ALL THESE Ran’dolphinius

Discussion in 'World Mechanics' started by Johan, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Something similar probably happens in Knightly, Mage and Monastic Orders and the like, many of them also probably their own versions of Techniques and Arts that they can pass on to their Members?

Mister Bill and Dragon like this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Adventuring guilds too. Especially second, third, etc. generation adventurers.

Mister Bill likes this.
  3. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good points. Maybe he was sorta on house arrest and he gave the fuzz the slip.

4. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, you’d want to give your own every possible advantage, especially if they’re among your loyal followers and there are tons of dangers in the world. Plus official things like level 3 buildings can only add to those advantages.

5. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    please email this to aleron haha. make sure to sign it Dragon.

Belgared and Mister Bill like this.
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why?

7. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have read too many books where the aristocrat characters are oddly stupid. In a world were there are monsters and such, no aristocrat should be stupid like I feel he will make the new King of Law.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some nobles were inbred fucktards (and i'm being generous) that should have been put out of their misery before they could spread that misery to the rest of the world.

On the whole I agree. There is way too much belief in the hollywood version of the haughty nobles and the downtrodden slave-serf, and not enough people willing to look at the hard historical facts. Even serfs had homes and fields of their own, along with rights and duties such as the levy. Not to mention the terrible, terrible taxes that we still have to pay.

People have a tendency to forget that at most 1-2 percent of the populace were engaged in some form of military activity. Often there were hundreds of times the number of peasants that the lords had men-at-arms. Said peasants often had access to spears because they were expected to serve in levies or for simple self defense.

There are many, many examples of a local nobleman ending up dead because he pushed the peasants too far. That kind of thing was punished of course, but it still happened.

Belgared and Mister Bill like this.
  9. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I got to meet Otto von Hapsburg a long while back. His family ruled the Austro-Hungarian empire and they brought their kids up to do the same. The guy could speak every language spoken in the empire (a crap ton) as well as English and French. Fluently, IIRC.

If you raise your kids to be rulers then you’ll educate them well, not just train them to fight. That should mean decent decision making a lot of the time (thus defeating those stereotypes you and I both dislike). Add better nutrition and baby, you got a stew going.

Belgared and Dragon like this.
  10. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Level 7 (Cutpurse) Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah... I feel like in a fantasy world with actual power gaining mechanics the scions of nobility would be even more rigorously trained.

Usually when a prince or king ends up as an over-entitled idiot it's on purpose. Someone is pulling the strings from behind and making sure the crown is weak so the nobility can get away with things, or
    make a grab for the throne. No ruler in his right mind would let their heir be a dead-beat in a world where people can level up.

On the actual topic of Ran'Dolphinius... Why doesn't he have the mage profession? He's a master of Water Magic... Is there some kind of limit or penalty to having more than 1 profession? The books don't mention anything about it.. but I did wonder. Maybe only 1 combat profession.. but you can have more than one crafting profession. Or maybe once you take a specialty you can't get another profession.

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Being insane can be an asset though XD. One of the danish kings in the 1880'ties (I think might have been earlier, this is mostly from memory) was deeply disturbed but understood how to use it to his advantage.

For example, during negotiations with Prussia they realized he was wanking at the table. Imagine these fine assholes sitting there, pretending to be gracious and wise - only to realize the opposing leader was busy. The germans just plain diden't know what to do or say to that, allowing the king to dominate the negotiations despite being in the weaker position. His shamelessness and insanity allowed him to control the negotiations.

12. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I dunno. We’ve had powerful countries in the past here with lazy idiots as kings.