd * series (Omegaverse): Interesting ideas, but altogether not my style.
    - Play to Live series: This was pretty much my first one that introduced the idea of LitRPG for me. I like the story, but there are some series I like better than this one.
    - The Land series: I'd like to like this, but again, not my style. I really loved the game world of it, though
    - Phantom Server: I read this a while back, and as much as I recall, I loved this one.
    - Fimbulwinter, Portals of Infinity: Also read these, can't remember a thing about them
    - End Online series: This one I liked a lot. Not sure about the direction it goes in book 5, but a good read definitely.
    - Otherlife Dreams: The Selfless Hero Trilogy: Another one of those that I read, can barely recall, but it had an interesting concept about the world.
    - Death & Doris: This is a weird one, but I have good memories of it. :)
    - Project Daily Grind: Another one of those Russian/Ukranian ones I like.
    - The Way of the Shaman series: This is one of the top three I've ever read. Like the world, like the characters, like the style.
    - The Way of the Clan: Yet another Russian/Ukranian series with likeable characters and interesting game design. The protagonist is very likeable.
    - Caverns and Creatures: Not sure whether you would call this a LitRPG or not, but it's one of my guilty pleasures - D&D and a LOT of dad jokes.
    - Shadow Gambit: If I recall this one correctly, I liked it, and hoped it will be continued.
    - Awaken Online: Read this one, and can't recall a thing, even after reading the synopsis.
    - Chronicle of the Eternal: Another series from the author of End Online. Weird, but a good read.
    - The Feedback Loop: This one had a VERY unique world, and a nice dark gangster feel. Worth reading it.
    - Thousand Tales: This one was weird. I liked it, but not sure I'd read it again.
    - The Dive: Birth of a Wordsmith (and series): Very unique take on magic and levelling. Not fond of the angels/demons angle, but a great story nonetheless.
    - Delvers LLC: Yet another good read, even if the characters are somewhat flat imo.
    - Last Horizon: The series is good up till the last chapter, when it becomes a bit forced. Very mature, however, and definitely worth a read.
    - NPCs from Drew Haynes: Unique perspective :)
    - Sector Eight: Not so much a LitRPG, more of a great sci-fi book, but it really is great.

Looking through my book list, there are at least 10-15 more, just too lazy to list them all now :)

Edit: There is one I still want to call out though: Patch 17. The part until people get in game is a bit shallow, but afterwards there is a surprising depth of the characters.
    Another important one is the Dragon's Wrath series by Brent Roth, also in my top three favourites. The best one about sandbox MMOs I've read so far.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  4. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    (Should I talk about the book I am writing? you tell me)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Damn! I thought I was the only one who read Death and Doris.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And what do you think about it? :)

Seagrim and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome and enjoy!

Latetide and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Howdy! Enjoy the gold and torch smoke.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, how does one become
    Gold enjoyed, torch smoke inhaled, exhaled. Typing in progress.

10. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Death and Doris.

I liked it, I didn't like it. Still, would have liked to see more from the author. It had some interesting ideas, but in too many ways, neat things were thrown in with no real rhyme or reason for them to be there. I still like to sit and ponder some of its plot holes and try to fill them in with backstory.

It was really rough around the edges, but, I think with a good rewrite, filling out the characters into being more three dimensional and filling in a few of the plot holes it would become a very solid start. Too bad the author just vanished.

Paul Bellow and Latetide like this.
  11. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice list. I have one on my profile but I haven't gone as far as to list whether I like a book or not. I'm listening to Delvers LLC now and I love it. Awaken Online is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to The Land book 2. I'm trying out different books before I settle in for the series. Feeback Loop and Phantom Server are on my reading list.

Yes, do tell us about the book you are writing. :)

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  12. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    *** GLAD YOU ASKED :) ****

Yang, my main character, is a professional streamer, on the verge of burning out when he receives a friendly challenge from another streamer to play a game, and whoever gets further in a month, wins.
    What he doesn't know, though, is whose idea the challenge is, and why they want him to play...

The game world and VR technology are new, never read anywhere about anything similar. The book is mainly focusing on his adventures, and the underlying devilish plot is not so visible yet.

Currently I am writing Chapter 6 of 10. Just passed 80k words yesterday.

The working title is Fowl Play.

Ian Mitchell and Paul Bellow like this.
  13. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    80k in 10 chapters? Wow! Those are some long chapters! ;)

Jason likes this.
  14. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I guess in my book the scenes are similar to your chapters. I have 5-10 of them in each chapter.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I use smaller chapters to go after what James Patterson calls "potato chip chapters..." they're so short that people keep turning pages and reading. ;)

To each their own, tho!

16. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My chapters are usually about a bigger theme ("Entering the lost city") while the scenes are the changes, like a battle scene, sometimes with a cliffhanger. ("Right into the middle of 3 mummies")
    So I think it's a good guess that it's a similar structure to yours. :)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I do that in acts usually - three acts in the novel with a 25% / 50% / 25% split.

Hope readers don't mind me explaining how the sausage is made! ;)

18. WildAzazel

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you taken Patterson's master course? I need to get back to it. My wife got it for me as an early Christmas present... right before our house burned and I have never gotten back to it. I was about 3 lessons in. Planning to start it back soon. I figure a 1 yr and half... it's had time to marinate.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not yet. Lemme know if it's any good. I imagine that man has it down by now.

WildAzazel likes this.
  20. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome!

Paul Bellow likes this.