Overlord

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Readsalot, May 13, 2017.

1. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Approval Rating 80%. I rated it 9/10.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/29803/Overlord

"The final hour of the popular virtual reality game Yggdrasil has come. However, Momonga, a powerful wizard and master of the dark guild Ainz Ooal Gown, decides to spend his last few moments in the game as the servers begin to shut down. To his surprise, despite the clock having struck midnight, Momonga is still fully conscious as his character and, moreover, the non-player characters appear to have developed personalities of their own..."

Ah, this is a personal favourite of mine. Quite simply, I love Overlord. There are a few scenes I have seen over and over again, as I sit and chuckle gleefully.

This is Momonga. Friendly little guy, isn't h...

[​IMG]

No. No, he's not. He is a bad-ass. A serious, certifiable bad-ass, with an army of the undead, his own castle and some of the most powerful magical artifacts in the entire realm. You know what he is? He's a freaking monster. And he's AWESOME.

She thinks so too. Her name is Albedo. She has a thing for him. It's kind of his fault, but he's learning to live with it.

[​IMG]

Why do I love Overlord? Because I have a thing for bad-asses. I like guys (or girls) who can walk into a room, smirk, and then smack the crap out of everybody. I hate bullies, and mean people, and cruel people - and I like it when somebody shows up to teach them that hurting people is BAD. Preferably by smacking the crap out of them.

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Skelator's Uncle! ;)

Love the ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Readsalot likes this.
  3. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like Overlord.

Overlord and One Punch Man are some of the few ones that can do the overpowered protagonist well. Most just fall short of the mark.

Readsalot likes this.
  4. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Read the manga, but i feel like it would be even better in anime. Will take a look

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    YES!

"The Overlord anime is set to come back with a brand new season next year!

The news dropped on the Animate store’s official Twitter account, featuring the cover of the upcoming 12 volume of Kugane Maruyama’s Overlord novel series. However, the wraparound jacket band announced the date which the new anime season drops, January 2018 to be exact. Madhouse will also be back to anime the series, with the previous 13 episode season was debut in July 2015."

http://thehypedgeek.com/overlords-second-season-hits-january-next-year/

6. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    yay! I love that show, cruelty unlimited :D

CheshirePhoenix and Readsalot like this.
  7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, it got announced on twitter a couple months ago too.

I'm looking forward to it and I sincerely hope it's also part of the funi-crunchy merger deal. I've noticed a few things from funi's library that didn't end up on CR (RIP Heavy Object, you are gone too soon!) but since I don't ever watch dubbed anime I'm not going to sub to funi again unless I absolutely cannot miss something that's only being made legitimately available there and nowhere else.

Overlord would fit the bill, but I'm honestly just considering VRV as an alternative, since it's a one stop shop for pretty much everything. Kinda like an a la carte version of Hulu, but focused on anime and geek culture.

I digress though. YAY OVERLORD! It's pretty surprising, since Madhouse generally tends to only do one season shows. Pretty sure that as a small shop, it's because they either can't afford or don't want to pay an increase for a license extension from the author/manga-ka to do second seasons. And since it's a small shop they also don't tend to do OVAs, either.

8. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I watched the first 2 eps of this last night. Like it so far! =)

Readsalot likes this.
  9. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I heard about the Overlord season 2. It's a good show that does the Overpowered Main Character well. Too many times that trope just falls apart. Here, it works.

10. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it's because he sends underlings to do things instead of just snapping his fingers and wrecking everything. His underlings are powerful, sure, but they're on par with the challenges they're sent to face.

He only really had to step in once as himself (instead of his weaker swordsman form), and that was to deal with the mind controlled minion. I hope they stick with that theme for season two, but I doubt that'll happen - I hope he at least rotates his minions so we get to meet them all.

DJ Schinhofen likes this.
  11. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Second two should be the lizard man arc, if that's right it will follow the lizard people with Cocytus being the one who does most of the stuff there. With the rest of them stepping in at the end of the arc. I hope it also expands into the arc that follows Sebas Tian on his mission as well.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  12. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don't know. I had been reading the manga but it's on a hold-up after announcing Season 2. Also, the character has a pun name...He's a butler, named Sebas Tian. Japanese are hardcore pun lovers.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  13. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finishedddddddddd the anime last night. SO GEWD.

14. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "Really?", he said. With a half-smile and a slight gleam of red in the eyes...

"Light Novel?"

http://a.co/8NasOMa

15. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    hah, too expensive.

16. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  17. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Am I a pirate? Because I found the oddest ship!
    [​IMG]

18. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    At least you have him shipping with the girl of the twins.

19. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This season is definitely much better than season 2 so far. Let's hope it ends up being as good as season 1!

20. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think they’ll top season one, ever. I really like Ains, and so far the other characters are just kinda “meh” for me. It’s still great though, even with the unnecessary CGI.

Readsalot likes this.