Question for Authors

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Chris131313666, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Chris131313666

Chris131313666 Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Financially, is LitRPG worth it?

I'm writing a LitRPG right now and it's going well but it wouldn't take much to alter it and make it a fantasy novel. LitRPG seems kinda niche... which means less buyers but also easier to get noticed as an author... so I'm curious. Financially, is it worth it?

(I joined just to ask this question, but this place seems cool, so I'll probably hang about).

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd say it depends more on the book/story than what category you lump it into? Also, Amazon doesn't technically have a LitRPG category.

Why not call it LitRPG and market toward a general fantasy audience?

Look forward to hearing more thoughts...

Alexis Keane likes this.
  3. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll say this. This fall I published both LitRPG and a Portal Fantasy. The LitRPG sold better, despite being the first one I'd ever written so had problems. But, as the months pass, the fantasy is maintaining rank better.

Furthermore, if the story is better told as LitRPG, write it thus. If better as a fantasy, do it. You want to write the story to be the best it can be and you'll get your readers like that.

4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’d think that LitRPG is smaller and that might have something to do with it. As a smaller genre, books don’t have the same risk of falling into obscurity. Also, there are diehard fans that are eager to read more books like the ones they like.

It would definitely explain how some of the more successful authors have been successful, even though their books are fairly mediocre, at best.

I’d also suggest writing the book as it should be written. If it turns out to be a portal fantasy, make it the best portal fantasy you can write. If it turns out to be LitRPG, then make it the best LitRPG you can write.

5. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ^^^
    This. There's no point sticking in pages of stat tables just because you think that it'll sell better... You'll just end up with a book that feels as if stuff's been added to it at the last minute... Do what's right for the book you're writing... I'm sure the one I'm writing would be more popular if I added reams and reams of blue screens, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better...