Professionals their shops and all their toils

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That’s why he will have more ships in the future.

Who knows?

The wood elves might come by a long ship?

Wouldn’t that be cool. Especially if they taught Ricther some special boat building tricks.

2. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have looked at the mapS multiple times.

Why is it none of them really look at a river peninsula?

I know Aleron gave one of them a thumbs up but they all looked a bit sad to me.

Sorry not trying to offend anyone.

Now didn’t someone on the ole site say cargo ships were already obsolete in the Land? I think that was because of portals and node roads.

Dragon likes this.
  3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well portals not so much because they haven't been able to build them for a while. Mostly it was that you could do just enough adventuring to reach some big settlements and then live the easy life using node roads to transport goods between entrances. Air Mages are the other way you can transport a lot of goods quickly excluding nodes and portals. Instant transportation is expensive and often requires valuable and rare ingredients (like the rebirth root for revives), but Air mages with access to high level spells would still be worth a lot of money when it comes to shipping things.

I wouldn't say cargo ships are obsolete, but if a place has access to Dungeon node, or portal or air mage services then cargo ships would get pushed down the list. Besides air mages though it requires the receiving end to also have access or at least proximity to nodes or portals as well.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  4. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Cargo ships would also be useful in places far from leylines and Dungeons.

5. ShoughtLoud

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right, or island nations coastal cities etc. Cargo ships are efficient, and while maybe not the fastest method, it would/ will/ does keep shipping ;D rates with other services at reasonable levels. I doubt they'd ever be really obsolete until portals were vastly more common place. Like if there isn't one in your backwoods village you know of one just a town over and using some sort of instant scribe network could change the destination keys with minimal effort.

Honestly, with mass portals, becoming a scribe with that talent allowing for instant note transmission would become a highly sought after job until texting was invented. I know the acorns the HM uses exist but that would be too much extra work to be growing so many plants to keep the stockpiles of every portal up and going, the scribes would be cheaper in the long run.

6. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think only the most valuable or most important messages would be transported by air mages.

The next step down would be the node road. As you say any advanced adventurer could make a good living a bit safer by traveling the nodes. They would probably carry three to four times more then an air mage. Where as a air mage might be limited more an adventurer could carry what he is comfortable with. The nodes are still in the dungeon and there could always be a possiblity that popping in on a node could land you in front of a beast. I believe most adventurers wouldn’t want to over burden themselves. Adventurers would still carry more valuable items as well.

Ships and wagons come into focus with Loads of grains, meats, ores, and other raw materials. They would travel by bulk in boats and wagons. Immigrants and travelers would travel the same way. The less urgently needed jewelry, jewels, magical items and weapons along with anything else Conceivable would travel by boat, beast, or wagon.

Now that Ricther has renewed old lost technologies I can envision him moving wagons and pallets of goods by dungeon transport. With a simple casting of his spell items will fade into the mouth of the dungeon. Then Ricther only need to have his dungeons guard stationed at the portcullis to open up the gates. Moving the items to and through the portal those goods make their way to the next Dungeon portal within the walls of the next portcullis. Ricther has the extra entrances for his dungeon. He only needs to place them where he wants. The single no brainer is the Hearth Mothers PoP as it will awaken new magic and feed it mana. All Ricther need do is build another portcullis. The Hearth Mother is still on the hook for the portal. She might even be willing to help Ricther man the portcullis on her side.

7. ShoughtLoud

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was including runners in the mix. Even an air mage who only knows weak haste already has an advantage. Faster travel is faster travel and the various levels of Haste would be big boons

8. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thought Magic is likely to have quite a few good Communication Spells.I

If working/Smithing with Glass is a Skill then Richter might be able to Learn it just by Watching an Islander Smith working with Glass, like he how he Learnt Dense Smithing?

Pretty sure that the Quest he got from the Magic Map is for a Castle on an Island much beyond the Twins.

9. ShoughtLoud

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could be there is a trick to working glass, but I think it's just because Glass is a level 2 metal. Krom mentions that it's a rumor among dwarves he knows that Glass is a level 2 metal and that's why its hard to work with but he hadn't confirmed it. When Richter tried to put some in his iron mine the prompts confirmed its a level 2 metal and requires its level 1 version first.

10. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He also mentioned in an earlier Book that only the Twin Islanders and a few other Groups new the Secret of Working with Glass.

11. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m eager to see more thought magic. Thought magic definitely should have some really good communication spells. I would like to see Ricther capable to communicate with his companions with thought magic even if it is one way communication. I also hope to see Ricther awaken thought magic in Hisako.

This post made me wonder.

If The castle or tower whatever it maybe in his maps quest will be another place of power?

Do you think if Ricther takes another PoP could he grant the crystal to Alma? She is a sentient. That would grant both of them more magical power due to them being soul companions.

12. Hastur

Hastur Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    While anything is possible, I doubt it. Her stats work differently and as a result I think that she would not be able to. She also is not able to learn skills. I'm guessing she's pretty OP as it is with Richter finally fully awakening his POP.

13. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alma's Not able to gain Skills YET? But if she Evolved a few more times?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  14. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So are you saying that she can’t be the master of a place of power?

I think she can be. She does share Ricthers unlimited ability. She is also capable of using magic. She already benefits from Ricthers place of power. If Ricther gave Alma the heart crystal of another place of power what would prevent her from excepting it?

If Alma were to awaken another place of power. With each awakening her and Ricther would grow in it as well as they do his place of power. I can hear her chastising Ricther for using the new PoP to gain settlement points. As she receives the depleted crystal and has to work to build it back up.

I don’t think skills or the lack of them would matter.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  15. ShoughtLoud

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nope

Acshyually, she doesn't share his limitless ability. She benefits from it when it comes to stat bonuses being applied to spells she casts yes, but she doesn't have it herself. Also she's already a Master of the same PoP Richter has, making her ineligible for a different PoP. She's already tied to this one. Only capable of using magic due to her connection to the current PoP.

16. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    She isn't a Master of the Mist PoP, she just can access the Perks and Spells of it due to her being Richters Soul Familiar and so shares access to anything (at least Abilities, Perks, Boosts, Spells, Skills, ect) that is Soul Bound to Richters Soul.
    So if Alma can become a Master of a Place of Power then Richter will also gain access to similar things from her via their Soul Bond, so he will gain access to Magic Bonuses, Spells, Boosts and Abilities for her PoP.
    So it might be possible for Richter to gain PoP Abilities, Boosts and Spells for all the Basic Magics if Alma becomes a Master of a PoP of Fire, Death, Earth and Light?

17. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So isn’t Ricthers learning ability unlimited?

For some reason I was thinking that when Alma learned to speak it was do to the unlimited ability of Ricthers.

18. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suspect that Alma has Partial Access to Richters Limitless Ability, as in she is Limitless within the limited things that her Species can Learn and Do but can't Learn and Do things that her Species can't (with a few possible exceptions due to her Soul Bond with Richter).
    While she can Cast Life, Air, Water and Dark Spells that Richters Knows (plus Mist PoP Spells) because of the sharing of Richters PoP Abilities, but is unable to Learn those Magic Skills because her Species can't Learn Skills.
    But I suspect that once she Evolves/Ascends to a Species that can Learn Skills that Alma will then gain full access and Benefits of Richters Limitless Ability.
    As it is now I suspect that she can easily learn even the most difficult and rarest of her Species capabilities, and possibly even many other related Beast and Monster attacks and capabilities that Psi Whatever She is Now couldn't normally learn?

19. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I totally agree.

20. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    She is already bound to a place of power as Richter's familiar. I doubt she would be allowed a second in any form or capacity. If Richter dies the final death or gives up the mist village she should be freed to do so, assuming she can learn skills and have the requisite affinities as per book 1.

ShoughtLoud likes this.