Other Chaos Seeds

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by S'ahelas, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    End of 8 beginning of 9.

2. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you randomly put let's say 300 million people into The Land, then you would get 1 person per 80 square miles, which is about the size of Richtær's domain. For those people to find each a population center and not die over and over I would put at 0.1%. then to meet another person they know, also rare again depending on the population center size. I would think most would also be killed or enslaved when they get to one. For them to kill each other instead of helping is weird, but they did. So of my 0.1% population 100% have killed another chaos seed. But because He-man got so many people in such a small area (probably the size of Richtær's domain if not smaller) it might be much closer to 1 billion people I suppose, which were all captured and enslaved (with or without He-man's help).

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter's domain is more than 300 square miles. So 4-5 people within that area going by 80 square miles per person, assuming the imp told Richter the truth about people being placed totally randomly, including in places where they were instantly killed(unlikely IMHO). 7500 within the forest of Nadria, which is 600.000 square miles.

All of whom will be looking for settlements, trails, landmarks, and other people, something they have multiple lives to find. Pretty good odds that several thousand will eventually make their way somewhere or get picked up by locals. We know the goblins picked up quite a few free slaves that way. Probably by a combination of patrols, hunters and raiding bands. I think we can safely assume that all the woodland tribes have both hunters and patrols as well, considering they are being invaded. Would they have tracking beasts to help them? I know i'd bring something with a good nose if I was on patrol or out hunting, but we haven't really seen the woodsprites use anything of the sort, so they probably have other skills and abilities to help them track down intruders. They certainly found Richter pretty quickly.

My guess:
    Most of the new chaos seeds will stumble around in the wilderness for a while (likely shouting for help, though that's fairly shortranged in the forest) until they attract attention or find something. Humans and presumably other races can survive for a long time on their own in the wild if they are careful, and with multiple lives they can afford to make some deadly mistakes to learn caution from. Plus with their own corpse lying there they have a source of sustenance and bones for simple weaponry. Gruesome, but not as bad as starvation or dying from thirst. They'll only make that mistake once.

The survival rates will be much higher in civilised regions such as Yves - you might get a beating as a nonhuman, but you are unlikely to die - and worse in places like the Azergoth swamps or the catacombs.

Some of them will get damaged by this, and may in turn choose power at any cost. Most won't.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The 0.1 death statistic may not include those Permanently Kill by Non-Chaos Seed means, e.g. diseases, acts of nature, accidents, monsters, aggressive humanoids, stupidity, ignorance, bad luck, ect.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The 0.1% death statistic was about how many chaos seeds have killed another chaos seed :)

I'm not trying to make an argument that no one has died the final death, but rather that they actually have a pretty good chance of making it on average. Even if they make serious mistakes or have a bad encounter, they have several lives in which to figure out the basics of survival in the land. Barring instadeath from spawning in a volcano or underwater, unlikely imho to be a thing no matter what the imp says - after all he has a vested interest in upselling the service he has delivered to Richter.

Of course, some people will just be plain unlucky, but on the other hand monsters are unlikely to camp a spot for several weeks waiting for them to respawn.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Andrew Lynas likes this.
  6. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought so.

7. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Damn! Just... Damn!

Does this take into account the fact that the land is significantly larger than Earth?

The land itself has some pretty severe ways of enforcing contracts and oaths. I suspect that any chaos seeds will either end up dead or as his chaos vassals. I imagine that Richter may require a blood oath as well before he trusts them.

8. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    in 2042-ish it makes seance that Earths population would be ~10 billion, so 1/10 of that playing a mmorpg is plausible.. though all of them going into the land.. hmmm
    Also you calculus is excluding cause chaos, Heman might just have been lucky.
    Also not sure if most of the humans would spawn in the ocean and drown instantly!?
    so if we look only at land mass which would be ~30% like on Earth... then more will spawn in some areas.. also its random.. still 15 is way too much.

9. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was everyone who signed a document. Near the end they just took everyone they could. You sign for your mail without reading the terms and conditions? Laughed at that funny little joke disneyflix started putting in their contracts after they got new leadership? Off to the land you go, you said you wanted to. The courts were not picky, they snatched people off the streets by the millions and they did so for decades. Every soul could be the one that tipped the balance in their favor.

So 300 million chaos seeds is lowballing it. A billion is probably about right, for the first wave. Of course, the chaos lords have said that the door between the land and the earth can never be closed, so thats something. Noticeably they do not in any way imply this is connected to the labyrinth, so its plausible that anyone who says "take me to the land cunts of the court" or in some other way activate the door between worlds gets to go.

As for the instant death thing, why would the lords of chaos place the chaos seed in the ocean, that doesn't serve any purpose after they just invested in an upgrade for their beloved children. Besides the lords of chaos could have their own plans, "we are all innocent Richter, we only want what's best for everyone. That's why we've set up a giant murdergame to help limit the amount of death and destruction..." as logically valid an explanation as it is, may not be the entire truth.

11. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would assume that disappearance of hundreds of millions would be questioned.. Unless the entire billion was harvested instantly.
    Unless the disappearance would take place bit by bit within say 5 years?
    I mean who would play the game when like 500 million playing it have died? or stuck in it?
    at some point plp will notice this. or the gov will

even a billion in the land, in its brutal reality, with limited skills, harsh environment..
    I'd say mortality rate should be very high.. and I'm talking about final mortality rate(f.e. you will be born underground in the nest of eaters.. and they will not move or whatever..It's not like we have safe zones)
    If only 0.1% survive the initial surroundings multiple times still we will have 1'000'000 plp who know this is not a game..
    Probably we should be questioning how many actually are living in the land. We transporter 1 bln, how many are left?
    I'd bet on 3% which is 30 mil. What ur take? Oh my devious Optimists.

12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "Apparently, where most of you will land is random. Some of you might be in towns or cities, some in forests or mountains, and some will probably be dead on arrival because they fell into oceans and drowned."

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Founding: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 1) . Aleron Kong. Kindle Edition.

only the select for chosen like Richter get to go to non-random places.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If we trust a demon with a clear interest in upselling all the things he did for Richter, yes. I still think the idea of them dying on arrival is suspect, i'm not disputing the fact that there is a random element nor am I saying that all spawning places are safe. But there is a difference between spawning below ground in a monsterinfested area and spawning in outer space/ inside the stomach of a monster/ landdweller half a mile underwater / mermaid in the middle of the dessert and other 100% certain death scenarios that cannot be beaten.

14. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean you could spawn on top of mountain Everest and without any equipment ur done..
    anyhow I think this might have been the idea of the Gods of Chaos..
    If dark court import units, Chaos Lords can "remove" them

15. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Lords of Chaos want chaos seeds to be killed by other Chaos seeds whenever possible to prevent their raw chaos from entering the land, I believe.

Once the courts had the ability to abduct people who weren't playing the game, they could have inserted the stupid agreement into the apple terms and conditions in order to maximize their reach.

16. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe that they still could only Abduct those who agreed with the Terms and Conditions of the Land Game, but that they had gotten to the point that they no longer needed to have the Players agree to be Transitioned to The Land actual. So they could snatch anyone who was Playing the Game but not anyone who wasn't.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The important part was the contract. Words matter in the land, not having read the contract isn't an excuse.

Its actually similar in the real world if there is a reasonable expectation that you'd understand what you signed and it isn't hidden in some way - which it isn't, its right in the terms and conditions. You might win in court, but the court in this question diden't intervene for the first several decades.

18. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What about an ability that copies the abilities of those around you? (say 25 yards to start, maybe able to progress the ability like Richter's feel of chaos)

19. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They would probably only be working with a lvl 1 spell. Though that begs the question, can they gain spells from books if they can't read it? Probably, because most people are illiterate, but maybe that is a reason why there are so few mages. There was that one dude selling books where you need to "earn the magic".

20. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Initiate at most or at least?