PUBG vs. Fortnite: A game-genre copycat face-off heats up

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul Bellow, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Screenshot-192-800x804.png
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/pubg-vs-fortnite-a-game-genre-copycat-face-off-heats-up/

Matthew James likes this.
  2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That whole "you compared your game to my game thing!" is older than Windows 95... and they were mentioned in the article too but through the lens of legal outcomes and not promotion.

The "Best thing since Diablo!" comparisons were probably the best thing that ever happened to Blizzard. That and pushing high quality cutscenes with good voice acting and in game plot.

If game copying actually took the Apple patent troll path you could expect game studio clones to go underground fast in the age of cryptocurrency. Then they wouldn't even have to develop their own game, they could steal someone elses, mod it, and charge money. This happened a lot with skilled tech after the crash, there were tons of people that would have never operated in or supported clickbait advertising strategies and actual scam sites, but there was a huge explosion in that shit as skilled people got absolutely fucked and pushed out of labor markets they helped make viable.

I think PUBG has taken the wrong approach here (I say this without reading their full release, but from the quotes in the article it didn't sound like a smart move), creating something worthy of emulation is great, but it sounds like the potential for Fortnite's battle royale setting (unique to Fortnite's IP) has the potential for expansion and improvement in unique directions compared to the original. PUBG could have aimed to be the DOTA / LoL in attitude with their reaction to Fortnite, but instead they came out sounding like the original fan-made WC3 maps that were only a good point of divergence for other game makers.

However I'm so out of the loop on games I had no idea this style of play had become popular. Have to say it makes sense after years of f**cking win-obsessed nerds camping sniper spots on never changing maps.

Viergacht likes this.