Quarantine Reads

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by 2tymes, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I assume you are talking about the mistborn series. That one is a great one to start with. I also really liked the way of kings, but a warning it isn't finished yet.

2. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I enjoyed Mistborn and the way of Kings. I even enjoyed the steelborn series

3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, not any established authors or anything, but reddit serials (/r/redditserials) is a good source of extra reading entertainment. It's basically redditors who found a writing prompt (/r/writingprompts) they enjoyed writing so much they started making it into a novel, and they post each chapter in the subreddit.
    The Nothing Mage is at some 73 parts and is really really good.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton, the first two/three bks are the shortest and not quite as great as the rest but they set up the world nicely. Anita Blake is a Licenced Animator (someone that can raise the Dead as Zombies for Legal Court reasons, Therapy, History Research, ect, for money(she's a natural born one so she has to do it or it happens spontaneity without her control, turns out later she's more then just an Animator)).
    She also works part time as a Consultant for the Police that Investigate Pretanatural Crimes and is a Licenced Vampire Hunter (with one of the biggest kill counts), and the series (other then a couple of shorts) starts Two Years after the Government has allowed Vampires to become Legal Citizens, but without thinking through all the changed and things that should have been altered before hand.
    She has a certain degree of Ange management issues and certain hangups, and very strong dislike (any even hatred) for most Vampires. In the first book the Ruling Vampire in th City makes her an other she can't refuse after something is quite literally secretly Tearing Master Vampires Apart in the City.
    In later books as she becomes more powerful she becomes more and more involved in the secret worlds/lives of different Pretanatural creatures and gaining more and more in common with them over regular humans.
    Great reads.

5. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you read all the books?

6. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes so if them, accept for her newest Short Story in an mixed Author Anthology Book that I'm waiting to arrive right now, would be here in a day or three.
    The first book in the series in called Guilty Pleasures, although there is a short story that was written several years before hand (both in book world and actual world), just after Anita became an Animator in Animators Inc and shortly before she became a Vampire Hunter (and before Vampires were Legal Citizens), in it she discovers some of the issues that can raise from Raising a Zombie without knowing all the facts.
    The first three books have also been made into Comics and there is another Prequel story in Comic book from from when she has just starting working with the Police, in it we see how she meets several future characters, including an enemy and a somewhat unwanted love interest, amongst others.
    Her newest full book will be out in August.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice. Still, for the rest of you, the reason I ask is because the later books have quite a bit of erotica in them, of all sorts including some slightly extreme stuff. So keep that in mind :)

8. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True but at least there's actually a good reason for them and not just gratuitous. They have good combat scenes, interpersonal scenes, mystery and character growth. Plus some great lines, for instance at the start of the first book it says "I've none plenty of Vampires and plenty of Scumbags but this is the first Vampire Scumbag, especially one that was trying to hire my services" . And later in the series (much later) where she says "I'm an equal opportunity Killer, Male or Female, Black or White, Human or Not, Living or Dead, Young or Old, or anything else I'm willing to Kill you all".
    Probably the reason why that she's got a personal kill count higher then many war films. She's a kind, honourable, loyal, talented and brave woman, with some severe anger management issues, (some buried family issued as well), distrusting and with boardline hatred for most vampires that is virtually pathological (at least in the beginning of the series, later on starts to get control of many of these issues, and gains a lot of friends in the Pretanatural groups, pretty much most of her friends actually and some series distrust aimed at her because of it).

Dragon likes this.
  9. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just finished reading Legend of the Arch Magus. I guess the best review I can give it is I read the 3 books that’s out and then I joined him patreon just to read book 4 and some of book 5. At first it was just an enjoyable read nothing ground breaking but now that I’ve finished book 4 he did a good job of slowly building a good back story and depth. The latter books seem like they have the potential to be better than the early ones

10. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Ell Donsaii books by Laurence Dahners, actually pretty much any of his books.

11. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I prefer reading Litrpg Books to listening to them, I get more out of them that way, although if I really like them I will also get the Audio version as listen to it while also read along side it. Although if I read it enough times then I can still listen to it without reading alongside and still fully enjoy the stories.

Dragon and ShoughtLoud like this.
  12. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    a good idea

13. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Book 4 in Life Reset is out

14. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm going through The System Apocalypse and Emerelia series right now and like them both.

Also, I read the three Reborn Apocalypse books. They were like a combination of The Ten Realms and Resurrection Of The Strongest Sword God series

15. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Emerelia is a great Series.

I am rereading Mackey Chandlers books, starting with his 'April' series and then his 'Family Law' series. They are SF books and a set in the same universe but about a century or so apart and a interconnected. Interestingly they are both still be written together with some referring things that have yet to happen or might happen in the other series but before it is written in the other series, works as a very good teasers. Well worth reading.

16. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am enjoying working through the spellmonger series right now.

Andrew Lynas and Johan like this.
  17. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll have to re-read and get the newest books for it as well.

18. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Read the latest one a couple weeks ago. It is setting up for some serious stuff.

Can't get into wheel of time. IDK.

At book 76* depends how you count, could be 176. Of StarForce lol

PokemonThug likes this.
  19. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haven't read that for awhile either, plenty to catch up in.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Has anyone here read Dungeon lord series by hugo huesca? Quite good.

I've also enjoyed the challengers call series.