Primer (2004)

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Paul Bellow, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good (confusing) low-budget sci-fi...

2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have stolen so many ideas from this film... so many.

When I first watched it that moment where the present and "future" deviate between the time traveling dudes was a total mind screw, I thought he was orphaned in a world that would ignore that he time traveled and from then on people would interact with empty air as though it was "him". I thought the story went full supernatural thriller for a moment, and then the guy took out his ear buds and things returned to normal. Was a trippy few seconds.

Mostly though the idea of a fixed point / field for time travel is what I've stolen.

Seagrim and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've never been a real time travel story fan. I've seen the trailer for this before, but, it never really interested me that much.

Matthew James likes this.
  4. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its definitely not an edge of your seat experience, but if you can tolerate the slow drip pacing it does eventually build up and give a pay off in the end.

If it was made today all the writer would have had to do to get it some hype is drop some existential buzz words at the SXSW Film Festival. It came along at a great time in 2004 that it missed the "disseminate your movie in autistic clarity for a gender queer audience of drug addicts and alcoholics", usually paneled by neurotic eidetic persons who require flawless cinematography so that they can be adequately distracted from the film.

Upstream Color is about two people whose behaviors are affected by a complex parasite—without knowing it—that has a three-stage life cycle in which it passes from humans to pigs to orchids. "A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives."

That's the blurb for the writer / director's second film. Still haven't managed to see it, or any of his other stuff... so I can't say I was such a fan of the experience that I'll rush into another of the guys movies without a hook.

5. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably not. I've seen 2001 a space odyssey and the shining. Really started getting to the point where I was praying for anything to move the plot forward.

John quote from The Shining, "Dear GOD! Somebody do SOMETHING before I go comatose!"

Don't think I have the patience for that kind of slow pacing, it just hits me as "I don't have much story so I'm going to streeeetch out the scenes and call it atmosphere"

That blurb alone has me shoving it into a barrel, covering it in concrete and burying it in a basalt formation that has been stable for thousands of years, circling the entire area with pure salt, and performing Enochian rituals of Angelic Invocation to seal the area until two days after the end of the universe.

Matthew James likes this.
  6. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Juding from your tone you'd go with something not at all like a pretty prism basalt formation, but an ugly rounded boulder area just peeking up out of the dirt that looks like a puddle of diarrhea, all adjacent to an industrial waste cess pit and a fish canning factory.

The blurb is the same reason I haven't gone on to watch the other stuff. Primer hooked me with "low-fi low-tech realistic Time Travel", sign me up! Fortitude was a TV show that played with a similar life cycle for a parasite that I loved, but it was way busier than the one plotline, and I still haven't watched season 2 because I'm scared it will ruin the perfect experience of season 1.

Seagrim likes this.
  7. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We don't catch live TV since we canceled cable and just use our Roku box for streaming. BBC stuff is kind of hit or miss with streaming services. and it would also cut into our anime watching time.