Pixies...when will they bond?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Mister Bill, Jan 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good question! I assume their grandparents become angels.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  2. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just don’t see it. He chooses the smallest/least thing to drop down the well when he can. He also chooses 1 of each thing from the garden to drop down the well. I really don’t think he’ll go “oh, we only have 1 of this rare plant and we might see it in two years in the dungeon? Down you go!”
    Just doesn’t make sense to me. Plus, the dungeon might modify it, right? Then it would be a different plant.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  3. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t remember the forest thing but it’s an interesting idea. Sounds expensive to set up if it’s a safe zone.

4. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As a dungeon master or a dungeon keeper I thought they were allowed to appropriate a specific amount of DP’s for what they want. So theoretically he could encourage the dungeon to grow them. Like I mentioned a room specifically for them would be the best.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yup. And it can get really expensive. So, maybe in the far future he could afford it and go for it.

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t know if I would make it a safe room. I don’t really think he needs that. He just needs a room where they would all be located. That way he wouldn’t need to search the entire dungeon.
    There are ways to augment any cost. Adding specific structures to the dungeon could increase the dungeons DP’s. The two entrances he has now might be capable of increasing his DP’s. Figuring out how to add a magic core to the dungeon should run the DP’s through the roof.

Mister Bill likes this.
  7. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like the safe room idea. Call it the Pixi Genesis Arboretum. Otherwise you might have anything mess with them while they are vulnerable.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They'd deliver a child into the Dungeon. The Dungeon is limited in the beings it can create, not the beings that can inhabit it. There are entire worlds within the labyrinth, its home to billions of beings born as and after it expanded.

Mister Bill likes this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The chickens are Dungeon creatures that respawn 5/day. And its not the Dungeon directly benefitting from them being eaten, its the monsters that benefit from having something to feast upon.

Plus its a room so it has to have some effect on the rest of the Dungeon.

According to what we've been told its possible to remove Dungeon creatures as long as they haven't yet grown dependent on its mana for survival. Meaning cubs can be removed, not grown beasts. Plants are probably the same, the old ones depend on the Dungeon to survive, the seeds and seedlings can survive outside.

There is one element here that we haven't really talked about. The chickens produce 3 eggs/ day. Those eggs can presumably be gathered and taken out of the Dungeon, to be used for cooking. That means rooms can be created for farming resources without risk.

Even if its only animals that can be turboreared inside, its still huge.

Do you guys think there is a max amount of rooms (increasing with level/ number of floors) or could they make as many chicken coops as they want? Everyone could be drowning in chicken eggs.

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dragon, this is my only issue. If the dungeon is spawning chickens it is using its own mana to do so. That is a cost at the dungeons on expense. My understanding is that the dungeon creates reliquaries “loot balls” in order to help attract adventurers in order for the dungeon to feed. If the dungeon could eat it’s own spawn why would it go to any trouble attracting creatures or adventurers inorder to feed. Do you not think that what you are posing would be the same as Ricther summoning a rat in book 8 to eat? It just seems to me that a dungeon chicken coop that spawns chickens for itself or others to eat would be a net loss of energy. The dungeon isn’t in the business of losing energies it wants to feed by gaining energies from the outside world. The dungeon must feed in things brought into the dungeon not spawned in the dungeon. I believe what Roswan had done is built a chicken coop to increase the amount of eggs they get by the bonuses granted by the village and the growth rate increase in the dungeon.

Where A chicken normally lays 1 maybe two eggs on the rare occasion in normal circumstances. The villages fertility rate grants an increase. Then the dungeons growth rate causing a chicken to grow say three times faster would cause that chicken to lay eggs more then one time a day. So if that growth rate caused the chicken to grow three times faster the chicken could lay eggs three times a day compared to once. A life cycle enhanced like that would make a chicken lay between 3-6 eggs a day.

I just can’t get over the suggestion that the dungeon would spawn anything to feed itself. That just goes completely against the dungeons desires in my mind.

