WIP Realm of the Nine Circles (Book3): Rise of the Dreamspawn

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by PJC, Jul 25, 2017.

1. PJC

PJC Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

57%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Got about 35k words on the page for book 3 and things kind of ran off the rails. I'm editing what I have so far because I discovered some things about the world and characters as I was writing and that caused my outline to jump the track.

It's all good though. I'm just retooling.

The original story was supposed to be based on Dante's Inferno. That turned out to be 1. way too pretentious 2. outside my wheelhouse 3. beyond my level of scholarship. Some of the underpinnings of that concept are still there in the moral peril involved in the choices of the different characters. That, and some character names. I want to ramp up the moral choices a bit in the third book. I'm definitely not using the same moral "ruleset" as Inferno, though...I'm happy with that choice for reasons I won't get into...

Anyway, I have a complete character leveling and stats system built for the book, complete with calculators and spreadsheets. The game world is still crystallizing and I had enough developed to handle things like classes and specialties. I also have a pretty decent magic system. Some magic is sort of a "standard option" with a class or specialty. Characters outside the class can, most of the time, acquire that same magic via learning a spell or enchantment. But the "learned" magic will never progress as far as the "inherent" magic of a specialty.

The third book will also have more crafting and building, but I think part of my problem is building up to that. I need to show the characters building stuff sooner, I think, but I feel I can't do that until I establish more of the world. Anyway...

Shit, this post got rambly. Anyway, after this 3-book series, I plan to write some books and/or stories about the day-to day players who will begin to enter the Realm with the new "Immersion VR" technology.

The first series takes place during the invention, development, and distribution of Immersion Virtual Reality technology. The Realm is rapidly changing, and with it, the "real world."

2. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have book 2 on my kindle right now!

Eden Redd likes this.
  3. PJC

PJC Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen