Pathfinder: Kingmaker hits $500k goal at Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul Bellow, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Apollos likes this.
  2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

This has "Shards" written all over it, create a personal kingdom after learning what characters need, and soon players are sharing kingdoms with unique "host" features on a battlenet style network where "legit" is heard a lot. I fully approve if this is a trojan horse for such a game to test the waters and save the Pathfinder IP face if its a let down. I had absolutely zero desire to play D3, but Torchlight 1 and 2 were a blast for me, and I never even completed half of those games. At least I don't think I did.

Create a solo "group" based kingdom from the ground up where players focus on what helps their team the most, and then you can drop in a single player fast paced iso game later. Take this single player event set up and players can have certain quests in certain kingdoms, and in others maybe they have better straight up farming areas, or an end game with content that doesn't trigger a team betrayal for companions like in Baldur's Gate.

I could be wrong, but that "Solving the problems of the region" / "Joining the region" / "Help to Neighbors" looks like a good entry/exit point for visitors if I've ever seen one.

Shards itself has become Legends of Aria, or maybe its still Shards officially, I have no idea lol... https://www.legendsofaria.com/

Hope these Indies and isometric games stick around and make enough money to keep future investors / devs interested in trying their own luck.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Until VR takes over in 5 to 10 years?

Matthew James likes this.
  4. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know that VR will ever take off until some full sensory level stuff. But... if I hear one more person say "haptic feedback" about VR tech I might have to eat one of my hats. Plus the Japanese aren't going to let the other markets decide whether or not they implement their more adult oriented stuff, so even if no one else is doing it, the Japanese will get us across the finish line. I had to rework my timeline in my own vaporware story with some Alt History stuff to make it happen by 2025ish, I wouldn't commit to VR headsets being popular just because I think the more discreet / easier to walk with things like eye glasses and augmented reality on phones will make taking the bus or flying way more tolerable. For those of us in car country, we have to wait until self driving cars for any big break in our morning routines. Getting the tech out ahead of VR culturally will do a lot to make actual hardcore VR playing more commercially bankable on the advertising / event side of things.

Right now it looks like more hardware money and ported games, however I'm not religious about following it. If I had to guess, flight sim / racing stuff will be ahead of the curve so a space-ship VR game will probably be the first. Star Wars Tie Fighter would be a good nominee for a VR remake, and Marvel / Disney is primed with the IP and a themepark to make it possible.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh man that voiceover is so hilariously terrible I can't even

Paul Bellow likes this.