Ready Player One Movie

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Dean Chalmers, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Dean Chalmers

Dean Chalmers Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

33%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looking forward to the film and really wondering how they're going to adapt the story. Spielberg's style can get hackneyed nowadays, but he's brought depth and emotion to adaptations before (like Jurassic Park the book felt very distant and clinical compared to he movie, IMHO. That's just how Michael Crichton wrote, but Spielberg saw what the film needed to be more full of "wonder" and its own thing.)

Ready Player One, the book, was much more about the mysteries involved than the actual challenges... Many of which involved demonstrating mastery of classic arcade games, or having memorized 80's movie dialogue. I can't see them doing that for the film, at least not nearly to the extent as in the book.

I do hope they keep the Tomb of Horrors, though... I would imagine they could have worked out a deal with Hasbro, it would be great advertising for D&D.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wow, glad to see TJ Miller is actually a fan of the story. Maybe he's there to be the cold-blooded badass of cold-blooded badasses so they can downplay the very rapey vibe that was given to most of the real world creeps, people that the MC had to dodge his whole life. Giving the stacks a more James Cameron Dark Angel vibe, where the post apocalyptic people are just trying to get by and things are tough. Would make the people that die in the stacks way more sympathetic.

Plus other than having an RV and a (rightfully) paranoid mindset, the best friend character didn't ever really get a head to head confrontation that would occupy them during the final fight that would have show-cased the skills of the individual player. It got all "We fly giant robots now!" super fast towards the end of that book.

Calling it now, TJs character fights the best friend character in the final show down, loses everything when his employers use the zone bomb (or whatever they called it!) that wipes everything, and has to rely on the benevolence of the MC to restore his character so he can continue to be an asshole. I'm curious if they'll even let the character keep his interest in the scavenger hunt... because that sort of hyped up the MCs knowledge. If he's still a guest of the best friend character at the one hang out they had, it could be an example of the bounty hunter doing a job for pleasure and profit.

4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He's supposed to be like Boba Fett? lol maybe that was a joke...

I like your thoughts, though. If it happens, ONE MILLION GOLD FOR YOU! ;)

5. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was already looking forward to the movie, but now I've got virtual gold riding on this!

I don't know that its a joke because of what he said about doing the voice. I could see a super serious menacing voice discussing the scavenger hunt and then he gets egg on his face from the teenage kid and flees out of embarassment. "Uhh well, I got places to be, people to kill." That or it feeds into the fact that the MC kid hasn't left his starting planet. TJs sinister boba fett dude gets shown up on trivia, challenges the MC to a duel, and then the upstart that just showed off his game trivia says that won't be possible. Whole room goes quiet, the ball is back in the court of one of the best pvp players in the game. Suddenly the MC is standing alone again, and then its revealed that he hasn't left the starting planet for students, and a sudden reversal of fate sees him as the butt of the joke. Sinister voiced wannabe Boba Fett then bursts into a fit of laughter, doing the telltale TJ Miller wheezing laugh from Silicon Valley along with the rest of the people in the hang out.

The real question is how much of the trivia are they going to pull off... and how much bank is Christian Slater going to make for a suprrise cameo.

Cadwe and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When does it come out?

7. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Had to google it, I had thought it was this year but it looks like March 2018.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yup, it's soon. Well, in relative terms.

9. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The movie for now looks nice. Hopefully they wont mess it up. Since many references in the book are linked to spielberg i think he really wants it to succeed

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. Dean Chalmers

Dean Chalmers Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

33%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think Spielberg said he wasn't going to use any references to films he directed or produced. he did say no Back to the Future Delorean in the film... But I think that's only mentioned once or twice in the book anyway.

I wonder if they'll get the rights to Ultraman and use that in the movie, it was a pretty big thing in the end of the book.

Cadwe and Paul Bellow like this.
  11. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lots and lots of Easter eggs.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid: