WIP Noob Aspiring Aspiring Author WIP

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by VRRanger, Aug 11, 2017.

1. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Work not yet titled.
    Hi, I am going to use this thread to
    • publish a general summary of what I am working towards (always looking for feedback)
    • Maybe some of the roadblocks I am having in case someone wants to offer advice
    • Snippets in order to get feedback
    • Page counts to get my daily gold
    We will see how my journey progresses.

I hope for your support and thank you in advance for any feedback!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Work for the day....
    • Forum is fun and motivating, can also be distracting and cause procrastination. More the positive though definately
    • My family was nice enough to let me be in my own world today, and I accomplished quite a bit
    • @Paul Bellow total word count for day is 3,115 for a grand total of 4,165! A new record for me!
    • Can you recommend best ways to get cheap covers, I am not a designer :)

3. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have a friend who is a designer.

Go on deviant art forums and post that you are looking for an ebook cover, what you have in mind, and your budget.
    Find book covers you like, find the artists who did them, get their prices.
    Buy an existing piece of art and the rights to use it, put words on it.

Tom Gallier and VRRanger like this.
  4. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Everything looks well thought out and intriguing. You have our support!

Paul Bellow and VRRanger like this.
  5. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you guys

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds interesting, is this a "Hero" summoning thing or just bored gods sitting around and suddenly saying, "Hey, we should summon more people to confuse from one of those no magic dimensions."

Keep up the word count! I tried that but then zero days interrupted and I gave up.

VRRanger and Felicity Weiss like this.
  7. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have an idea\

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Matthew James likes this.
  8. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Religion tends to do that, having gods stick around to keep messing with their definitive edicts seems like a hassle, maybe just do an Irish goodbye with some class and let the mortals muddle through.

9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    • @Paul Bellow total word count for day is 3,115 for a grand total of 4,165! A new record for me!
    Have some gold!

VRRanger likes this.
  10. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One of my favourite series has a hero summoned from our world. The summoner made a contract with the fairies to bring him a "child of Destiny." They bring him a 16 year old earth girl whose mother is called Destiny.

11. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also used in Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger...Clothahump the mage knows the Plated Folk are using magic stolen from our world for their next attack, he does a summoning to get an engineer, our world's version of a wizard.

He gets Jonathan Thomas Meriweather, who was heavily stoned, making him easier to summon, and was a law student working his way through school as a janitor, job title "Sanitation Engineer".

12. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's awesome, I remember that series :)

13. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's a game on ps4 that was rumoured to have permadeath after a certain number if deaths, and deletion of save files, but it turned out to be untrue. However, it certainly is possible to do right.
    The risk is how you let the characters know. You could just tell them of course, but that would be the least best way to do it.

Personally I think it would be cool if they started off fearing death. If death seemed as real to them as it does to us. Then someone heroically sacrifices himself so the others can live.

It kinda robs the sacrifice of a bit of it's impact when he comes back, but you then have another character, the comic relief character, who thinks it is funny to die in stupid comical ways. Until he dies in the worst, funniest, stupidest way possible and never comes back and suddenly they have to deal with the fact that death is eventually permanent, but none of them can remember how many times he died.

So you have them saddened by his death, guilty because they laughed at his death, embarrassed to tell others how he died, and worried about how many lives they have left, and fighting over how many times he died...

Well, that's how I'd do it. I'm sure you have your own ideas. But yeah it can definitely work.

14. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dungeons and Dragons had something like that, but, most people dropped or didn't remember the rule. The PC can be resurrected the number of times of their unmodified constitution ability stat. So, what you can do is set an arbitrary number that was generated when they were summoned and that is the number of times. Which would work well in a game, but, since this is a portal world, as a suggestion. The back story could be, they resurrect because of their connection with their old world. The people there still remember them, they long to go home and that keeps them from being able to really pass into death. As time passes, people slowly accept back home that they're gone, they accept that where they are is where they will stay, at that point, they don't have the needed mana power to pull away from death and pass on.

As a suggestion, the noble sacrifice could always come back with a scar...could pull the old Odin bit and have them come back with a missing eye and maybe a scar on their face. That way, even coming back, they still had to pay a price, just not as permanent a one as they thought, but still, a reminder that even a get out of death card might still have a price to be paid.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  15. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The less you sacrifice, the less you're sacrifice. Scars are good, so long as the missing eye lowers their chances of success in a wide range of abilities. Bonus points if they were an archer or needed their depth perception. If the sacrifice changes who they thought of they were, at their core, then that may be as good as a death. Better, if you ask me, because now I can watch the death mean something to the person it happened to. And I can watch a rebirth, as well.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  16. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great feedback. I had been toying with letting them know or not. A benefit to letting them know might be their willingness to put themselves in danger. But that does make it a bit forced and more than a bit of a cop out as far as character motivation . There are better ways to get them engaged in quests and actions that will put them in danger. I like the thoughts on using this to really add a lot of depth and feeling to the character. Tied to a stat is something to consider. As they get more engaged in the world it will be harder for them to pull away back to earth. Nice setup with the party dynamics @Larakel!

Zombiebreath and Paul Bellow like this.
  17. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I loved Nethack and other roguelikes because they were permadeath, BUT you could run into a semi-powerful ghost of that character (and their items) with a new character. BONES files for the win! Heh.

Zombiebreath likes this.
  18. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Has anyone considered doing a death system like dont starve for any who dont know the exact mechanic is you can find in the world toutch stones that bring you back to life with less sanity(not max sanity just temporary sanity) and then break forceing you to collect your items and find a new one if you want to live.

Basically rather then number of deaths or anything a limited number of extremely rare items (that perhaps could be used for something else?) perhaps forcing a feeling of slowly running out and allowing you to add rewards that do little for character power but allow them to come back.

19. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Progress Report 8/16-8/24:
    • No actual word count, been working out of notebooks the last few days.
    • Geography detail of starting location
    • history and motivations of kingdom
    • Game mechanics
    • Magic mechanics
    • List of main and supporting characters, motivations
    • Detailed chapter outline
    • Detail on quests, encounters, loot, skills gained
    • additional detail on crafting

Zombiebreath and Paul Bellow like this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great job! Keep it up. Can't wait to see more.

ETA: Start the blurb early! ;)

Zombiebreath likes this.