Nonhuman caravan

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Big mama is making her way to the village along with a few other chaos seeds. What do you guys expect to see, other than the elven librarian (basically confirms Richter will build a core library, this entire family is made up of convenient people XD) and big mama herself? I expect

1) Rat the goblin. 90% chance he is a chaos seed. Also it seemed like a pretty big clue that they found him wandering around aimlessly, thats what I expect quite a few chaos seeds are doing.
    2) Between 200 and 500 new citizens.
    3) A bunch of other nonhumans, few if any of whom have professions - I doubt even mama can get to the really valuable nonhumans, crafting professionals are worth a lot of money. Might be a dozen or so that have sufficiently advanced skills but haven't had the time yet.
    4) A dozen or two (might be more) chaosseed nonhumans that spawned within the borders of Yves. The relatively benign - compared to the goblins and gnolls - and internally stable kingdom would be one of the places with a high survival rate, so I think quite a few chaos seeds could have made it to a village, town or city within the kingdom and from there onwards to Law (at least in some cases, going to the biggest city around is one way of finding other chaos seeds or information). That said, nonhuman chaos seeds would likely want to go somewhere where they would not be second class citizens, making them prime recruiting material for Mama. No family and no possesions keeping them in Yves either.
    5) Bad news. I expect some kind of crackdown on the nonhuman community to have taken place, to appease the count and the other holders without the expense of a military campaign out in the middle of nowhere.

Andrew Lynas and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Johan

Johan Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am split on the idea of chaos Seeds traveling with Mama. She is Very strict about who she trusts to bring with her. It depends on how quickly earthlings were able to build relationships points with her. Completing enough quests for Mama in particular specifically will give us a rare individual, let alone finding mama ma that big ole city to get a quest from her.

I agree this will be the top end nonhuman crafters and their families. They are the people with (prior) influence to make this caravan happen. Unskilled labour...there should be a much larger group of them as a mass exeduce.

As for Roswan's ex-wife, Roswan will be able to smell the brimstone coming off her, and stay inside the Dungeon where she can't venture.

3. Dragon

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This will be the best Richter gets, not the topend of nonhuman crafters. The more valuable, the tighter the watch and the riskier it is to try to get them out.

The majority of unskilled workers would have already been expelled from the kingdom, the crafters were the ones that they held onto. There are plenty of humans to do grunt labor.

Finding Mama isn't that difficult, there is a nonhuman quarter if I remember it right, where any wandering nonhuman would be "guided" to. Since Mama organizes the workers, they'd almost certainly end up facing her or her people if they want work within the city.

4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

26%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A core library, then the skill boost is auto relegated to research, and he can choose the technocrat specialty where all his new skill levels in research will be passively added to the research potential of the village, possibly even passively leveling the skill for him constantly...

Hey a guy can dream.

Joe Schmoe and Johan like this.
  5. Johan

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They might be able to find her if they know who they are looking for, but she is one of many contactors, and requires papers. She deals with lots of human laborers too, so I'm thinking she will be bringing people she knows and trusts. Which should not be new earthling, unless I miss my guess. we are weird compared to the local norm, and don't have a backstory that can be verified.

6. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

64%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anyone else thinking AK is going full parks and rec with this librarian? [​IMG]

Johan likes this.
  7. Johan

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Completely.
    • Leslie Gnome
    • Roswan
    • Tammitu

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  8. SnackBarbarian

SnackBarbarian Level 7 (Cutpurse) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let’s get em all and spec them with races and classes
    Tamitu:librarian (can’t remember if her race was mentioned I’m guessing elf?)
    Andy: bard/fighter-race human or maybe half orc(
    April: (name one of the months in the land) mage/tamer of some kind-half elf
    Anne:life mage sprite or elf
    Tom:human merchant and half tavern owner with Donna(it’ll be called the SnakePit 2
    Ben:accountant-gnome
    Chris:diplomat- human or half elf(high Charisma and athletics)
    Jerry:no profession, old man
    Donna: tavern owner with tom- has a delux carriage.
    Lil Sebastian: Bastion: mini horse

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Johan and Joe Schmoe like this.
  9. Hastur

Hastur Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Rat could easily be a chaos seed. Wasn't it mentioned in the book how unusual it was for a goblin to be a cook?

10. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

26%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also looking like he didn't know what the hell was going on, characteristic of those who don't speak the language

11. Johan

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Rat, the one redeeming goblin of the race. If he is a earthling, the whole goblin race is evil (Mielikki was right).

12. Dragon

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Basically he showed up randomly within a city in Yves - sounds like something most goblins would avoid - lacks even basic language skills which we know the goblins have and he knows how to cook food that humans enjoy rather than whatever creepy shit goblins eat. Yeah there are some fairly heavy clues.

