Open Call for Beta Readers

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Paul Bellow, May 25, 2017.

1. PJC

PJC Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

57%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi All.
    Once again, I am bogging down with my work in progress. I'm still developing as a writer, so I'm working really hard to get the story right. By 'right' I mean something that satisfies the reader. Basically, I'm too close to the story right now and can't see it as a bigger unit.

I'm looking for beta readers to check out the first 2-4 chapters and give me their unfiltered feedback. I'm totally down with the "rules" of beta reading as stated above. This is our chance to really dig deep, for me as a writer and you as readers.

Please PM me to arrange getting the first few chapters.

Thanks, LitRPG Forums!

EDIT: P.S. The WIP I'm talking about is book 3 of Realm of the Nine Circles.

Laendrea and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Jason likes this.
  3. Nyarlanotep

Nyarlanotep Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Central Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Greetings Brave Beta Readers!

I have a work in progress, which needs some beta reading! If anyone would be willing to do a once over I would be shockingly grateful! I do live in Africa and might even be able to swing some cool swag from here if you help me out....who doesn't like a dagger or hand carved lion from Cameroon?

If you're up for the quest, leave me a scroll and I will respond post haste in whatever format best suites you.

Paul Bellow and Jason like this.
  4. Nyarlanotep

54%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Central Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  6. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    After the 21st (regardless of whether or not I hit my self made deadline) I'd be willing to give it a go over. In the future if you include page/word length, and some details, people might be more likely to jump in. If its a long one, perhaps break it down by beats and do what Paul did and post individual chapters or snippets on Royal Road. The only beta read I've done so far was 80-120 pages, and even that felt long because I had to stop and make notes while they were fresh.

Good luck! If you're still looking for readers after the 21st I'll toss you a message.

7. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've seen some folk willing to beta over on our Goodreads group as well. Worth checking out!

8. Nyarlanotep

54%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Central Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good advice on the page/word length ideas, didn't actually think about that. Not sure how I'll go about this really so let me consider and I'll hit you up after the 21st if I have a better idea about what I need. I can't expect someone to slog through 110,000 words.

9. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    An updated version of the video I linked!

VRRanger and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They will slog and they will enjoy it, or the beatings will continue....
    errr..... I mean you might have a point?

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  11. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have picked up another half-dozen or so beta readers myself over the last week. I don't go looking for them, they just ask me. I figure if they ask they like the books enough to take the time and do it right.

VRRanger and Felicity Weiss like this.
  12. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And here I am using all my mental powers to will D. Wolfin's return to the internetz so I can force my way into his beta readership. The first LitRPG author I take a fancy to happens to be a depressed recluse. Just my luck.

VRRanger likes this.
  13. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am not, you take that back!
    Oh wait you meant him, yeah, okay then never mind.

Kidlike101, Daigon and Felicity Weiss like this.
  14. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  15. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I beta read a book once and only once.... it was fun but I think a blew a fuse as my OCD kicked in trying to correct every typo and cont. error

Not sure if I want to do that again, the author reply wasn't encouraging...

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  16. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    An author should have encouraged that, I would have.

17. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I was nervous telling someone what I thought of their work. I'm nervous when the book is perfect let alone pointing out errors. Made me feel like the bad guy (and not in a good way!!!)

The odd thing was he wanted beta readers a year after the book was published, I thought you got them before publication incase you needed to change anything or wrote something offense unintentionally...

DJ Schinhofen likes this.
  18. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wait a minute....
    Do not get gun shy because of one butthead. Authors have to understand what beta reading means, and they have to learn to take it well. The only way they grow is through honesty from people like you. Even if they disagree, they should consider what the beta readers have said and try to see it from their perspective.

19. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I mean I know there will trolls and all. part of the package but I think most would give an honest opinion, these are people that read for the fun of it after all.

I don't know, might not do it again unless I really like the series. wouldn't mind helping then ^^

Speaking of which, James get of the internet and back to writing!

20. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Need your laughter fix eh? Full laughter denial hurts the bladder don't you know. I'm recharging my writing batteries, focusing on another story so I can get the jokes flowing for OW3. I mean mutated goats needs my fully refreshed and recharged brain, because there is so much I can do with that haha. I am thinking of parodying every cool movie ever known with goats... Jurassic Park... Yup, goats that hunt in three and are extremely smart, like raptors. Freddy Kreuger goats... could happen. Big gorilla goat called Kong, sure. Snakes on a Plane? Uh... no, not going to happen, however a Samuel L. Jackson goat could be funny.

You can call me Gabe if you want, generally only use my first name professionally haha. Blame my parents for that gem.