Please explain it to me if I am confused about something or misunderstand.

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think there is any limit on rooms that the keeper/master want to add for dungeon growth and development. They do have to pay for the construction of those rooms in some form.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it's an efficiency thing. Like spawning a fully grown monster is more expensive than having a monster have a baby then accelerating its growth.
    By having chickens propagate, they can supply extra energy to the process from their own growth reducing the cost of accelerating the real monsters' growth. It wouldn't be a big change in efficiency but if Richter wasn't taking any then it would help overall.

If the dungeon isn't going to directly spend points to grow something, then the something will need to get energy from somewhere else

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, most certainly! If you were going to put Pixies in there you would definitely want the room to be safe. My thinking was more of a botanical garden for the enhanced growth and any magical benefits added. Then you would have a surplus are where those same trees and herbs could be harvested and returned to the Village. Herbs would produce faster then the chickens as they grow faster naturally.

The room I’m thinking of would be more like a botanical treasury inside the dungeon. I wasn’t really thinking of it as a safe room to protect anything. More like a private botanical garden you have to fight to enter. I see it in a way like the Egg Genesis Chamber. It would be a good way to use the benefits of the dungeon without creating a large cost. Instead of a few natural born chickens escaping and feeding the dungeon. A botanical garden would drive many wild with desire to find it in the dungeon drawing in lots of adventurers where some will be eaten trying to find it. Once found the node road would greatly improve the safety of the garden for any villagers growing to it. With only villagers having the right to enter for all others it would be a lost garden of eden. People would search for the garden hearing stories and gaining some evidence of it but they couldn’t enter it. The villagers would have an ability to make a good living from it and it would supply saplings and other rare plants like the Egg Genesis Chamber does eggs for the village.

Yeah it might be a bit Devious but it is for the village.

Mister Bill likes this.
  14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the ambient mana adds to the rapid growth of creatures. I think it also increases the chance of some random magical benefit or change to those things in the dungeon.

The only real expenditure I recal is spawning. That does take DP’s.

I think the name of the room means something to. It is the Egg Genesis Room. Like the woman giving birth to here “fertilized Egg a zygote” the chickens drop their fertilized eggs then they hatch. I don’t believe the dungeon is using a daily amount of DP’s to feed itself those few chickens that escape. It has been said several times that no one can not eat mana. I think the dungeon being a living thing still can’t eat mana. To me it’s the same exact thing as eating a summoned rat or drinking the water from a melted ice dagger.

@shout I totally agree on the efficiency thing. I just don’t believe it’s eating it’s own mana.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  15. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well it's not, the creatures are eating more power not the dungeon. It's allocation not growth by consumption. They do grow fast on their own, yes, but
    Screenshot_20210127-114919~2.jpg

16. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm. It might count the small amount of mana as worth it because it gets mana from people being inside, right? And the more folks that go inside the dungeon for any reason mean more possibility of injury and death. Plus surely it gets some benefit from the dungeon master living inside and that’s his bedroom.

Plus it has to be negligible, especially with that lair that was just quoted.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Dungeon isn't consuming the chickens, the monsters are, allowing them to be generated slightly faster. In terms of DP its a zero sum game.

I think of monster generation speed and other seemingly arbitrary rules (the Dungeon can't directly consume the mana in spells nor can it pull the adventurers into the floor or bring the roof down on top of them) as something the Labyrinth enforces to ensure the adventurers will have a reasonably fair shot (and therefore will return and bring others) at survival, more than it is something the Dungeon is limited to by physical laws. An egg genesis chamber allows monsters to be generated slightly faster, in this case because it is producing chickens for other monsters to eat.

My understanding is that the creatures a Dungeon creates are not mere summons, they are flesh and blood creatures born from its magic. Eating them is no different from eating other animals, except they are saturated with the Dungeon energies that brought them to life.