Joe Schmoe and Johan like this.
  13. Dragon

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    All we know is that a few tribes are irredeemably evil, namely those around the Azergoth swamps and the Ashstalkers. Even within those factions, we know off at least one goblin who loved something other than himself, namely the druid with the giant cat.Sure, he was an enemy, but he wasn't a monster unlike most other goblins.

14. Johan

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "His newest slave, a young elf girl, had just been broken! True, he had had to feed one of her sons to the lonelath maggots, but that was just foreplay! Sin-ak had yet to meet a slave that wouldn’t break when faced with the days-long death caused by foot-long maggots burrowing through their body… or the body of their remaining son. The goblin snorted in disgust; he had only been able to enjoy her sobbing body once before he had left home. It was infuriating!
    Sin-ak began an incantation, conjuring the spell form into his mind. At the same time, his left hand formed the arcane gesture for the magic. With a gleefully brutal twist to his lips, the Mage finished his spell. Black energy had been building on his hand over the three second casting. It had been just enough time for the scout to see that she was being targeted. The small goblin tried to run, but got nowhere near the outer range of Sin-ak’s spell, Minor Festering Boils. The scout’s skin began to bubble and pop. Each boil that rose and burst took away one to two health, and there were dozens of boils. Sin-ak’s adept rank in Dark magic increased his spell strength by 35%. Coupled with his high Intelligence attribute, the goblin scout never had a chance.
    The scout continued to scream until the boils began to form on the inside of her throat. The sounds coming from the goblin woman changed into a sickeningly wet burbling. The Witch Doctor’s necklace began to vibrate as the enslaved souls within detected the sweet scent of imminent death. Sin-ak stroked the necklace lovingly. As horrible a death as the Mage had just inflicted on the scout, it was a kindness compared to the spiritual torments he had subjected his enslaved souls to. Each had been brutalized and violated until the personalities they had once possessed had become so warped that no goodness remained.
    Feeling like an indulgent father, Si-nak opened the cage doors that kept the spirits bound within his necklace. None of them could stray far from the necklace. Neither could they harm the wearer, so the Witch Doctor had nothing to fear. The tortured goblin had no such protections. All three malevolent spirits began to claw and scratch at the scout, hastening its end. Only a few seconds later, she shuddered a final time and died. It was only then that the scout knew true horror. No longer bound by flesh, the goblin’s soul began to depart from the mortal plane, but it never made it. The Witch Doctor’s spirits began to feast. The goblin’s soul was torn apart as it screamed silently. Each enslaved spirit grabbed chunks of soul stuff and shoved it into their greedy maws. The soul tried to escape, but its struggles were useless. The scout’s soul was not the first that had been sacrificed to feed and grow the Witch Doctor’s slave spirits. Soon, all that was left of the once-living creature was a pockmarked carcass. Nothing remained of her soul." Bk6

15. Dragon

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are mixing up the shaman and the druid. They are two distinct characters only one of whom are evil.

The druid we see during the final battle, with his battlepet a giant cat. The loss of it causes him a moment of weakness, which was all the bloodstone needed to seize control. He later thanks Richter for killing/stopping him, if I remember that part right.

16. Johan

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gah, that's what I get for posting and drinking.

That shaman...wtf. but he reminded me about a vassal idea, tangent to an appropriate thread.

Joe Schmoe, ShoughtLoud and Dragon like this.
  17. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

22%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A better example for your idea would be the Ghost of the Kendir King.

Johan likes this.
  18. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am sure Mama made preparations to leave with those close to her. Those that she knows or knows of will be the core of immigrants traveling with her. There is no doubt in my mind that many others that know of her will cast their lots with her. As she moves through Yves many nonhumans and perhaps a few humans will rush along to join her. More will likely pursue her caravan straggling along trying to find their way.

Mamas core group will be highly trained, skilled, professional types. Many of them will have their families and a few will be single. The majority of those will be skilled and highly trained. Of the labor force she brings I would be shocked if 10% were professionals.

I still believe that Rat the Goblin cook is very young. If he is a chaos seed I can’t see him being anything over a 12 year old. His fear and lack of reaction speaks more to me than anything else you have suggested. I believe anyone else would have reacted differently. If any chaos seeds join the caravan I would imagine them tagging along more then traveling with mama.

19. Johan

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder if Rat's pallette also thinks the taste of children and babes is delectable?

20. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Goblins big mouth probably does offer them more tastebuds then smaller mouthed races. A big mouth like that would lend the ability to consume larger bites. Babies could be used as sliders with a mouth that big.