peved pets

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Wolfgarr, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Wolfgarr

Wolfgarr Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thought i would start out a discussion about what gets your goat when reading a book.

Number one top pet peeve or irritation so to speak when reading for me is a Main character that doesn't have the common sense god granted a rock. This can take multiple forms...From not being able to figure out that when you stick your hand in a lava lake your going to be burned..To the serious cliché that seems to be way to common..Boy meets girl who likes him and is clueless.. Granted..what one person see's as common sense etc is based on their age and life experiences and education. It still chaps my hide when authors use these in their books.

Never said i was the smartest guy in the world..But even a 10 year old knows that you don't stick your fingers into a light socket.. etc etc

What gets your goat when reading?

2. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You want the full list, or the abbreviated version?

Deus Ex Machina
    Mary Sues
    Unrealistic harem fantasy
    Author protagonist substitutions

Jay likes this.
  3. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Characters who make choices purely to allow the author to advance the plot.

4. Crowbaits

Crowbaits Level 9 (Burgler) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    England - not New - the old one across the pond
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I get annoyed with tired old clichés both in speech and in plot......you know the sort of thing........he looks into her eyes, she looks into his, passions arise and the next thing they're aligning their plumbing..... Bollox! Never any humour, and apparently no fun, just the earth moving for them like "Stomp the Ground Day in Stompville.
    I get a bit upset with writers who prune their descriptive powers to the minimum and bored with those who use them to excess.
    I find it tiresome if there are far too many characters named. David Weber's "Safehold" series is a case in point and I have to do a week's homework before I can begin a new one ( that's just a wee grumble 'coz he does write brilliant books).
    I have become accustomed to your funny ways of writing and spelling in the New World but one or two things still get me. In the UK, the past tense of to creep is crept and not creeped, to shine is shone and not shined etc. I should not go on, it's a very minor thing.
    Finally, I find it hard to appreciate a book which is all drama and no humour, a bit of a chuckle acts as a tension release and provides a welcome counterpoint to the dramatic crescendo.

Just my two pennyworth.

5. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You should write and read in American like normal folks then...

6. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm British, I just think that line is hilarious because it has [genuinely] been used on me.

Wolfgarr and Crowbaits like this.
  7. Crowbaits

Crowbaits Level 9 (Burgler) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    England - not New - the old one across the pond
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yup, Americish is a bit like English.......but not necessarily in a good way.

8. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lately it's badly translated russian LitRPG for me. Gave up on Mirror World because of my impatience.

Wolfgarr likes this.
  9. Wolfgarr

Wolfgarr Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    HAHAHA.... i don't know why but you have me laughing hard right now.

I get it..I do. And normaly the slight differences don't bother me. The one instance though that does is the word "Honor" You lot all spell it "Honour"..Every time i see that it makes me cringe.

Ha yea tell me about it.. Not to mention that they claim it takes $3000 to translate one book. (play to live Author) And thats why they are taking so long to release the already written books in english.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  10. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The only spelling of Honor I agree with is Honor Harrington...

It's donut that bugs me. There's not just a U missing, there's a G and an H too. That's nearly half the word!

11. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Blame Noah Webster. His dictionary deliberately changed words spelling in order to set apart the US from Britain.