Nickelback

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Yuli Ban, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Am I the only person on Earth who genuinely doesn't like Nickelback without resorting to bandwagoning?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna pull that wagon after latching it through the skin on my back, but it feels like most people just hate Nickelback because it's the cool thing to do and not just because they're the most pedestrian and unexciting rock group imaginable. Like KISS but without the facepaint or riffs or undeserved metal cred but with a thousand times as many middle-aged Christian Facebook moms unironically geeking out over them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Jay, Seagrim and Alexis Keane like this.
  2. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That David Grohl comment got me... I'm dying...

3. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wait, Nickelback has more songs than Rockstar? Really?!?

Jay likes this.
  4. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haha, but they do though. They had the most played song in the 2000s: Smells Like Teen Spirit.
    [​IMG]

5. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    See, you can't fool me. Smells like teen spirit was Weird Al.

And Kurt Cobain coauthored The Hardy Boys with Hunter Thompson. And Hunter Thompson is in the picture. Or is that John Holmes?

Hard to tell from the waist up.

Viergacht likes this.
  6. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If it's not They Might Be Giants, it's crap! Or maybe Enya too.. Personally I couldn't name a nickleback song, and I hosted karaoke for 6 years. Their album art seems thought provoking, though.

CheshirePhoenix and Viergacht like this.
  7. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Awwwwww

NSFW

8. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah all I know about the band is that people hate them, they're so far outside the realm of what I listen to. I guess everything needs a punching bag, so Nickleback is to music what Twilight is to literature, horrible in every way but inexplicably popular?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Says a lot about society? Heh. They cancel so many good shows/projects.

Viergacht likes this.
  10. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

Viergacht likes this.
  11. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nickelback has some nice songs. Okay, maybe one or two. I don't know why people hate them so much. In the age of social media hating someone or some group just seems to be more prevalent. There is so much evil in the world, why waste energy hating a band?

If we have to hate some group, I think it should be liches. Really, can anyone say anything good about liches? I didn't think so.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  12. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe not liches, but certainly lichen.

I had a pet lichen once. It decomposed on me, though.

13. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually don't hate Nickelback. I like a few of their songs and am neutral on the rest. I just thought the meme was pretty funny.:p

14. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that's the thing people hate the most about them. They have catchy songs. But they're just so aggressively mediocre. If you consider post-Invasion rock to be the stuff from 1964 to 1991 and Alternative Rock to be dominant since '91, what post-Invasion band achieved any of the same level of derision as Nickelback? Creed too, though I always thought they were slightly better.

The only one I can think of is KISS, and they've been saved by history because they had such a cool aesthetic, despite having an otherwise boring sound that was completely derivative of pop rock. You could also consider AC/DC, but again, people like AC/DC because even though their songs sound the same (seriously, you could switch around the release of Black Ice and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and the only thing that would tell you something's different is production values) they are still played with raw rock and roll bravado and machismo. Pure bogan music and proud of itself.
    Nickelback doesn't really have that. They're not even as oversexed up as their own promoted ripoffs, Theory of a Deadman. They're really a guitar group (I think?) that makes songs for the radio and only for the radio.

I actually found this video that did a decent job explaining what was wrong with Nickelback (though veering hard into defener territory).

Jay likes this.
  15. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like a few Nickelback songs. They aren’t a BAD band, but they aren’t a GOOD one either.

Problem is, they just sound like their songs are all run through focus groups at every step of the way and written by committee while the lead singer doesn’t have the spark of individuality that they need to truly stand out. And the rest of the band is pretty much on par with studio musicians.

It’s just mediocre in every sense of the word. They’re the rock band equivalent of pre-canned pop songs written by algorithm.

Seagrim, Yuli Ban and Jay like this.
  16. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dammit! Forgot all about this thread. When I search google images for the title of my book, I get my book covers, and like eight nickelback pictures and I had no frickin idea why.

Yuli Ban and Paul Bellow like this.
  17. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]