Poll! Book 8 re-read thoughts!

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Mister Bill, Feb 5, 2021.

?

Did you all like Book 8 better the second time around?

Poll closed Mar 26, 2021.
  1. Yes, it was better time number 2.

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No, you have brain damage, it was worse.

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. It was about the same.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. I didn’t read it because I hate fun.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don’t have an opinion because I also hate fun.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He should definitely try and get a Mechanical Crafting Skill, would be useful for a lot of things, including Mechanical Golem Building.

2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ricto super lucky in real life should be dead cause misclassing:

f.e richto mix dude now be: str : 99 wids 70 bla bla

richti wizz: int 200, wis 200 -> be immortal necrolitch immune to mutations, magics, poison, staby staby.. and be casting blood harvest/ fire tornadoes nonstop slaying through 100 levels of hells killing major lvl daemons

I don't love the class, he's now a spell sword pretty much or a spell-mace this does not lead to the min max max dmg output build. or does it? Hmm Randy is kinda like Richto too, but why??

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well a min-maxed character has huge strengths and equally huge weaknesses. That makes sense in a video game where there are zero consequences( assuming no perma death), but no one with any brains would do it if their lives were on the line. A balanced build trades peak power for survivability

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can see this as a possibility, especially early on, f.e. you are slow -> richto gets eaten by a wolf. But when you gain some basic suitability f.e. after lvl 20 why multi class then?
    In a game its easy, narrow corridors, dmg ranges for monster etc.. and spell caster will nuke all from distance, except teleportation dudes/arrows/ other mages.

Just think about the witch doctor who was a lvl 35 mage, he was a monster, still died to Richter's min max class. Hmm maybe im trying to drag this min max theory too close to the land when it has different rules and usages..
    Still his current build feels like a very well rounded expert on all things. Which should not be possible.
    "A master Golem artifice, And enchanter, And MageXYZ.., And Mace Lord, And Sword lord, And Archer... " feels strange man, it's kinda off

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter isn't min maxed. The goblin was killed by a melee fighter at close range.

Besides in the land you need somewhat balanced stats or your body will become a freakish, useless thing. Some builds could kill you, like extremely high insertstat without a high con to support it.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The mechanics that aleron put out are very much against the min/max build tactics. We start seeing this early on with charisma being needed to learn the charm spell, rather than magic just relying on intelligence and will power. Though it is flat out stated near the beginning of book 8, with the strength/agility/dexterity association comments. Also it is stated in the ascension choices that the right combination of attributes determines your maximum life span.

while attributes are not unimportant when determining strength, it is the skills and abilities that truly determine a persons power in the land. The more versatile a person is the more overall effective that person will be. It is the application of power the rules the day, not just having power.

richter s limitless ability throws any need for even a little bit of min/max building out the window.

PokemonThug likes this.
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Limitless is certainly a powerful ability as it removes affinity as a factor. But there are ways to raise affinity. Certain potions(rare cauldron effect), certain foods, likely certain rare Dungeon drops. Such things are out of reach for most people, but not the elite. You can also be born with a maxed affinity.

Which leads us to one area where minmaixng makes sense: Time. Its a critical resource for learning skills, gaining expertise, grinding expertise points and mastering the various abilities you can buy.

Every skill you pursue divides your training time. Having numerous maxed affinities makes it harder to focus.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As for stats they are pretty important. Sure applying it in the optimal way matters, but a smart enemy will be doing the same. Someone with 20% higher stats across the board has a serious advange. Chaos seed humans have 50% higher stats. That will matter. Training hard as a youth can also help build up the stat foundation.

9. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. Richto most def should have taken the daemon piss glass: as a acid based attack 1 swash weapon or a carying container for water later on and place it in the poutch.
    2. Richto should startnpimping out favours, he already got favoyrs from the thief in yves with a handy blade, he should get a bunch of deals like that for protection, loyalty etc... also enemy souls could be sold/teaded hehe

10. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    At the very least he should have used some of that metal to make a water container. Though I suppose it won’t matter after he loots some basic supplies off the dead orcs.

PokemonThug likes this.
  11. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tier 2 body should easily be able to crawl underground for 5 days without water or food.
    A tier 2 body which ia growing, need a ton kf food daily. so not taking water is crazy at very least.

12. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    hmm necromancy and litxh for grants you immlrtality. so min maxing str/con/agi.. is kinda useless.. if there IS a safe way to be a litch with poasibility to turn back to normal(Litxh cant drink potions, get boosts from tasty food etc)...

13. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol! Drag, I think you are right! I was setup into listening about Ricther taking a shit! It might be said I was setup by the previous books being so much better on to listening to it. I was very hopeful when it came out.

14. Gurston

Gurston Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The books were badly split, book 7 should have ended sometime after the place of power duel with the ghast. Book 8 should have been the rest of 7 (buildup and assult on the lich) till just before the shit chapter of book 8. the shit chapter shouldn't exist and the rest of book 8 sould be at the start of book 9.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  15. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could see that. Think I'd do it like:
    End book 7 around the heman murder FEST, maybe even during since Aleron can't stop with stupid cliff hangers.
    End book 8 after the demonic duel +prompts (maybe right as the slime falls on his face and he can't see)

16. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just want a super long, super great book 9 where he gets back to the village and makes progress on quests.

Drasius likes this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A cliff hanger is a great hook from an authors perspective. People really want the conclusion, and they will get it .... in eight months when the next book comes out.

Mister Bill likes this.
  18. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sure, but mid fight is a tad too far in my opinion. It subverts the entire story structure by ending in the middle of a climax. Now, I'm not married, but I'm pretty sure that's a big no no.

Also I got a good chuckle out of 8 months

Drasius, Dragon and Mister Bill like this.