Also Richter harvested some pigs from the Dungeon in book 7 and the villagers ate them. The Dungeon really did not like Richter bending the rules like that. Seems to be a gray area without a hard rule as adventurers aren't punished for that kind of thing, but Dungeons resent them taking more than their reward and can apparently strike back in various ways.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On a sidenote, the primary way the Dungeon is currently feeding seems to be from the POP, its harbinger/IoP, and possibly the Labyrinth. I don't think adventurers will make up a particularly big chunk of its DP generation in the near future, unless humanoids give a lot more than labyrinth creatures that already give 10 times the normal amount of DP per level.

It does open the question of whether awakening will have increased the flow of power from the pop. Would be nice if it doubled the amount of DP generated by the powers.

Johan and Captain BlackJack like this.
  19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks for the quote. As always you are jonny on the spot.

My understanding is that all things in the dungeon are magical constructs or creatures created by a living dungeon. The purposes for its creations are to draw in other living things like adventurers to feed the dungeon. Dungeon creatures don’t kill to feed themselves. They most likely need to kill in order to level up but they don’t need the food as they are preserved by the dungeon. Those dungeon created creatures are expected to kill living creatures or adventurers to feed the dungeon. In the case of the chickens their life energies go to the dungeon. The Experience what little there is would go to the creatures killing them for development as would their flesh. As I understand all of the dungeon creatures flesh is reabsorbed and recycled. I would think that a creature eating a chicken would still absorb that chicken as well. The dungeons can definitely absorb and manipulate any type of material. Even so the dungeon is the real creature feeding. Dungeons just eat and grow by using its on magical constructs.

So, are you saying that we should consider the Egg Genesis Chamber a lair? I’m not so sure Roswan had the power to build a lair. I would think that if he can create a lair it would cost more then the meager amount he spent. Also that mentions them being spawned from nothing as compared to being born from dungeon spawned creatures. In both circumstances the dungeon had started off by spawning it’s own creatures. The only difference being born of dungeon spawned creatures instead of a level 12 spawned creature coming from no where. All of those would have been born of dungeon “mana”. Neither of which I believe could feed the dungeon. Because you can’t eat mana and they were all begotten by mana. Although all true dungeon creatures live on the dungeons “mana” As they die without it. I still don’t think a living creature such as the dungeon can eat it’s own mana.

It was asked if a dungeon spawned creature could be taken out and raised like a normal creature. I don’t think the answer was a confirmation but only an assumption. I think it only said it was possible. I would make the assumption that a magically created pregnant creature would still be living on magic as well as its fetus. It could be that the gestation time might play a big role in that as well. I know that the dungeon also operates on a means of DP’s the system of dungeon pints is more numerical quantification of all of the things it absorbs. That numerical quantification not only counts for the flesh of creatures it consumes which feeds the dungeon their life energies. It accounts for the ambient mana it absorbs along with anything else it can consume. Then it uses those quantified DP’s for a system of cost for the dungeon keeper and the master.

I don’t believe any ambient magic feeds a dungeon. It only grows the dungeons knowledge and abilities.

Mister Bill likes this.
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A Lair is a different type of building from an egg genesis chamber, but they happen to do something similar. The biggest difference I can see is that a Lair is a monster-controlled room thereas an egg genesis chamber is a more limited adventurer-controlled version(something I imagine would normally show up on far deeper floors as a reward, if it shows up at all). I doubt its limited to breeding chickens, that's probably the least sensible way it could have been used. Richter still has a few of those insectoid eggs left, now that would be a great use for the room. It might even be able to create more of them without a queen.

The creatures are magically created, but they are still made of the same materials as a free range version. The Dungeon uses magic to sustain them and to make them grow at an accelerated pace, somehow giving them the nutrients they need. The act of creation from nothing is seemingly more expensive than growing next generation creatures from cubs.

How that works is a mystery. Maybe existing Dungeon creatures can absorb energy the Dungeon is passively bleeding off into the atmosphere thereas new creatures have to be created wholly from its own DP?

Mister Bill and ShoughtLoud like this.