Professionals their shops and all their toils

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 14, 2020.

1. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm Fancy basement buildings you mean, yes Kindr could really pimp our basements lol

2. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They already started. When Richter had the map table built they needed some magic wood. When they found some they brought back some saplings. Now that's just a start but at least they are heading in the right direction.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could work out in the long run.. still in the beginnings we will be traveling with the ship everywhere and only Abass dudes can come, but after trade deals are done with other settlements/corporations everyone would come to buy our mugs!
    Also great housing strategy too, Build barge'es for the Art'cy ones then they will be living on the river! No Taxes!

4. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With a few beasts(MAULER & DEVASTATOR) and golems(CORE GOLUM) it should be relatively easy to shift the entire path of a river lol.. and Dry the Kingdom out.. or severely reduce the water level in one or few rivers they use.
    doubt secrecy would work.. unless great profits are at stake, like the livelihood of the Captain himself..
    Without oaths or maybe even a secret Trap river passage where the "fake" port might be.. and then the enemy ships could come there and be ambushed.+--

5. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Viking series shows a single dude "Loki" building a ship capable of carying ~50 vikings +provisions across a sea lol
    Single dude.. I mean you only need like a dozzen logs to do it.. but depends form the size, barge is basically some logs tied together..

6. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well we all know that for the village to hit level 2 the 3 levels of the catacombs need to be dealt with. Just seems to make sense that once the areas are under MV control that you "man it" with villagers that actually prefer to live underground. Also that just opens up more mining opportunities which we know Richter/Krom really wants. Also the FOH does what 1 BP/mod point a day and what was it to add another main forge 50? I dont remember exactly but basically the forge can expand fairly quickly so more ore is going to be necesary.

Also there is the cave system that held the dark aberation. Now with the crystal garden being there does Richter want to use it? Well not really but then again what would any conqueror want more, a crystal garden or 2 core buildings soon to be 3. I have a hard time imagining that it tips the scales so why not use the caves. Finally Richters chambers and Randy's office are all underground my not expand that?

Finally tree homes and more are good. I mean isn't that all part of Richter's limitless ability? The MV can research and use things that other places cannot? We already have a hybrid goblinhold/human townhall. Take it the rest of the way.

7. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The dungeon already has the siren rock...perhaps incorporate that into the trap idea. FEED THE DUNGEON!!!!

PokemonThug likes this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I totally understand your concerns. The timing of anything in this series is still all up to Aleron. If he gets series about writing and being an author instead of the center of attention things will happen.

1. Ricther has made a caravel type of ship. It will be capable of river transport and have some limited capability for war. The majority of Yves ships will transport ship for cargo and troops. Randy had told that early in the series. Ricther only needs to use his vessel wisely. Ricthers ship will be capable of taking cargo ships and sinking troop transports. Randy had mentioned Yves being able to Rich his village in a fraction of the time by river instead of Land.

Not every ship would need to be made. Some might be refitted. That’s a huge time saver.

My thoughts are of Ricthers long term goals. I’m not saying AK should change course of the next book or two to implement mi idea.

A port would create a large revenue stream for Ricther.

With the growth of the settlement the river will be covered in more and more mist in time. Ships will need to guide the river somehow.

If Ricther would steal from his enemies homes why wouldn’t he commit piracy against them.

2. Ricther will likely double the size of his village again with Mamas caravan.

I totally agree most will not be soldiers. I hope they aren’t. But is Ricther really wanting to build an army? I thought it was well implied that Ricther wants all his people to work together in common defense. That’s not saying he is making them into an army. I see them being more of a national guard. I personally believe anyone he carry’s to another land would be more of a special forces type.

Ricther could easily pickup sailors from other places including ships. I think many sailors would join him for the better pay and treatment. If not out of concern for the sinking ship they might be standing on. Ricther wouldn’t have a problem doing like others when landing in a port and recruiting hands if not complete crews. Most sailors joined ships as crew hands for trade voyages. I don’t see Ricther needing to do like the British and forcing other crew into service among the high seas.

3. The alliance no doubt is the largest immediate threat. We have been told that their forces have been redirected towards the mist.
    The greatest thing Ricther has going is his confusing mist. Yeah, the Bugbears have received the salve and they will be dealt with hopefully in the next book. Another great point is the mist has just gotten bigger. With the two new powers awoken Ricthers domain and mist should have grown twice as big. That will make them even harder to find and grant them even a larger battle field advantage.

Aleron hasn’t only staged the bugbear battle to come but he has staged a lot of conflict with Yves. The Count has sent some mercenaries already. Ricther still has to return to finish the quest to free the nonhuman slave. Ricther has also built a boat for war and transport that with no doubt will be a superior force. Not saying it won’t face bad odds or Somme difficult challenges.

A port in the mist won’t attract any more danger then the MistVillage. The dungeon and bank announcements drew by far more attention then anything. After all those were world wide announcements. That is on top of those that could already feel the Chaotic emergence in the land.

Maybe I am A tiny Bit eager to see Ricther finish his quest to the twins.

9. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I imagine the kobold population would expand rabidly with better access to food and trade. They would be the natural candidate to help Richter take the lower levels and in turn would be rewarded with large swaths of it. A growing population would make them more likely to trade ore for food, meaning they would start mining more on their own initiative without Richter needing to interfere in the business of his vassals. Always best to let people think they have agency and free will, it motivates them.

The crystal caves are filled with crystal, they are not ideal caves to live in. Also not the best for watching the mountain approaches to the village. I would leave it to Krom and his people to find a good spot to start a hold somewhere close by. Constructing a way up there is the biggest challenge and seems like a government project, though with fifty mist workers and a few earth mages it should be a project that can sorta run in the background. Definitely lower priority than Richter's hillside removal project, once that is done much of the walls will be close to unassailable.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  10. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. Very true. Even the troops transports raised after sinking would help. It helps the revenue even more than you have stated. The MV has many exports are not being taken advantage of. He in no way shape or form has utilized the potions of clarity to the point he should. He can also sell healing, mana, and stamina potions. I would actually rather he sell those than the clarity. Nothing worse than selling something that can help level the enemies you might fight in the future.

2. He very likely could get sailors from the Twins area. Now there is where you would find sailors. It would also be a great way to move towards a true ocean going vessel. Remember Richter gets a huge bump in relation wherever a portal is made. He could actually setup a trade house on the twins and have a portal to it. That way other countries would not know directly where the resources are coming from and if a problem occurs you could always pull the key on the MV side to stop someone coming thru.

3. Yeah war is definitely a catalyst for a settlement either to be destroyed or vault forward.

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1: How will Richter's ship be taking down transport ships precisely? They are not exactly defenceless and on a river it would be hard to outmaneuver the defending warships. Realistically he needs a larger naval force to stop them. Or smaller ships that can abuse the mist and superior speed/ maneuverability to execute hit and run tactics.

I agree refitting ships does not take long. Which is bad, because Yves has a lot more ships it can refit for war in addition to plenty of men to man them. Richter would need to strike fast and hard if a war starts, he loses if it turns into a numbers game. Which is one reason turning river pirate is a terrible idea. In addition to offending merchant houses that might otherwise have been sympathetic or neutral towards the nonhuman cause.

The point about foreign crews is a good one. It would be worth it to journey to the twins in search of manpower as well as seek out any nearby tribes of wave sprites. That should take some pressure off Richter's tiny manpower pool.

There is also that juicy little castle in the twins.

2: Sounds low. I expect he will more than double it, there has to be a reason she is going overland. A small exodus of thousands of migrants would explain her choice.

Special units are good at sewing chaos. But they don't win wars on their own.

3: I fear the size of the mist is tied to the village level not the pop level (though maybe both will have an effect on the size of the domain?). By dealing with the bugbears do you mean their expeditionary force of a thousand or so? If so I agree. The alliance will remain a serious threat for several books.

Richter has one warship. It probably will prove superior to whatever the alliance has available locally. Hard to imagine they can bring their ships across the mountains or that Yves would let a bunch of alliance ships just sail up the river, so whatever they seize from the local tribes and merchants passing by will be it. That could actually be a little funny, canoes, rowboats and a few larger boats designed for river trading against a caravel.

12. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Man we are killing it today with some great posts

1. I had thought that as well. Even the Mississippi river is barely wide enough for true warfare maneuvers. Poke had mentioned river traps. That would actually seem like a better way to handle the Yves ships. In the Elric books Melnibone was protected by a sea maze. Now that would be beyond what we are talking about here but the basic idea is sound.

2. Which will be great of course there would be a pretty massive hit to morale and loyalty...at least at first.

3. I agree...it has to be village level vs pop or he should have gotten a prompt about it. Now that could be that he is just not at the POP yet but I do not think so.

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. On the previous site I had also posted Ricther needs some river outpost and perhaps a fort.

Have you ever read about the battle of Memphis Tenn? Most people never read how it started. The first engagement started on the river. The union had multiple city series ships that sank the confederate armada of copper tin wood and cotton clad ships in no time at all. It was literally a clean sweep. Then they started to shell Memphis and everyone ran.

For your information the Ms isn’t a really narrow river. The Ms river runs between 20 feet and four miles wide. Near Bena Mn the Mississippi River is 11 miles wide.

I’m not opposed to Ricther having any type of other ships being built. I just think his ship will be more like a caravel. La Niña was around 70’ long 16’ wide with a draft a bit over 6’. The Nina had a crew of 24. Caravels were fast and highly maneuverable. The “towers” on caravels gave superior firing positions down into other ships of their time.

Long boats were 65’ to 100’ long. The smaller long ships would draw around a thirty inch draft. A big holdback would be the lack of a cargo hold. A long ship would also be a open hull design where the caravel did not. Shooting ports and towers would definitely give an advantage.

Long ships traveled at 5-10 knots where as caravels traveled at 4-8 knots.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How about enemy ships trying to navigate the confusing mist on the river and getting tossed into the dungeon. Like the land of the Lost! With the increased mana and the increase in the confusing mist Ricther could have mist workers hammer ships hulls by pushing them into river obstructions. They could lay jagged stones in key locations to rip a ships hull. I wonder how hard would it be to see a mist worker throwing a boulder at you ship from 50 yards away in the mist?

Dragon likes this.
  16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I remember those posts. Some good stuff there.

If we're talking innovative ideas, how about stealing a page from david weber and build crankpowered long ships (he used galleys but the principle would be the same) instead of using oars. Not only do you get more speed for a somewhat longer duration (legs are usually a lot stronger and more able to endure sustained heavy use than arms) you also avoid the massive oars that can easily crush people when ships collide, such as during a ramming attack. Its an innovative use of basic principles they already know, so its hard to claim its modern tech. Its just a new, better way of doing something people have always done

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey Drag could do that he is a Viking you know!

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First Battle of Memphis - Wikipedia

This might be an interesting read for some of you. Remember all these ships were on a river. They were also all larger then a row boat, canoe, and as big or bigger then any long boat.

Could someone remind me how many people came to the mist village in the second migration? How many animals and other cargo was brought as well? Can someone tell me how much food and supplies where loaded on those ships? I also need someone to tell me how many canoes brought all those people and goods. For the river peninsula to be such a large place it seems like it’s rivers are mighty small according to some here. As described by some the rivers in the river peninsula are like our creeks here at home.

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Look at the map :)

Richter lives along one of the big rivers. But there are supposed to be thousands of waterways, some of them won't be that deep. Still the fastest trade routes around.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. I think Ricthers number one export will eventually be food due to his crops being blessed with all his bonuses. With that he will need multiple larger cargo ships like the caravel or barges. I like the caravel better though as it is a true ocean going vessel and has a shallow draft as well.

2. When Ricther makes it to the twins he will have the best sailors in the world available to him for recruitment. Hopefully he will find a professional glass smith needing as well.